Started on: 03-05-2006 11:33 AM
Replies: 26
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-19-2006 08:47 AM
ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
I just pulled a HUD from a 93 pontiac bonneville ive bench tested it
the only thing i am having a problem right now is where the VSS wire goes
the fiero has like 4 VSS wires

VSS High
VSS Low
VSS Imput
VSS to Crusie and ECM
I just need to know where to plug in the VSS for the hud

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
You are probably going to have to tap into the speedo circut board for a 4000 PPM signal. The output of the Fiero speedometer is 2000 (going to the ECM and cruise model) and is too slow. Does your HUB have a jumper for 4000 or 2000 PPM?

The VSS output from the trans won't drive the HUD without some buffering.

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
This is what i have for wiring (my colors are a little diff)

Is the VSS High the bufferd one ? C1-S (Yellow)

Also i am powering the hud with a 12v battrey pack and running wires to the fiero wires. (Yes the car has power and is running when i am testing it) would this cause a problem and would i have to get power from the car ?

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

ig88vsbobafett

3446 posts
Member since Oct 2001
So has any one used one of these before ?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
That is the exact HUD I am using. I don't understand the part about the battery...why are you not powering it from the car? I already answered your VSS question in a PM, but for everyone else, the M or N pins are the buffered VSS. The S pin is not buffered. My HUD works perfectly off the buffered VSS.
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunDirect Link to This Post
I have been considering installing a HUD unit but have been a little reluctant as I had not seen any traffic in the subject on the forum. But from the above comments I gather that some of you have either installed or consider installing.

Guess my next question is this: is there a write up on the installation, additional information, etc. You know tips on what one has learned from their own installation.

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

That is the exact HUD I am using. I don't understand the part about the battery...why are you not powering it from the car? I already answered your VSS question in a PM, but for everyone else, the M or N pins are the buffered VSS. The S pin is not buffered. My HUD works perfectly off the buffered VSS.

I am using the Cavalier Digital dash what i really need to know is the wire buffered before or after it comes off the speedo ?

ive tryed pluging is the brown wire (C1-M) plus the power and ground wires but only 0mph shows still

i was just use using my jumper pack to make sure it works before i cut into my harness again

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Jon, I was looking for the thread where you posted a pic of the speedo buffer and showed which pin was the one to use. Do you have it ? (at least i THINK it was you )

Cajun: Try doing a Search in the Technical topics and also the Technical archives.

Here is some info that might help:

http://www.fieroaddiction.com/speedo.html

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-06-2006).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Here's that speedo board information...

As for the speedometer board (84 non cruise, 85-88):

A - not used
B - not used

C - not used
D - not used
E - not used
F - not used

G - not used
H - not used
J - not used

K - not used
L - not used
M - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS from speedometer board (88 only)

N - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS from speedometer board (86-87) ?? per Gary W
P - black/white - ground
R - puple/white - from the VSS (low)
S - Yellow - from the VSS (high)

T - yellow/black - Ignition power to cluster
U - Dark green/white - 2000 pulse per mile buffered Vehicle Speed Sensor signal to ECM and Cruise

I'm about through with messing with these speedo boards, pursuing an aftermarket solution:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=produ ct/product_id=126/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd126.htm

I think it will do everything the stock board will do, and a lot more. I hate buying stock clusters at about $65 a pop and canabalizing the board out of it. The Dakota box is about the same price and a GT cluster is spared.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-07-2006).]

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
ok still nothing

I am using thease wires

T - yellow/black - Ignition power to cluster
M - 4000 pulse per mile buffered VSS (88 only)
P - black/white - ground

Should the speedo work with just thouse wires pluged in ? or are more wires needed ?

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Thank You Jon. That's the one I was thinking of
PFF
System Bot
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post
Heres the pin out diagram for the 88 fiero speedo
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
BEAUTIFUL !

What kinda money did you guys give for your HUD units ?

Are they something you leave ON all the time, or do they get annoying after a while ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-07-2006).]

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

BEAUTIFUL !

What kinda money did you guys give for your HUD units ?

Are they something you leave ON all the time, or do they get annoying after a while ?

I got mine for $20. my brother has one in his grand prix and leaves it on all the time. after like a week of it on you dont even see it unless you want to

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

It was kind of annoying at night but I kind of got used to it.

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

All working now thanks to jscott1

Because i am using the cavailer dash i had to wire in the fiero speedo board

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The HUD's I've been running into have been around $100 - guess I'll be doing a little more shopping. Man, I LOVE that Cavalier dash; gues I need to get going to put in the one I have
ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

The HUD's I've been running into have been around $100 - guess I'll be doing a little more shopping. Man, I LOVE that Cavalier dash; gues I need to get going to put in the one I have

I have this great yard areound here thats a pick and pull. I got that dash for $30 i got a Turbo sunbird dash for a friend for $30 95 firbird seats $25 each the hud for $20 (+ a bunch of other little things) 88 fiero coupe bumper $30 88 fiero dash $20 full 88 front supention $75 (friends)

ig88vsbobafett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettDirect Link to This Post

ig88vsbobafett

3446 posts
Member since Oct 2001
One other thing i did is i cut out the dimmer controls. the tilt is used with a pull wire so if i need to move it all i have to do is pull it from under the dash
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Wow - wish i could get stuff at those kinda prices Unfortunately, southern california is the most expensive third-world country I've ever been in ...
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
ig88vsbobafett - what were the final connections ? What color wires on the cavalier dash and HUD did you connect to what color wires on the fiero ? This would be MUCH appreciated . I'll be installing a cavalier dash into my 88 (with cruise control) soon.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-15-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
{bump}
pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Things that go bump in the night....

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Quatch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuatchClick Here to visit Quatch's HomePageSend a Private Message to QuatchDirect Link to This Post
Sorry this may have come up before but what is that gauge cluster out of cause I want one?
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2006 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Chevy Cavalier Z24
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2006 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
{bump}
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i guess he's not telling

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock