Headlight control module by stalen88GT
Started on: 09-05-2005 09:52 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: 88fierogt123 on 09-17-2005 03:00 PM
stalen88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
Hello forum members,

I am in the process of trying to replace my headlight control module and I found two on ebay. One for a corvette and one from a trans am. They are both of late model cars and they look identical to what I pulled of my car. Would they work in my 88gt v6 is my question to you all?

Many thanks in advance for quick responses
Galen

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well folks I am taking the plunge and going to purchase a module from a late model trans am and I will update this post to let every one know if it works out. I am sure there are a lot of us out there with finiky headlights on the gen2 headlights. wish me luck and I will see you on the other side.
Galen
stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post

stalen88GT

472 posts
Member since Oct 2004
Now that I am fully engaged in a conversation with myself I have to reflect. When looking at the corvette module the seller is sure that it works on vettes 88-04 and it looks exactly like mine and the trans am then I am pretty sure that gm in all their wisdom to keep costs down probably have been using the same control module for the last 17 years. If it aint broke don't fix it mentality, what do you all think? could I be right or wrong? feed back is welcome.
t76racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t76racerSend a Private Message to t76racerDirect Link to This Post
Well, I dont want you to talk to yourself, you know people might start talking.

I agreee with your logic they probalbly are the same, I have read on here that the haedlights are interchangeable or atleast some of the parts soo, we'll see right.

Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
Yes!! They are the same module. Both should work. I have several of them here, I've pulled them from Firebirds, Sunbirds and Corvettes. All were the same module.

Good Luck

Max

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
well thanks for a kind reply and for keeping me company by now as I am typing I am probably winning the bid on ebay so hopefully in a few days I will be able to have working headlights again.

Yes, a comment about keeping me company. 18 views and not even an opinion and we live in the worlds most opinionated county. any who thanks for your support
Galen

------------------
Make it FAST or don't make it :)

LITTLE RED BOMB..............Someday it will be mine..The Teacher
www.velocityaircraft.com

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Hummmmm.............
14 minutes and three posts . . . . . . . must be a chat room?

The T/A module will work fine and I suspect the one from the vette would too.

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well an update on the module problem ....................

IT DOES NOT WORK. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to double check with the forum members before I lambaste this ebay seller and make sure that a module that comes from a 90-02 trans am would work on a fiero gen2 headlights.

Galen

Sullivan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SullivanSend a Private Message to SullivanDirect Link to This Post
Could also be they both work and that was not the problem.
Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Sure your light switch is good?

Ground wire in good shape?

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 09-10-2005).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Unlikely that two modules would be bad. Be sure to check the wires right at the weatherpack connector plugged into the module. This link has more info.
PFF
System Bot
stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am not concerned with all the electrical mumbo jumbo, because, (my fault I forgot to mention) I switched my old module back in just to make sure all systems were a go and they were. My Driver side light functions correctly but the pass. does not. So I am left with the impression that the module is bad and this yokel sold me bad goods. Which would really piss me off.

Back to my original question. Does it matter that the module is off a late model car or not, because all the connectors are identical and it even has the same lettering on molded on the plastic. if it had been redesigned electronically I am sure that gm would have done the whole package. Any way keep the info comming thank you.
Galen

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by stalen88GT:

I am not concerned with all the electrical mumbo jumbo, because, (my fault I forgot to mention) I switched my old module back in just to make sure all systems were a go and they were. My Driver side light functions correctly but the pass. does not. So I am left with the impression that the module is bad and this yokel sold me bad goods. Which would really piss me off.

Back to my original question. Does it matter that the module is off a late model car or not, because all the connectors are identical and it even has the same lettering on molded on the plastic. if it had been redesigned electronically I am sure that gm would have done the whole package. Any way keep the info comming thank you.
Galen

take your driverside moduel and put it on the passenger side to make sure it is the moduel then if it works you know the mod is bad. take the good mod down to napa and get a new one. i am amazed by the idiotnets ability to make people do stupit things. try that then ***** . you dont have to buy everything off ebay. matter of fact i hate ebay. those mods are very comon at the parts stores.

------------------
technology is great when it works
and one big pain in the ass when it doesnt.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 09-11-2005).]

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

take your driverside moduel and put it on the passenger side to make sure it is the moduel then if it works you know the mod is bad. take the good mod down to napa and get a new one. i am amazed by the idiotnets ability to make people do stupit things. try that then ***** . you dont have to buy everything off ebay. matter of fact i hate ebay. those mods are very comon at the parts stores.

From the disscussion thus far I'm lead to believe that he is dealing with an 87 or 88 and there is only one module.

So what EXACTLY are your symptoms? Drivers side works normally and the passenges side will not raise, I got that part.
Can you wind it up manually and will it stay up?
Is the motor turning?
Any electrical checks been done or are you just replacing something and hoping for the best?
A bit more info and we can get those things working.

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

So what EXACTLY are your symptoms? Drivers side works normally and the passenges side will not raise, I got that part.
Can you wind it up manually and will it stay up?
Is the motor turning?
Any electrical checks been done or are you just replacing something and hoping for the best?
A bit more info and we can get those things working.

My headlights used to work with the old module that I had and both motors worked and I have rebuilt the passanger side with new pins from Rodney. The motors were still working. THen the passenger side started to move up just a little slower than the driver side. Progressively it became worse until it would not come up every time I flipped on the switch. Finally it just refused to lift at all, but it would however power down if I manually raised it. The driver side works very well still.

so last night I put in the "new" module that I purchased and not even my driver side flickerd. Not so much as a phallucal twitch. So I am convinced that it is the module unless the module cannot work because it came from a 98-02 trans am. That is the question I need answered. I electrically the lights and motors are sound what I need is a working module.
Galen

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
unwind the passenger side motor 5 turns from it's down position. Turn on the headlights. If it comes up from that position then the motor is binding and the module is killing power to the motor to protect it.

The sort of bindup happens to repaired when people don't clean and/or lube them well enough durring bushing replacement.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
You might of been Bam-Boozled on the module but it sounds like the problem is the head light motor.

------------------

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
GMPartsdirect.com recently improved their alternate catalog and it's now possible to see a list of makes/models where a particular part was used. It's like a poor mans Hollander®. Anyhow, here's what it shows for the HEADLAMP CONTROL MODULE , Part #: 16523917 :

The Trans Am (Firebird) isn't listed past 1992.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 09-12-2005).]

88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
well I pulled the right one out (bad one) and pluged it into the left side and it does the exact same thing, still binds up. Also I bought a module from some one on the forum that sayed they were tested and it still did not work. So I e emailed him and he sent another and the light still doesent work. So I think the prob is in the motor cousing it to bind up or maby the brass bushings are worn causing it?
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

GMPartsdirect.com recently improved their alternate catalog and it's now possible to see a list of makes/models where a particular part was used. It's like a poor mans Hollander®. Anyhow, here's what it shows for the HEADLAMP CONTROL MODULE , Part #: 16523917 :

The Trans Am (Firebird) isn't listed past 1992.

well that pic from GMpartsdirect is wrong.
it says fiero 84-88
so much for trusting the parts books.

88fierogt123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierogt123Send a Private Message to 88fierogt123Direct Link to This Post
IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!! Finaly got it working, after 3 months. I took my motor apart and cleaned the brushes and (brush contacts part?)
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock