Just need an second (or more) opinion by kinboyatuwo
Started on: 02-16-2007 10:33 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: 3800superfast on 02-20-2007 02:51 AM
kinboyatuwo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Ok so first of all THANK YOU to all that have helped get this baby on the road.

Since I have got the car though I have found another problem. I used the search function and I think I have the problem nailed down BUT I cannot afford to buy stuff that is not needed at the moment, strapped for cash. So I just need to make sure its 90% right before going ahead.
Symptoms...

High Idle when starting, 1800-2100rpm
Bad mileage (is it Kilometrage here in Canada?) about 200 KM on a full tank
Thermostat has not moved from inbetween the 40-110 ( I think that is the numbers)
Idle dies down after about 15 mins af driving and eventually stabilizes at 1000-1100rpm
Mini backfires when down shifting.
There is not gas leak that I can smell and l let it sit overnight on a dry patch and no residue
Starts up super easy when cold but takes about 2 secs when its warm.
Throttle cable is not sticking at all
No codes showing but I will check the history when I have a min and update

Side note though, I noticed after about 5 days when filling the washer fluid the resivior for coolant was empty, filled up and it went down about 2 L but then retopped up and its been fin since so I think it was just REALLY empty.

References

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010924-2-010216.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/074812.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010924-2-010013.html

So the verdict I have is that its either the thermostat and or the cold start switch. Well or coolant temp sensor....grrrrrr

Both are not too expensive but I want to make sure.

Chris

PS is a Holley fuel injection normal?

------------------
"Friends don't let friends drive four doors."

87 Duke, 275,000km RIP
86 2.8 160,000km

[This message has been edited by kinboyatuwo (edited 02-16-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2007 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Thermostat is cheap and easy to replace. Holley TBI is stock on V6 Fieros, an expensive aftermarket part for 84-86 4 cylinders

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Chris didn`t have a lot of time to read through all the threads, have you thought over winaldl yet and making your own cable , you can get one in the mall for a couple bucks, the program is free, this will take the guess work out and you won`t be throwing money at it all the time, check your mat reading, then cts (if 2.8)?,mini-backfires can be ignition parts , sticky vavles and a host of other things.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
www.aldlcable.com
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
A bad thermostat will kill you mileage. Had that happen on several different cars. So if you think it is causing you to run low try that.

If you have, or can borrow or have a friend that has an ohm meter you can check out the CTS sensor that way.
Here is a table of the resistance Vs temp you can use to judge if you about right. It's also the same table for the air temp sensor on the air cleaner.

The temp gauge sender is different so don't use the table for that one.

And it sounds like you cold start switch is working fine so don't spend money on that.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 02-17-2007).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Get in touch with Pete. PBJ

He will know pretty quickly. Your fast idle at startup is adjustable. The thermostat is likely bent. That will allow the coolant to flow all the time. A killer for gas mileage. Don't get the cheap CTC thermostat. Get the good one. The cheap ones bend on you.

The poor gas mileage can be a bunch of things, not the least of which is a poor tuneup. Check your ignition timing.

The other issue is higher idle than you should have. That can be a vacuum leak which also affects gas mileage.

Good luck on it.

Arn
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post
Yes I will be doing most tof the things in the next few weeks. Pete is the one that safetied the car, he is a great guy and loves the cars as much as I do. It will get a tune up soon, cash strapped now so doing things as I can afford them. Its running so getting things adjusted is next. Firts major thing is going to be engine mounts.

See you at the next SOFA meet

Chris
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Check the impedance of the MAT (mass ambient air temp) sensor (the one in the neck to the TB.) If that is giving false readings it can confuse the heck out of your ECM and screw up the fuel mix and thus idle. They cost about $13 if it is bad.
kinboyatuwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kinboyatuwoSend a Private Message to kinboyatuwoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

Chris didn`t have a lot of time to read through all the threads, have you thought over winaldl yet and making your own cable , you can get one in the mall for a couple bucks, the program is free, this will take the guess work out and you won`t be throwing money at it all the time, check your mat reading, then cts (if 2.8)?,mini-backfires can be ignition parts , sticky vavles and a host of other things.
http://winaldl.joby.se/
www.aldlcable.com

Which cable do I need, it will be in the spring purchases for sure and a cheap laptop.

Chris
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
This one in the link--double check with Bob == email him, mine is the same but didn`t come with a cd or the other stuff listed, just a 10K omh resistor and a instruction sheet, maybe he has added the other things as we have figured out how to make them, look up strat110 in the mall or members list page, his are alot less, the reason I got this one was Bob made me a deal I couldn`t turn down on a older dell laptop along with the cable, he does sell them from time to time, may want to ask. http://www.aldlcable.com/sc...=aldlobd1&track=alhb

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock