Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What the heck happened to my cruise control ball!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What the heck happened to my cruise control ball! by Gokart
Started on: 07-29-2007 04:25 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: JazzMan on 07-30-2007 07:19 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

It must happened recently because I did alot of work in my engine bay last week and I would of noticed it! Has this happened to anyone else before....and why? Also, I remember in my previous 88GT I had a metal can to hold the vaccum for the cruise instead of this plastic ball. Can I replace this with a metal one?
Marc
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
now that's cute! sotck is a metal can. why? cause it sits right over the muffler , and it is HOT. heat plastic, it gets soft, apply vaccum and it gets sucked in.
any chance you grew an exhaust leak that is hitting right there?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:
now that's cute! sotck is a metal can. why? cause it sits right over the muffler , and it is HOT. heat plastic, it gets soft, apply vaccum and it gets sucked in.

So it was replaced by someone with a plastic aftermarket part? I hope no modifications were done to keep me from replacing it with a stock metal can!

Originally posted by tjm4fun: any chance you grew an exhaust leak that is hitting right there?

Yes...very good chance! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084718.html

Thanks for your reply! I'd give you a positive rating but I already did! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-074763.html

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
It looks like it imploded, but I have a plastic aftermarket vacuum can in my car and the heat from a 4.9 V8 hasn't melted it yet.
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh, just looked at the other thread, looks like you had an exhaust leak blowing right on that poor plastic former ball. try heating it up with a heat gun and put some pressure in it, maybe you can blow it back up!!
ahh well, the metal cans rust out if they are original, so just another expense.
ciourse if your cruise doesn;t work, then you don;t really need it.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the replies! I'll start a thread at the mall and see if anyone has a replacement. I prefer metal because this wouldn't happen again and their easy enough to remove and then repaint if rust appears. I just hope not too many modifications were made so I can't hook up a stock one now.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
You can actually get a new one from FieroStore for $30, Part # 65753
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I never would've thought they'd have it! TKS I need a new EGR valve gasket anyway so I'll call them today.
Marc

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Do you drink tomato juice? 'Cause you can just take a tomato juice can, clean it out well, braze on a fitting, paint it, and use it as a vacuum reservoir.

Ed
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
It's a tad more complicated than that. Inside the stock canister is a check valve to keep the vacuum in if the engine supply vacuum drops down due to hard acceleration, etc.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock