Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Just Completed My Turbo 3.4 L DOHC 4T80E with Paddle Shifters and Power Steering (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Just Completed My Turbo 3.4 L DOHC 4T80E with Paddle Shifters and Power Steering by D2Turbo3.4DOHC
Started on: 09-25-2006 12:02 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: pavo_roddy on 12-14-2006 12:38 AM
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Just completed my Turbo 3.4 L DOHC 4T80E with Paddle Shifters and Power Steering! Photos are here: http://www.fieroswest.org/LatestProjectsatWestCoastFiero.html

Build thread to follow, later.

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2Turbo3.4DOHC (edited 09-25-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
I look forward to reading your build thread!

Nolan
86coupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86coupeSend a Private Message to 86coupeDirect Link to This Post
Car looks awsome, I look forward to reading the build thread.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Now that's making me drool!

What are you using for a P.S. pump?

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC installation in process.

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Not wanting to start the usual discussion on this topic, just curious, but is that emmissions legal in CA (I see that's where your at is why I ask).

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it came together great, Chris West and crew did a great job at West Coast Fiero

------------------
Former West Coast Fiero Employee

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Paddle shifter - very cool - I wish I had thought of that!

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Have you been able to get it on a dyno yet?

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2006 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
I wann aknow more about that paddle shifting setup.
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Have not yet had a chance to dyno it, but maybe soon after some small things are refined.

As to the paddle shifter, it is a kick: the ingredients are a 4T80, 4T60E, or 4T65E transmission, a PCS controller ( http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/ ), and a Twist machines paddle shifter ( http://www.twistmachine.com/ ), and finally a new steering wheel (probably). The sites have all the details.

Regards,

David

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2006 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
This makes me want to toss the Isuzu idea and go with paddle shifters. The only problem is how much the dang transmission weighs!
PFF
System Bot
Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyDirect Link to This Post
What about the new 6sp auto GM has to for the G6 and the Aura. Isn't the 3.6 caddy a 60 degree v6? Now that would be awesome with proper paddle shifters instead of the silly TAPShift layout.
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Folks:

Yep! The tranny is heavy, but bullet proof.

The Power Steering pump is a new 1993 lumina pump mounted in thr stock location.

Regards,

David
MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
There's a few Cadillac engines. I'm talking about the 4.6l 32-valve quad cam V8, also known as a Northstar. If the transmission your talking about happens to have a similar bellhousing pattern, then maybe I could conjure up a paddle shift 6-speed. Gas mileage and high top speed, the best of both worlds! Thanks for the info.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by D2Turbo3.4DOHC:

The Power Steering pump is a new 1993 lumina pump mounted in thr stock location.

Thanks, David
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
By the way, while you are there, please take alook at the rest of our site, which is under construction.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
what autos where or are six speed. That paddle shifting idea has me bought but I dont want to paddle through only three or four gears.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I saw the car at west fest, I think it is the same color blue as mine. But I don't know about useing gas injection as an intercooler. Care to expand on that?
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

I saw the car at west fest, I think it is the same color blue as mine. But I don't know about useing gas injection as an intercooler. Care to expand on that?

misting gas not only has an exponentially greater heat transfer co-efficient than a simple intercooler, but it also functions as a way to perform fuel management when properly equiped with the correct electronics - besides, do you care to explain to me where in god's name you would mount an intercooler on a fiero THAT ACTUALLY WORKED?

------------------

New and Pre-Owned Auto Sales Consultant
Power Ford Valencia

87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
Great project! A very nice machine indeed. I have one of those in the works myself. BTW yours is the TDC. GM changed the name to DOHC with the second generation so they wouldn't have to qualify which engine they were referring to when they were having discussions. So TDC <= '95 & DOHC >= '96.

What is your compressor putting out now and what do you plan to run when done. After you get it all tuned up and Dynoed, let us know how you did.

Have fun with that one.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Same concept as alcohol injection. Just takes advantage of the latent heat of vaporization of gasoline, which isn't quite as good as alcohol but it does make a difference.
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2006 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:
where in god's name you would mount an intercooler on a fiero THAT ACTUALLY WORKED?

Run the exhaust out the back and put the intercooler in front of the cradle. It has been done and does work.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
I can't find anyone who has ever used gas injection before. Alcohol also raises the octane rating just adding more gas does not. In my opinion it seems very dangerous adding gas that early in the system. I think that setup will burn the car to the ground. Just my opinion. If it works you may be the first person to figure it out since the invention of auxiliary injection.
XzotikGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XzotikGTClick Here to visit XzotikGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to XzotikGTDirect Link to This Post
Chris West and his crew use that alot. I can think of three 3.4 dohc turbo cars that came from there with additional injectors for fuel and intercooling in their intake stream.
87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post
Back in the day.... They had pressurized carburation and vacuum carb to turbo systems. With the pressurized systems the carbs were pumped up to 10 or 15 lbs boost. With the vacuum systems, the fuel/air charge was run through the compressor and then pressurized. This should put into perspective. Injecting fuel at that point is no different then having a TBI setup but of course it must be metered to optimize the power output of the engine.

[This message has been edited by 87GTZ34 (edited 09-29-2006).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chicken McNizzle:

misting gas not only has an exponentially greater heat transfer co-efficient than a simple intercooler, but it also functions as a way to perform fuel management when properly equiped with the correct electronics - besides, do you care to explain to me where in god's name you would mount an intercooler on a fiero THAT ACTUALLY WORKED?

Water to air intercoolers with the radiator installed in the front work just fine on L67 swaps.
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
definatly need a build thread for this car.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13* retard exhaust cam, FFP UDP, much more.
13.93@101mph as it is on the street

355/380hp sbc, 4 bolt main
spec stage 3, and many other extras.
87 GT 5-speed Getrag, power everything.

Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post

I can't find anyone who has ever used gas injection before. Alcohol also raises the octane rating just adding more gas does not. In my opinion it seems very dangerous adding gas that early in the system. I think that setup will burn the car to the ground. Just my opinion. If it works you may be the first person to figure it out since the invention of auxiliary injection.

the misting takes place POST turbo

------------------

New and Pre-Owned Auto Sales Consultant
Power Ford Valencia

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
ah, nevermind

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 09-29-2006).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Chris West and crew have been running this setup in various cars for at least a decade without ever blowing it up.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 10-10-2006).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
SHEESH!!! Does it really take a SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR unit to electronicly flick two switches on & off? (which is what I understand it takes on the 4T80E)
And... the paddle shifter turns with the wheel. So if you're turning the wheel hard you may shift the wrong direction or miss the paddle alltogether...
I still would like to make a paddle shifter (mounted to the collumn) & use the "E" trans in my V8 Formula when I put it together this winter. But who can afford that?
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

SHEESH!!! Does it really take a SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLAR unit to electronicly flick two switches on & off? (which is what I understand it takes on the 4T80E)

Dude, its a complete transmission management unit. This is a 4T80E with a 3.4 DOHC. They don't belong together. The N* computer that runs the 80E wont run the 3.4 DOHC without extensive modifications that might not even be possible.
The transmission control is fully programmable for automatic mode and manual mode with two different custom tuning setups. Line pressure, shift RPM, shift speed, torque converter lockup speed, etc etc can all be manipulated in the software while the car is running. It doesn't just take the place of a shifter. Automatic mode is still fully functional (and tuned properly to the 3.4 DOHC turbo) until the manual mode switch in the car is activated.

And... the paddle shifter turns with the wheel. So if you're turning the wheel hard you may shift the wrong direction or miss the paddle alltogether...

Yeah, I didn't like that much either. It isn't as bad as it sounds once you get used to it, but the paddles really should be column mounted.

I still would like to make a paddle shifter (mounted to the collumn) & use the "E" trans in my V8 Formula when I put it together this winter. But who can afford that?

You'll probably see more transmission controllers coming to the market in the next year or two. Maybe you'll be able to afford one. PCS charges a premium right now because they're really the only choice at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 09-30-2006).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Dude, its a complete transmission management unit. This is a 4T80E with a 3.4 DOHC. They don't belong together. The N* computer that runs the 80E wont run the 3.4 DOHC without extensive modifications that might not even be possible.
The transmission control is fully programmable for automatic mode and manual mode with two different custom tuning setups. Line pressure, shift RPM, shift speed, torque converter lockup speed, etc etc can all be manipulated in the software while the car is running. It doesn't just take the place of a shifter. Automatic mode is still fully functional (and tuned properly to the 3.4 DOHC turbo) until the manual mode switch in the car is activated.

Oh OK. I thought it was just for the trans (it *is* called a "transmission controller"). I don't need anything like that. I just need a "controller" that tells the tranny to shift up & down when I hit the paddles. I don't even want it to shift automaticly. I'll also be running a carb & HEI so I won't be needing any engine control shtuff either.
Sheesh if I had tens of thousands to put into one car I'd just get a Ferrari & be done with it... ;^ p
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

It's been so long since I've had sex, I can't remember who gets tied up.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
ryan.hess developed a controller to paddle shift a 4l60e, 4l65e.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2006 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

ryan.hess developed a controller to paddle shift a 4l60e, 4l65e.

Yeah, I think he may even have an improved version coming out. That would be what "Tha Driver" would want to use.
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Steven:

Thanks for the excellent explanation of the paddle shifter/controller setup on my car (Steven did a lot of great work on various parts of the car). Also, thanks for the info on the 7th and 8th injectors.

The whole system works quite nicely and it is unique, I think.

The boost is set to 10 lbs and that is probably as high as I will go.

Why would you want to shift gears in a turn at 6,500 RPM? Paddles work fine on the wheel, I think.

Just posted a pick of the turbo, extra injectors, etc at: www.fieroswest.org Click on: New Projects

If I could get PIP to work, I would provide more photos; any suggestions (I get a runtime error; type 13 mismatch).

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2Turbo3.4DOHC (edited 10-06-2006).]

stuffy236

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuffy236Send a Private Message to stuffy236Direct Link to This Post
so I have to ask, why a 80e? Why not a 4t65e-hd? It would be able to handle the power you are putting out with minimal upgrades, if any with the weight of a fiero, weighs less, and are found everywhere. I can understand if you are breaking trannys with a fully upgraded 65e-hd (which takes a LOT of power, ie 800whp+) and would need a 80e, but I just dont see that happening.
D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Why a 4T80E?

I guess it is because nobody has done this one and maybe there is a small block Chevy in the wings?

Also, we had it; why not use it?

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by D2Turbo3.4DOHC (edited 10-07-2006).]

D2Turbo3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2006 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2Turbo3.4DOHCClick Here to visit D2Turbo3.4DOHC's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2Turbo3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Unabashed Bump
onewicked svt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2006 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onewicked svtSend a Private Message to onewicked svtDirect Link to This Post
bump for fine work!

i want to do the sameeee thing!

lucky for me the paddle shift company is about 30minutes away!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock