Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Someone with an Ed Parks 4.9, 4T60E, non-88, measure for me please?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Someone with an Ed Parks 4.9, 4T60E, non-88, measure for me please? by Wipe0ut
Started on: 12-06-2006 06:37 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Wipe0ut on 12-08-2006 06:33 PM
Wipe0ut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
To know if an Ed Parks axle will work in my setup, I need a horizontal measurement between the passenger side of the transmission pan (not the flange, the flat part) and the inner part of the cradle rail. Here's a picture if it's confusing:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Build your own axles-
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/057038.html

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Year doesn't matter. If you're using a 4.9 / 4T60E the axles will be same any year.

Use axles from a 93 Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan, and remover the OUTER ends (just a snap ring amd they come right off ). Reinstall axle ends from MANUAL transmission Fiero axles. They snap on just like it was meant to be.

Buy a boot clamp kit from Pep Boys, and you're set. You will have 2 axles perfect for your application.

This is the exact setup Ed uses, and includes in his kits.

I made my own for my swap by this method....about 700 miles now, problems.

[This message has been edited by Frizlefrak (edited 12-06-2006).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Jeff:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078379.html
I tried that already. The axles I have found at Advance and Autozone have an incompatible (smaller) outer hub assembly than the Trans Sport halfshaft.

Frizle:
From an e-mail with Ed Parks

Since there has been a delay, we have delivered the set up we could
easily measure and we do not have another engine mounted to an early
cradle, so it may be a while before we have a chance to measure one. We
have one on an 88 cradle, but those cradles aren't the same.

The reason I'm asking for a pre-88 is so the measurement will be comparable to my measurement.
Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Bump.. someone with an Ed Parks' 4.9 has gotta seen this by now.. please!
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Wipe out,
I feel your frustration because I went through the same thing. But I am telling you that the set up that I have in my thread above is the exact set up that Ed Parks uses. I even tried having a custom axle made by a local driveline shop and it was wrong before I came to the knoledge above in my thread.
****** you must use an OEM Fiero outer cv joint from a Manual Fiero tranny*****
this is indeed where I also ran into a problem----some aftermarket companies have begun using the smaller internals and shaft diameter to replace the manual Fiero CV joints.
Here in this thread you will see what I went through finding out that aftermarket axle builders were using smaller shafts-
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050410-2-056573.html

Use the minivan axle and and OEM manual Fiero cv joint and it will indeed work. Read the obove thread carefully from beginning to end and watch as I bought and tried axle after axle------the splined hole in the fiero cv you need will have a measurement of 1.035in if I remember correctly. If yours measures .083in it is either an auto fiero cv or an aftermarket manual neither of which will work. Take your calipers to the auto parts store if you have to-----might be easier to ask in the mall here for a manual fiero cv joint with 1.035in inner diameter. I'm sure someone has one they can ship you.

I know you are frustrated because I was pulling my hair out----
I hope this information helps you.

Jeff

------------------

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

To know if an Ed Parks axle will work in my setup, I need a horizontal measurement between the passenger side of the transmission pan (not the flange, the flat part) and the inner part of the cradle rail. Here's a picture if it's confusing:

Just to please your curiosity I am going out to measure now-----brb
okay the measurement you asked for above is 7 7/16th inches. from my transmission pan to the inside of the cradle on the passenger side of the car-----going back to bed now-----got to work 12hrs tonight.

------------------

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2006 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Yes the problem I ran into was that I could NOT find an OEM Fiero outer hub assembly. If I could find one of those I could make the axle myself and it would be done. Everything at Advance and Autozone uses the smaller 0.92" diameter halfshaft. I will post in the mall for an OEM Fiero outer hub assembly; I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the measurement - that's exactly what mine is.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock