Scanners by red88gt
Started on: 12-16-2007 09:08 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: fieroguru on 12-19-2007 05:59 PM
red88gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
The auto parts store by me used to let you use their scanner (an Actron I believe) for free so I never had to buy one but they've changed hands & the new owners discontinued this practice. Looks like I'm going to buy one & I'm looking for input. I'd like live data & OB I & OB II after that I'm not sure what I need. I've been looking at the following scanners, they're all priced around $ 179 to $ 300 on line (local is considerably higher), Anyone own or have used one of these and would like to give me their opinion ??? Thanks.

Actron 9190 - AutoXray EZ scan 6000 - Equus Innova 3140
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
do you have a laptop?
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
If you aren't already aware, unless you have an 87-88 4 cyl you can use free software called WinALDL, and buy or make a cable to scan the ECM yourself.

Software and diagram for the cable:
http://winaldl.joby.se/

Edit: I'm assuming though you are looking for something specifically for the Fiero?

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics, Now Compatible with your Mobile Device!

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 12-16-2007).]

red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
No laptop, looking for a hand held unit but I guess I could pick up a used laptop & also use it for other purposes. I had thought of getting software but thought I'd probally spend just as much. The free software doesn't look like it supports
OB II & I'd like to have a scanner to use on my other vehicles besides the Fiero. They break down too.

[This message has been edited by red88gt (edited 12-16-2007).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I have the Auto Xray for OBD I and I like it. I bought it on Ebay. However, you might ad well get one that is OBD II ready since the changeover happened around 1995.
red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
I see the AutoXray 3000 for OB I on Ebay for .99 starting bid plus around $ 14.95 shipping with nobody bidding, and there's several of them I think if you could get it for less than $ 20.00, it would be worth it just to use on the Fiero.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Ive got an acron scanner and its been jsut fone.

Not meaning to hijack but how do you connect to a lap-top?
3800FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800FieroGTSend a Private Message to 3800FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I have the older AutoTap... it works on my 3800SC pretty good.

:>
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2007 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
OBD2 scanners are cheap. You could probably find a cheap laptop to scan the fieros and also get a OBD2 scanner that will work for your other cars. OBD1 is where the money is for scanners. A little over 200 with shipping is the best I've ever seen for OBD1 and there are few features with them. You can buy a code reader for OBD2 for 40 bucks from Harbor Freight. Scanners are a little more but still reasonable.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-17-2007).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

If you aren't already aware, unless you have an 87-88 4 cyl you can use free software called WinALDL, and buy or make a cable to scan the ECM yourself.

Software and diagram for the cable:
http://winaldl.joby.se/

Edit: I'm assuming though you are looking for something specifically for the Fiero?

100% false. 87-88 used different communication standards, and does not work with any available scanning software.
red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replys but so far only two people have really told me what scanners they have & if they like them. I'm looking to purchase a scanner around $ 200 - $ 300 to use on all the vehicles I work on & own. I have the Fiero & one other that's OB I. Other stuff is OB II and I understand new stuff is CAN. Who knows what I'll be buying next & what will go wrong with it. This is to be an all purpose tool that I'll be using for a few years. Any other suggestions ?
PFF
System Bot
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
I just bought an Actron CP9145 scanner. It works great. Full OBD II capability, and can read live data. It will also turn off the SES/MIL light, and can erase codes. It's listed on the Actron website at $299.99, but Amazon.com had it at $99.99. The actron CP9150 includes the same scanner, but also includes GM, Ford, and Chrysler OBD I cables, and a power cord (which you don't need with OBD II). I think that unit was $30-40 more on Amazon.

I didn't get the cables to read OBD I, so I can't comment if it's any good at providing that data. The manual, however, indicates that it can read OBD I trouble codes.

EDIT: Actron 9150 with all OBD I cables is $100 more.

[This message has been edited by Doc John (edited 12-18-2007).]

red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. That's the kind of answers I was looking for. I've seen the Actron scanners on Ebay for slightly more money. I never thought about Amazon, I've have to check it out. I was looking at the Actron 9190 which is the updated 9150. It has CAN which I think is the new standard. None of my cars have CAN but who knows. If you don't have the OB I cable how do you scan the Fiero ?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red88gt:

Thank you. That's the kind of answers I was looking for. I've seen the Actron scanners on Ebay for slightly more money. I never thought about Amazon, I've have to check it out. I was looking at the Actron 9190 which is the updated 9150. It has CAN which I think is the new standard. None of my cars have CAN but who knows. If you don't have the OB I cable how do you scan the Fiero ?

Simple: a paperclip.

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

I get the OBD II car codes read for free at Autozone. Both methods pretty much don't cost anything other than time and/or gas.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post

Archie swapped an LS2 into my car about 9 months ago. This set up completely replaced the Fiero computer with a modified OBD II. So, no OBD I/ALCL/ALDL to stick paperclips in anymore.

Oh, I was wrong on the price for the Actron CP9150 - I just checked Amazon and it's $199.95. This includes all the historic cables. CP 9145 includes the same scanner but none of the historic cables, and is $99.

red88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red88gtSend a Private Message to red88gtDirect Link to This Post
Autozones' scanner won't read my 95 Pontiac Transport. 1995 is the crossover year for OB I & OB II . I believe the port is OB I & it speaks OB II. Their scanner keeps giving "unable to read". The Actron scanner that I borrowed from Murrays Auto Parts had adapter cables.

[This message has been edited by red88gt (edited 12-18-2007).]

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
You might try doing an internet seach for,obd2 on you palm pilot (rather than use a lap top).

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ts303e.htm

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-6-044035.html

Heres a cable supplier (I didn't look to see what cars are covered foreign or domestic???).
http://www.multiplex-engineering.com/cables.htm

http://www.obd2-cable.com/

http://www.carplugs.com/pro...zntJACFQ8nawodz0fFLw

http://www.troublecodes.net...Scanner_Review.shtml
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

I was looking at the Actron 9190 which is the updated 9150. It has CAN which I think is the new standard. None of my cars have CAN but who knows. If you don't have the OB I cable how do you scan the Fiero ?

I have the 9150 and I was of the understanding it handles CAN too; Actron's website says it does but its rather cryptic and simply says "all Actron scanners support the new CAN protocol". I'll be angry if this thing doesn't handle CAN.

By the way, the OBD1 cable is available separately which might save you some money over buying a kit that includes a bunch of cables you'll never use.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2007 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Wife called me last week and said that Amazon was having a sale on the Actron CP9145 for $94.99 and was regularly a couple hundred. It was her idea to buy it for her 99 Maxima and my 97 Chevy truck. I love it when the wife calls me and wants to buy tools!

Showed up at the house today, so I just had to test it out on both cars and checked the sensor values while the engines were running . Works pretty good, but the maxima did not want to release the cable/connector (my truck released just fine), so I got a flashlight and screwdriver and found the piece that was holding my cable hostage and fixed it (might just snip the retainer ring from the cable so I do not have to mess with the screwdriver again.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock