Started on: 04-08-2006 08:55 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-11-2006 02:58 AM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
After seeing the recent thread on this subject using the Pontiac HUD, I wanted to do an install. BUT, it looked like it was gona be more wiring I really didn't feel like figuring out, so I started looking to see what was on eBay. I found this universal kit and the clincher was IT WAS RED

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO- HEAD-UP-WINDOW-RPM-SPEED-DISPLAY-HUD-UNIVERSAL_W0QQitemZ8054746118QQcategoryZ33721QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had my HUD the Day After I ordered it ! Here's what I got:

It looked like a pretty nice set up. The silver cylinder on the left is a shift warning light. next to it is the red adhesive pad for the display unit directly above. They even give you a squeegee and film for the windshield as shown in the lower right corner. The display unti has a nice small footprint which I liked too:

However, when I looked at the silver control box (upper right), I saw the SWOOSH label which reminded me of Whammo brand. Although the control box looked pretty sweet, i figured I better go do an install so i could see that it didn't work and could send this SWOOSH stuff back.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-08-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
My first course of action was to pull up the thread with Jon's description of the speedo buffer board:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071313.html#lastpost

About half-way down the page, you'll see a pic of the board and a legend identifying each of the pins. Using this info, and the instructions, I made all the connections:

Naturally, everything worked except the speedo display . I was thinking of just using the Tach display, but decided to push on.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
So I went t my speedo buffer board, realizing that Jon's diagram was for an 88 and my ca is an 85. My buffer board looks like this:

(The black rubber on the upper right is just for mounting.) I figured I could try "hit-and-miss" but I really didn't want to connect the speedo feed to the HUD to a power or a ground. Well I got out my meter and got "ground" indications from 5 of the seven pins. The only two that weren't ground were the bottom pin (corresponding to the BROWN wire) and the 3rd from the bottom (corresponding to the YELLOW wire. I figured I'd start with the brown; conneced it and went for a drive, hoping to get a HUD readout that was the same as my speedometer reading.

No such friggin luck ! I got a nnice RED HUD display, but it was less than my speedo. How much ? - about half. Lights ON !! Referring back to Jon's pic, I see that there are (2) signals corresponding to 2000 pulses per mile and 4000 pulses per mile. Soooooooooooo, hurry back to the garage and hook up the YELLOW wire instead of the brown.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Just Like magic I got the Red Display again BUT this time the display matched the speedometer

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
I'm VERY Happy with SWOOSH .... I guess I should have learned not to be judgemental by now !

Anyway, I'm done but there are things this unit offers that some of you guys might be interested in. Rather than type this stuff, I'll just post a pic of the instruction sheet:

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2006 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
OOOps ...I mean THIS one

It's pretty cool, especially since you can set it to display either Speedo OR Tach, set alarms, log Top Speed, AND get the shift light. So far, I'm VERY satisfied and thought I'd pass the good news along

ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
Hm-m-m-m. What would be involved in adapting this to reporting oil press, temp, etc.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
got a daytime pic of your cluster?
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2006 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure if the HUD display would report anything you want simply by hooking up the Yellow (speedo input) and Orange (Tach input) or not. The signals go from the car to the HUD controller then to the HUD display. I don't know exactly what the control Unit does. I find it a little strange though, that I had to calibrate my Speedometer to set the correct pulses per mile (PPM), yet the HUD is a "universal" unit that somehow knows (?) and needs no claibration. The controller may simply amplify the signal then pass it to the display or it may process it somehow. You might buy the unit and hook the speedo and tach leads to whatever you want and give it a try. Worst case, you'll end up with a very nice red HUD of either speedo and tach (unless your experiment blows the controller

I wish the unit would display BOTH speedo and tach at the same time (either above and below or side-by-side), but that's not the case.

I can take a daytime pic of the Gauge cluster and post it tomorrow. The HUD also has a connection that dims the HUD display when the car lights comes on, so you don't have a glaring HUD display at night.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-10-2006).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2006 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Here's the daylight pic:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock