Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  RideZiLightning 3800sc 86GT Build (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
RideZiLightning 3800sc 86GT Build by RideZiLightning
Started on: 11-13-2006 01:15 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: XzotikGT on 01-31-2007 11:29 PM
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
So I have been wanting to do this swap for a long time and i`ve finally got everything up and going. I'm gunna try to document all of it so if anybody needs help or info after don't hesitate to ask. Comments very welcome...
Prices:
'97 Riviera L67 86,000 mi - $700
'96 Camaro Flywheel - $10 ( Pick A Part )
Current 5spd 30,000 mi
ECU and Wiring harness - $35 ( Pick A Part )
XTD Clutch and PP - $200
Misc Parts - $100
Milling and balancing - Free ( I work at a machine shop )
Mounts - Free ( Have a lot of polyurethane )
Exhaust - Free ( Shop scrap )
Walbro 255 - Free ( backup from the Talon )

I've finished disassembling everything and cradle is ready to be dropped.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your off to a good start, we love pics, you may want to double check the harness before complete install (don`t ask) . Your running the 5 speed getrag ?
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Wicked good my friend--you forgot the traditional 6 pack sitting in the corner. Heres a build thread from the forum, in case you need any reference at 3-4 am.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/053213.html
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
The harness is complete, I compared it with two others just to make sure. I am using my getrag which I rebuilt right after I bought it so hopefully it lasts a while. Today was my first day of the swap and It might be ridiculous but I'm aiming to finish by this time next week. I feel like it should be possible, mechanical easy enough but wiring eh... My friend Brad (left of pic) is helping me out with that part since it'll be the most time consuming, so hopefully it'll go quick. I have pretty much everything I'll need. So you guys think that two 17 year olds can pull this off in a week?
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Whats the hurry, don`t you want to pretty up the engine bay, cradle, engine , ect ? Have you got the axles done yet, fabbing the mounts & exhaust are time takers. Mise well install the water pump now while the engines out, & re-gasket/re-seal everything that leaks, clean up/replace the pulleys, they like to be clean or the belt will ride off on you. Going with the low mount alt set-up. Are you going with ported stock manifolds or headers. This would be a good time to do a brake up grade too. If your going to mount the coil packs on the trunk-wall side, its probally best to do it over on the L-H side, it will give you more room to work on the engine. Do you have something in mind for CAI. Have you decided on a smaller sc pulley. Keeping the a/c-cruise ? Fuel pressure regulators aren`t a must, I didn`t fool with one. Adding a rear sway bar. If you use the low mount alt --you won`t have to notch the deck lid and add the strut back there, that thing gets in the way . Realistlically, I think it can be done in a week, but , this is one of those things you don`t want to rush--that way you won`t have the ** if I only did this or that** syndrome going on...Take your time....
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input superfast. The only problem is I am in a time crunch. My neighborhood wa going to have all my cars seized (my driveway was full of cars that didn't work) and that violated our contract,so I sold my Talon and stored my Formula and '35 Ford. This car was the closest to operable so I thought now would be the best time to do it, plus I have no other mode of transportation. I plan on the car being perfect at some point, but I just need it working right now. Just basics for now unfortunately
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
superfast,

No FP regulator? Could we have to much pressure? Just asking

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
ohio86se, Are you running one ? Back when I did mine, Loyde and everyone else was installing them on most every 3800sc conversion they where doing--I thought it was a must have item, but turned into a head-ache, so off it came, never any problems since. Plus all the vendors where pushing them too, as a must have/buy item.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

3800superfast

8568 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:
Thanks for the input superfast. The only problem is I am in a time crunch. My neighborhood wa going to have all my cars seized (my driveway was full of cars that didn't work) and that violated our contract,so I sold my Talon and stored my Formula and '35 Ford. This car was the closest to operable so I thought now would be the best time to do it, plus I have no other mode of transportation. I plan on the car being perfect at some point, but I just need it working right now. Just basics for now unfortunately

I got ya---looks like a long week then, at least take some extra time on the harness, the pulleys
looked a little rusted, and have been that route, the belt wants to ride 1/2 way on the crank pulley, a wire wheel, with a dremel or drill will clean them up pretty well. You seem to have most of the tools & parts right there , along with some help, so that will be in your favor..

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have the one that came on the 3800sc. It is just there to regulate the pressure so it don get to high or maybe to steady the pressure?. What happens if the pressure is too high?....I dont know

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

ohio86se, Are you running one ? Back when I did mine, Loyde and everyone else was installing them on most every 3800sc conversion they where doing--I thought it was a must have item, but turned into a head-ache, so off it came, never any problems since. Plus all the vendors where pushing them too, as a must have/buy item.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2006 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Ahhh, my bad---left out the key word ---**adjustable** fuel pressure regulator---..
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE*

Got the cradle out, hit a few snags because of garage space. The 2.8 is detached and 3.8 is ready to bolt up. Started c203 wiring... hopefully my '96 harness and ecu work with my '97 engine.

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Looking good guys, might want to pull that heat sheild up front out of your way (gives a little more elbow room), and the trunkside blower tubes off, you won`t need them anymore.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Ha, I wish it was guys, I'm on my own on this until this Saturday. It took way too long for me to get the cradle out. I didn't have my jackstands at the garage and the legs on my hoist were far under the cradle so I had to jack up and hoist simultaneously with a really long pole to work the thing out, not fun at all... I'm glad its on stands now so I can just hoist the cradle back into place.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
In Tacoma? Where?

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/167457/1

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I'm actually in University Place, you know, between lakewood and tac. I got my motor this weekend from Roy Y, which I'm sure you are familiar with.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2006 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
I am very familiar with them. I live about 10 minutes from there.
check yo pm's.
------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06

[This message has been edited by XzotikGT (edited 11-14-2006).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE*

Alright, well I only got to work for 2 hours today. Engine is off cradle, and I stripped the insulation in the engine bay and cleaned up a bit. My flywheel, clutch and pp are on my motor now. My harness is about 50% done. I'm almost 13 hours into this. I'm shooting for a running motor by Saturday.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Your moving along at an incrediable clip there, keep up the good work........
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
see if you guys can beat my 4 week long swap. I did an auto this summer, and I was only 19. Ill pm you my phone number, as I would be more than glad to field any questions, expecially when it comes to wiring.
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Didn't get to work today. Our CNC's hydraulics failed today and I was stuck at the shop.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 04:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Apparently there was a mix up with my clutch order and it won't arrive until Monday so there goes my done in a week plan. I worked a little on my harness at home tonight but besides that It was a nothing day. I'm gunna finish my harness, the mounts and start glassing the few places needed on the car while I wait for the clutch. Hopefully it will be running and ready for paint sometime next week. Oh and by the way, I noticed alot of people use expensive clutches like Spec and CF, or even WCF clutches in their cars. I drove my rough 400hp AWD Talon like a mad man on its XTD Stage III rated at 298lb tq 350hp for a little over 2,000 miles and it held amazing. The thing wasnt to grippy, easy to slip on slow starts, no rattle or anything. I spent $312 shipped for it and it came with clutch,pp, and 10lbs flywheel. Heck of a deal and seriously the best clutch I've ever used. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
I think we only use those clutches because that is all that is available. And with the motor you are putting in there, I have heard that some peole slip all the way to a stage 3 clutch.

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I gotcha, thats what is available so you use it. I went on ebay and bought my package for the fiero. $198 shipped for 6 puck stage 3
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
I worked on my harness and made my brackets today. The harness is about done, i have a few wires left on my c500. I think i'm gunna run the motor minus trans this weekend to see if everythings hooked up right. My camera is with my Dad, so i'll have pics tmrw.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
O and if anyone is wondering why I said my clutch and pressure plate were on and then I said its delayed is because I was gunna use my old cutch until it wore out, but I'd just have to drop the cradle later, better to just use the new on now.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Alright, well im in Idaho right now for Thanksgiving, but I brought my harness to work on and it is now completed. My friend Nick at our machine shop is making me a fogger plate to place between my sc and intake for my water injection system I made. I am running a 3.0 pulley on stock exhaust, and just cold air intake (only support mod) so hopefully it works well. I'll be back Saturday morning and will mount everything up. Hope I did my harness right
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
You forgot the pic of you sitting in the middle of the room with a pile of wires around you and the service manuals setting next to you..lol..Your doing great!!!
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
what happened?

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by XzotikGT:

what happened?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..............POOF!

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I vote the 3.0 pulley turned his pistons into confetti.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2006 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I vote the 3.0 pulley turned his pistons into confetti.

ouch no kidding!

hopefully he just forgot to post back.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I've been really busy with school and havent had time to do much on anything. It's all in and running, I have ALOT of pics to post. I'll try and get them all organized and some videos up soon too. And, no, my pistons didn't go to confetti. I had a little accident, I didn't bolt down my the fuels rails I made and they got yanked and twisted so I need to make some others. For the two days I drove it though it ran wonderfully minus the stalls since I forgot to ground my trans wires. I was getting about 3-7 counts of knock under WOT, so it needs some tuning but not much.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Great---You did it!!! Is it what you thought it would be ? Mine was faster than I thought at first, then took a little while to get things adjusted to my driving habits, kept breaking axles ..lol... I did`nt really care for the SC sound either, and the headers/exhaust system wasn`t what I planned on, so it takes a little time to get things the way you want them.. Good Job ....!!!
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
It's quite the ride I'd have to say. Unfortunately i'm used to how quick my talon was (upper 10s) so it isn't that crazy, but the fiero handles so much better, even with the talons awd, that cruisin around at 90+ through the mountains is incredibly enjoyable
chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2006 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post
3-7 kr on a 3.0 pully is alot of kr. take that pully off untill you get supportings mods i bet you would run faster with a 3.4 pully and timeing. water/meth injection has not realy proven its self in the gp world. what are your o2's and timeing at? i run a 2.9 pully on my gtp and it took 1.9 rockers, n* tb, slp headers, intake and intercooler. you need atlest a cam or intercooler to run that small of a pully. its your motor
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
When can We come and take a look?

------------------
1987 GT 3.4 DOHC turboed
Updated page 11/3/06

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The only reason the pistons are still there is because the motor is quite stout, it can take some abuse before it will just poof.

you WILL NOT be able to tune out the knock, unless you take out half the timing, and tune to 1000 o2's. I bet they are close to 820-850 right now.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 12-13-2006).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I now have zero knock and 13 degrees at 5500. I leaned out the alc ratio and made my rails a bit wider.

Not funny man

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 01-12-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock