spyder cracks in bumper by engine man
Started on: 05-27-2006 11:16 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Firefox on 08-16-2006 06:35 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
my rear bumper is full of spyder cracks can somthing be done or need new bumper it needs to be striped so looking for a way to fix the bumper
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
They need to be sanded out, not sure you would want to use a stripper on that material.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
this is not going to be much fun to sand all those spyder cracks out
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2006 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
What, you have spiders smoking crack in your bumper?
Oh wait...

Yeah you have to sand it down or find a different one.
If you have money get one ready for paint or pay someone to sand it for you.
It is the problem with flexable bumpers.
Brian Lamberts

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2006 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brian LambertsSend a Private Message to Brian LambertsDirect Link to This Post
It can be media blasted, and then primed with epoxy primer and then painted. I sanded them all out with an air sander and then an electric random orbital (one of them vibrator things) It was about 3 hours worth of work to get them sanded out, and then about a day to feather them. Couple of good coats of primer fixed them up.

It's a car I'm fixing for resale, btw. Which says something about how much care I'm giving it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Has to be sanded to the bare urathane. I dont like using a sander because its very easy to get the surface uneven. Lisa hand sanded hers completely bare in about 3 or 4 hours. All the bumpers I get new from dealers are primed with latex waterbase primer (its flat black). Its very flexible and only minimal scuff sanding before you paint.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm no sanding expert, but I had a bumper that was in horrible condition and I sanded it down to the base material and made it perfectly smooth with a DA sander. If you take your time and are careful you won't make it uneven.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-29-2006).]

Carswell...Wellscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carswell...WellscarSend a Private Message to Carswell...WellscarDirect Link to This Post
i liked the red better ..gave it that rough and used look...but kidding aside ..nice blue and nice job on it

matt
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Bulldog makes a stripper for urethane bumpers. Used it on my 78 Camaro rear bumper, with no problems. Don't think I would want to spray it and walk away though. Spray, wrinkle, scrape, wash, and repeat. Took about three applications.

Kevin
AKM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2006 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AKMClick Here to visit AKM's HomePageSend a Private Message to AKMDirect Link to This Post
Hey jscott, is that Corvette Electron Blue? Looks good. Just curious. I thought about going that way, but I ended up choosing Viper Blue. That's just a test hood from a parts car (I'm 100% noob at painting), I'm just now starting to strip the paint off the "real" car. (FWIW my test hood looks good in the picture, but it's full of dirt, floaties, and grit, because I was spraying outside).

What did you use to fill the bumper rail (3M? Fusor? SEM?) - and what side marker lights are you going to use? If you'll give away your secrets...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
AKM - Close - it's Mazda Blue. Corvette blue was my first choice, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I'm not sure what was used as fill, I didn't do the body work myself. I am using the corvette C5 markers. I have pics in my build thread...it's not a secret anymore

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044137-12.html
PFF
System Bot
AKM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AKMClick Here to visit AKM's HomePageSend a Private Message to AKMDirect Link to This Post
Hubba hubba. Nice car.

Thanks for the pics. I missed that thread (don't get around here too often).
ramdge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ramdgeClick Here to visit ramdge's HomePageSend a Private Message to ramdgeDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering what grit of sandpaper is recommented to
completely remove the spider cracks in the bumper. I have
a spaire one that I would like to experiment on.

------------------
Donnie 86 Fiero GT
http://www.ramdge.com

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2006 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
I start with 180 grit until I start to see the bare urethane. Once the paint is gone and you have a somewhat smooth surface with the 180, use a good grade of primer, apply enough to be able to sand it down, then use 320/400 until you have a nice smooth surface. Don't use anything finer as the paint will not hold onto the primer surface. You don't need any special flexible primers for the covers as the paint is where the flexible qualities need to be, and if you spray a good base/clear urethane, the paint is more than flexible enough without a flex agent. If you are using enamel ( not recommended ), then the flex is needed.

Also, I'm not a fan of chemical strippers at all on our cars. I've had some bad results even with strippers that are designed for urethane covers and will never recommend stripping that way.

Mark

------------------

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited 08-16-2006).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock