Started on: 03-30-2006 11:38 PM
Replies: 116
Last post by: Archie on 09-15-2006 12:22 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
This thread will document the building of the 1st. 2.8 V-6 6 speed Fiero.

This assembly will also include one of the big bucks Held front suspension & brakes & rear "A" arms with bump steer & brakes.

Here is where we start taking it apart, this car was purchased from Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory.

Here's some of the suspension parts we're going to be installing.

Continued..........

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Here we've pulled the engine/trans/cradle out..........

Inspecting the engine compartment........

Battery tray a bit rusty......

& a funky Dog Bone ????? This car was a V-6 but dog bone is longer than a V-6 bone & shorter than a 4 cyl bone????

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We go to replace the battery tray & take out some insullation to get to it & find a bunch more rust underneath. It looks like at one time the battery had a leak as all the damage is right under the old battery tray.

We elect to cutout the rusty sections & pound out some new sheetmetal to weld in.........

While this is going on, Rob & the new guy (Mark) are taking apart the front suspension.....

And Kris works on forming sheetmetal........

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
The battery tray is lookin' good

While the front suspension is going together......... More later.

Archie

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of vendors out there that sell a front mount battery box. If you want, I can get you their numbers..........

John Stricker

3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this thread with pics---this should be interesting....
fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
more more more, you gotta let us know what kind of rpms you get in each gear, id especially like to know what rpm is at 70-80 mph, i always feel like i could use another gear when im up that high.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Great thread so far Archie. Thanks!
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyDirect Link to This Post
lou_dias, let me know how you like that front suspension.. I was thinking about buying it.
markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
that dog bone is a rear leaf spring hanger from a 60's dodge, lol interesting use.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

lou_dias, let me know how you like that front suspension.. I was thinking about buying it.

I got bearings for 5x4.75" wheels with it as well as the 12" brake kits. On the rear, I am only doing the bumpsteer correction, 12" brakes and 5x4.75" bearings...

All this will be on '99 Chrome covered Camaro 5 spoke wheels with Falken 512 255/50ZR16 tires, so the handling improvements will be tough to isolate...

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

so the handling improvements will be tough to isolate...

But fun to experience!

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL CHAMPS!!!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
As you may have noticed, we are working on several different items on this car all at once.

We are cleaning, repairing & painting the engine compartment.

We are doing a 6 speed conversion to a 2.8 V-6 car.

& we are Installing a Held suspension & brakes.

So, this thread is going to be jumping around from subject to subject but I'll try to keep it in order.

The next thing we did was disassemble the original engine/transmission from the cradle.

On just about very car we disassemble we find a surprise. First it was a funky dogbone, then a rusted battery tray area not it's the oil we drained out of the transmission. Usually there is only a little over 2 quarts & it's supposed to be oil. This is about 5 quarts of automatic transmission fluid. Can't see it in the photo but it's transmission Red.

After we disassemble the engine/trans/cradle, we then powerwashed the engine & cradle.

Yank off the old tranny & clutch & attach the new transmission for fitting back to the cradle.......

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Zoooom in a little....... What's that? ..... Looks like someone installed a junkyard engine, I'll bet that's where the funky dogbone came from too.........

In the mean time, We gather the suspension parts & start putting them together......

Put the front crossmember in the car..........

"Are you sure it's supposed to go together like that?"....

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Meanwhile the engine compartment gets finished up......

And the trial fitting of the engine/trans to the cradle continues.....

More to come.

Archie

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

A very, very nice 6-speed thread.
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I'll be watching this one. Is there a 6-speed V8 thread somewhere else?

Thanks for the info!

fieroman22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman22Send a Private Message to fieroman22Direct Link to This Post
hey are you guys gonna do a 1/4 mile time just to see if you gain anything?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroman22:

hey are you guys gonna do a 1/4 mile time just to see if you gain anything?

lol, I doubt there'd be a difference...slower if anything as this tranny looks bigger and heavier. It's all about the fuel economy of a 6th gear as well as being able to take a bit more abuse without breaking it. That's why I'm doing it. I'm realistic.

But damn Archie's making it look pretty too!

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-02-2006).]

EMX5636

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Direct Link to This Post
I might have missed it or maybe is was assumed... but which 6 spd is this? the nsx trans? g6? thanks.

Justin

------------------
'88 Fiero Formula 4-spd- Edit again- bigger turbo install done, Haltech on hold, GM ECM via Darth..... here comes 300HP 2.8L

Build page: [URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043670.html[/URL]

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Daily driver soon to be in the 12's.
Bring on the snow!!!!

mcaanda

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Archie -

Last night after the Sequoia run the topic of the GTP G6 Transmissions came up, and I was wondering if you can please expand on what is the deal with the OEM clutch / flywheel for the GTP? I heard that it's some "dual mass - special flywheel" setup or something along those lines.

Can you please elaborate on what exactly that means, and how do you go about using it / not using it?

Thanx!

--Allen

PFF
System Bot
nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
This has got to be an april fools joke, I thought Archie never installs 2.8's.

Anyways, if not, looks like a great trans for the fiero. 6spds would be very nice.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
About the clutch and flywheel..
I'd imagine that you'd be able to use whatever is stock on the G6...so no need to worry as the G6 is a much heavier car than the Fiero and the stock units should last a while...

but if the combination was heavier than the stock Fiero unit, that would be a bummer and maybe he will offer a lightened flywheel in the future...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 04-03-2006).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
yes i am interested in this one but i dont understand why the heck would u stick with a stock 2.8?? of all the other engine arch can get 2.8 pls...or ur just using this engine to get all the bugs worked out before goning any futher???right??
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
does the six speed just bolt right up to the Fiero motor, or is there some mods you need to do, I thought I read in another thread that the motor it was bolted to had a strange flywheel?

Matt

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Archie -

Last night after the Sequoia run the topic of the GTP G6 Transmissions came up, and I was wondering if you can please expand on what is the deal with the OEM clutch / flywheel for the GTP? I heard that it's some "dual mass - special flywheel" setup or something along those lines.

Can you please elaborate on what exactly that means, and how do you go about using it / not using it?

Thanx!

--Allen

I'm not ignoring your question. I just need to find the pictures that go with this explaination.

The 3.9 G6 engine uses a Dual Mass Flywheel & clutch assembly. The Dual Mass F/W is very heavy & cannot be rebuilt or modified. The Dual Mass F/W is a bit thicker than a stock 2.8 F/W & it places the clutch deeper into the bellhousing than a stock 2.8 would. The spline on the input shaft on the 6 speed trans is also deeper into the bellhousing than a stock Fiero tranny & has a different spline count. Because none of the engines normally used in the Fiero (either swapped engines or stock engines) are engineered to use a Dual Mass F/W there is no need to figure out a way to use a Dual Mass F/W on one of these conversions. We have designed & use a Clutch & a Clutch friction plate that will bolt to the stock (or aftermarket) F/W & will sit into the 6 speed bellhousing at the correct depth to use it's input spline & to use the Hyd. T.O.B. that comes with the G6 transmission.

I hope that answers your questions.

Archie

------------------

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

yes i am interested in this one but i dont understand why the heck would u stick with a stock 2.8??

I believe he's doing it mainly as an engineering exercise so he can have 6-speed swaps available for anyone, regardless of what engine they have. He's also done a 4.9, and a few others as well.

I doubt Archie is getting in the 2.8 V6 business.

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Looking good, Archie.

I'm bookmarking this thread.

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
Engineering exercise or not, why not a more practical six speed conversion?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICouldaBeenAV8:

Engineering exercise or not, why not a more practical six speed conversion?

My goal is to get it home and then to a potent (goal is 180+rwhp) overbored roller cam'd rebuilt 3.4 swap with the stock bored, throated, ported and shortened Fiero intake...just to show that it can be done.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
duh

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 04-03-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
I think this is the practical 6 speed.

I think he's refering to the 2.8.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastcaddy:

I think he's refering to the 2.8.

OK, now that I look again, I see.

Thanks

Archie

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
Glad I could help
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Archie;
Do you plan to sell a kit (FW, mounts, etc.) to install this trany in V6s, SBCs? That would be nice.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Archie;
Do you plan to sell a kit (FW, mounts, etc.) to install this trany in V6s, SBCs? That would be nice.

uh, circa page 34 of the "What's Up At Archie's" thread in the general section...

mcaanda

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
I'm not ignoring your question. I just need to find the pictures that go with this explaination.

The 3.9 G6 engine uses a Dual Mass Flywheel & clutch assembly. The Dual Mass F/W is very heavy & cannot be rebuilt or modified. The Dual Mass F/W is a bit thicker than a stock 2.8 F/W & it places the clutch deeper into the bellhousing than a stock 2.8 would. The spline on the input shaft on the 6 speed trans is also deeper into the bellhousing than a stock Fiero tranny & has a different spline count. Because none of the engines normally used in the Fiero (either swapped engines or stock engines) are engineered to use a Dual Mass F/W there is no need to figure out a way to use a Dual Mass F/W on one of these conversions. We have designed & use a Clutch & a Clutch friction plate that will bolt to the stock (or aftermarket) F/W & will sit into the 6 speed bellhousing at the correct depth to use it's input spline & to use the Hyd. T.O.B. that comes with the G6 transmission.

I hope that answers your questions.

Archie

Yea, good deal - I would love to see the pics that would show what this new critter is. Good to know that there's aftermarket options available.

Thanx!

------------------

** Rice; it''s what's COOKIN **
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
The transmision mounts are built & the front motor mount is bolted in.......

Time for the 1st trial fit............

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Hanging the front suspension.......

& the Rotors..........

& the calipers..........

Continued...........

Archie

------------------

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

uh, circa page 34 of the "What's Up At Archie's" thread in the general section...

I can't keep up with these 40+ pages threads... $4600+ with tranny doesn't seem bad. I'll start saving for when I blew mine

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock