Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  2.8 auto wont go into ANY gear!?! help? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
2.8 auto wont go into ANY gear!?! help? by BobadooFunk
Started on: 07-20-2007 12:56 AM
Replies: 53
Last post by: toadson on 08-03-2007 02:00 PM
BobadooFunk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
please tell me i dont have to replace the tranny... i think ill cry...

i get in car, sit down, start car, move shifter, nothing. it makes no difference what gear i try to put it in or anything... its as though im doing nothing. theres no lurch of move ment at all. i DID make sure the shifter cable is hooked up, and it does move when i change gears...

any ideas?

------------------

See my film creations..
See F-I-E-R-O's Fiero store!
Please help me bring Betty back to life!! i need free parts and tech help!
Black Betty Build
Black Betty, Round 2
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychic_mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for psychic_mechanicSend a Private Message to psychic_mechanicDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the fluid? Make sure it's full and not black/burnt smelling.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, check the fluid level first thing.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
fluid, just went out and checked it, looks like enough (its new too we just put it in a week ago..)
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Did you change the filter? Did it fall out of the holder so your pump is sucking air???? (I don't know if its possible really, but since you just changed it....)
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

Did you change the filter? Did it fall out of the holder so your pump is sucking air???? (I don't know if its possible really, but since you just changed it....)

didnt touch filter, tranny was brought here from kickhill by Back On Holiday... i had to fix the lines though.. should i try some sort of bleeding method?

fiero newbe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero newbeSend a Private Message to fiero newbeDirect Link to This Post
did you hook up the torque converter,because it drives the pump if not the tranny will not pump any fluid so the car won't move.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
the big ol thing IN the tranny right? yea im 99% sure we put it in there...

theres a sensor or switch right? would that affect anything? TCC solinoid..?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
checked blue plug connector, its in... also speedo is peggged..
jweisman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanDirect Link to This Post
When you checked the trans fluid was the car running?....and on level ground?.....and hot?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
yea...
PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
yes, we put the T-converter in. did you hook up the trans fluid lines backwards? -guessing at that. and, the only thing else I can think of is that dent in the trans pan. might want to take a pic and post that.

goodluck
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify, when the tranny was installed did you bolt the torque converter to the flex plate that is bolted to the crank shaft?
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Do either of you know the exact condition of this tranny? Like if any internal parts were changed, or if the tranny was in a running car before it was removed and installed in your car?
Might want to try this trick that has worked for me in the past. I would put the car in nutral and rev the engine to its yellow line for a few seconds and let the RPMs drop down to. As soon as the RPMs get to idel I would put the car in drive and see if it would move. This has worked some of the times for me in the past, I know nothing of automatics so I will not even try to give you some explination as what is going on when you do that.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Yeh- what they said. Is the torque converter attached to the flex-plate and could the filter have fallen out of the valve body(held in with an o-ring and a tang)???
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
can you physically see that it is in fact moving the linkages and the control points on the tranny when you shift?

have someone watch very carefully where the cables go to the tranny and move from drive to reverse and verify that everything is in fact moving. the arm light be loose and not turning the actually shifting shaft that goes into the tranny.
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
might have to pull the pan and check the filter jerry, it might have come loose in all the moving around i've done with it, and at the same time replace the pan with the other trans you have. the dent in the pan might have something to do with it as I caused that when it slipped out of my hands moving it. it was a good trans when bob of kickhill pulled it, and he's an honest man whos sales depend on his reputation.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
i got a REALLY busy day tomorrow.. but i may see if i can at LEAST swap the lines.. (im hoping thats it..) if not, ill pull the filter..
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
ok i went out and swapped the lines, no difference.

BUT i was reading my chiltons and it mentions vaccum stuff, but not where or what it is!! what lines to i need to check, what wires? to me it seems like the tranny is not getting any vaccum...
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The 125-C (Fiero transmission) has no vaccum modulator, nor any connection to vaccum anywhere.

It just had a TV cable (hooked up to the throttlebody) and a gear select and a TCC plug (the blue connector) outside of that, its only connection to the car is the flywheel and the axles. Outside of these items, the problem will be internal (fluid, filter, linkage...)
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
bummer
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The lines just go to the end tank on the radiator. That tank is hollow so reversing just switches which end the fluid enters and exits for cooling.

The TV cable controls line pressure and the FSM recommends adjusting it. I have never heard of one being so far out of adjustment that no pressure is produced. It does not cost anything to adjust it though.

As Back on Holiday said, drop the pan, replace the filter, switch to the pan without the dent. Cost is a new filter and gasket and an hour or so under the car. If you use a clean pan to catch the fluid you could even reuse it.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 07-21-2007).]

frankenfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for frankenfiero1Send a Private Message to frankenfiero1Direct Link to This Post
I'm with hudini, do the filter and the pan swap. If the dent in the pan is near the opening for the filter, the filter is basically clogged in the tranny's eyes. When you check the fluid level while in park and engine running, is the fluid foaming? If it is, it is cavitating the pump because of not enough flow. Since you replaced the tranny with an "Unknown" one, I would pull the pan and filter anyway just to see what is IN the pan and HOW your filter looks. It wouldn't be the first time you got bad parts from someone who thought they were good

------------------
carpe diem

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok well ill do that, i just called, filter $14.99 gasket $4.99 not bad.. and pan.. the other one is at school but the dent isnt too bad, i think i can carefully reshape it..
Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
The new gasket should be included with the filter (check inside the box). Not sure if that varies by application though.
serealport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for serealportSend a Private Message to serealportDirect Link to This Post
huh had a similar proplem witha 65 mustang somehow we got debris in it and it cloged up the valve body so we dropped it off and blew it out with compessed air and it helped then we tore it dorn and really cleand out the valve body but i have not put it back on yet

-- edit-- dont know if that is good or not cause i dont know much about transmissions

[This message has been edited by serealport (edited 07-21-2007).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

The new gasket should be included with the filter (check inside the box). Not sure if that varies by application though.

I would use the cheapy gasket (cork) to test out the trans and then re-drop the pan if everything starts to work good, and then use permatex hi-temp gold(orange) to seal it up good, make sure you clean the pan mating surface with something like acetone to clean the oil.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
I have a bad feeling about this...

Hi res..
http://img62.imageshack.us/...6624/p7230056zl2.jpg

( i used an extra oil pan i had to catch the fluid)

is there any reason i should even put it back on this sucks. massively. my luck i tell you...
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
eh?
dcfox

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcfoxSend a Private Message to dcfoxDirect Link to This Post
geez...is that all metal shavings?
did the thing just disintegrate?
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
i see metal flakes. that is no good. got into some gears or planets.
PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
yea im guessing the tranny is trash, which is so unbeleiveablly TEH SUK. but i shouldve expected it knowing my luck...

right now im looking for an auto with an o/d that is a DIRECT swap... but i dunno if it exists.. (i mean mounts and all..)
Tommys86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tommys86Send a Private Message to Tommys86Direct Link to This Post
The old tranny was fine Jerry. It was rebuilt about a year before I gave you the car. Swap the two out and you will be good.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
whew, well at least thats good news.. (bad news being i gotta pull the whole thing out again!) im gonna just take her to school and do it there ( I <3 AAA!) but im still off for another week.. then i can also swap the new brake lines on! YAY! sorta..
drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post
What the hell.....bump this one too
drumwzrd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2007 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drumwzrdSend a Private Message to drumwzrdDirect Link to This Post

drumwzrd

236 posts
Member since Aug 2006
HHMMM......Didn't bump the first time !!!
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2007 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Metal paste is fine as it is some what normal wear. Chunks or big particals are not good. Also I have seen them be one pint off and not work. Just some food for thoguht. Good luck getting it moving. Rick
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok well then i propose a question, if the tranny itself is bad, will just one or a few gear not work? shouldnt i feel SOME sort of grabbing? there wasnt enough metal in there for EVERY gear to be trashed... i think i might put the pan + new filter back on tonight.. maybe.. but what on earth could it be? when i move the shifter (when the pan was on) i feel nothing.. just moving of selector..
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
put it back together with the new filter and fluid. Rev the **** out of it in neutral and drop it into gear. If that dosent do it, swap the tranny.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Make sure when you shift everything is moving in trans and on cable. I have seen there be broken linkcage or the rod going in the trans. The simplest can be the easiest sometiems. We tend to think disaster first and seek the worst when infact more times than not, a $2.00 part is the problem. Make sure you let us know , good luck. Rick
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock