Another 4.9 build by fourpoint9
Started on: 02-02-2005 12:54 AM
Replies: 54
Last post by: watts on 10-26-2005 02:29 AM
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Yes, Another 4.9 build thread. I have a huge pile o' new parts and just got some back from American Powder Coatings and the exhaust manifolds back from the ceramic coater Performance Coatings. First Pic. More to come.

------------------
fourpoint9
87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 02-02-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Wow, those parts look good! Good luck with the swap.

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
The shifter is Rodney Dickman's Competition Short-Throw Shifter. The Shift ball is from www.flameball.com

------------------
fourpoint9

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Starting to install parts! Should have some time this weekend to get more done.
My cradle is painted and ready and I cleaned the Isuzu trans with the wifes steam cleaner.

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 02-10-2005).]

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Hey man-----very nice job! Make sure and install a new water pump *before* the engine goes in the car.
What hat is that? I hate my whole caddy hat-thingy---

------------------
Proud Member of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER drive your Fiero Naked Coalition.

85 4.9SE 4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- No I do not want to race!

GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Oh my GAWD! What a beautiful thing to wake up to! Questions:

1) Is that a chrome distributor cap? Where did you get it?
2) How hard was it to disassemble your alternator?
3) Where did you get the front valve cover breather?
4) Which car are your exhaust manifolds from?

Thanks! Awesome job!

------------------
-Rick Stewart
85GT 4.9V8/Isuzu 5-spd in progress...

[This message has been edited by GT (edited 02-10-2005).]

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
I beleive this may be the best looking 4.9 out there.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
Two questions (by the way, it looks great)
1. Is that the Dodge Ram intake? Where did you get it and did you have to modify it?
2. Where did you find that valve cover breather filter? I went around town looking for something to fit the stock location on the valve cover, but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Oh my GAWD! What a beautiful thing to wake up to! Questions:

Thanks! Awesome job!

I know these
1. That is a Clear Cap
4. Deville
I think this one is
3. Accessory isle at pep boys.

------------------
4.9 Caddy ON CRADLE in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
If the car is the same colour as the valve covers, this is going to look really nice - or as the guys in the Dodge Ram commercial say...SWAAAYT.
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

It is a clear Mr. Gasket cap from Summit. I had to replace the spring loaded L shaped hold downs with the screws from the old cap.

I did not take it apart, just used masking tape to cover the aluminum parts

I found it at AutoZone they also had them in Red and Blue. I had to add a grommet from the HELP! section, also the source for the 90 deg.PVC valve holder and the plug on the air cleaner hat and on the waterline.

My engine is from a DeVille but the exhaust manifolds were off the front of two Eldorados
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/057155.html

The Air Cleaner is from ebay for a Yukon but I replaced the blue rubber connector with a 3" connector from the plumbing section at Home Depot
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7953390312&category=38634

Thanks for the nice replies, I will keep posting as I make progress, and Yes the car will be Orange, found a custom mixed DuPont color that looks like the orange on a Lotus Elise. Mr. Mike's Super Sports black with orange welts and matching leather door covers coming soon.

------------------
fourpoint9

PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

Starting to install parts! Should have some time this weekend to get more done.
My cradle is painted and ready and I cleaned the Isuzu trans with the wifes steam cleaner.

Sharp looking engine.... Makes me want to pull mine out and redo mine

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I sure do like those fuel lines! Someone twisted mine up like a pretzel---DOH!
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

I sure do like those fuel lines! Someone twisted mine up like a pretzel---DOH!

Yeah, I had to go back to the wrecking yard to get a second set after messing up the pair that came with the motor.

------------------
fourpoint9

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Impressive looking. Thanks for sharing the pics. I am looking forward to seing pics of it in the car now.

Pete

------------------

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
fourpoint9-

Thanks for the info on the clear cap. I got one from Summit. The coil looks clear as well, or maybe silver. Where did you get that?

-Rick

Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
Fourpoint9 --- I have a throttle body hat like yours that I bought off Ebay also. But did you have to use a spacer to clear the throttle body? If so , what did you use?
Looks great !!! I like the orange !!!!
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2005 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
I modified the hat with a black plastic ring made for stepping up a air filter for a carb. I found it at Schuck's Auto Parts. It was a little large so I cut a small amount off and epoxyed it to the hat.

Here's a pic of where I cut the clear cap to use screws instead of the L shaped hold downs.
I used the stock coil. It looked clear because I did not have a coil on it when I took the other photo.

I bought a Luisi Stering wheel and MrMikes Leather Seats and Door Panels.

Also bought Konis, InTrax Lowering Springs, and a Full set of Poly Bushings.

------------------
fourpoint9

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2005 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
WhoHoo
nice build up thread!!

------------------

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Any new pics>?

------------------

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
How did you cut the Spring loaded L clamps? I need to cut mine and dont want to trash the cap.
PFF
System Bot
fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

How did you cut the Spring loaded L clamps? I need to cut mine and dont want to trash the cap.

I used a cutting wheel on a die grinder and hacked away, carefully

I will post more pics soon, I have my flywheel and clutch mounted and the trans is on the cradle.
Wish I had more time to work on it. No time this weekend, the wife and I are headed for Vancouver BC to celebrate 15 years of marriage (Today is our anniversary)

------------------
fourpoint9

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
Anyone interested in a set of those valve covers powdercoated in either, mirror red/ mirror chrome/ mirro black/Gloss Black/ danger yellow/ or anodized red over chrome? I have a 4.9 distributor, valve covers, intake manifold, and som other parts, like the oil filter adaptor, Im not using them and can do the powdercoating and sell them if there is an interest. P.S. disasembling an alternator is not hard, the only problem is the bolts tend to snap then your screwed. That orange color looks sweet on that engine cant wait to see it in the car.
Formula 4.9

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2005 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 4.9Send a Private Message to Formula 4.9Direct Link to This Post
p8ntman442,
You have a PM.

------------------
New name same attitude....
The geek formerly known as Tweaker

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
New Pics.

Custom flywheel.

Centerforce Clutch.

I made the engine mounts and bought Rodney Dickman's trans mounts.

Next up, install Ed Park's wiring harness.

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 03-14-2005).]

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a photo of the front of the engine? I would like to see how you routed the belt. Are you going to use A/C?

------------------
FierOmar

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2005 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
No AC.

I used the "slot the Altenator bracket trick" on rockcrawl's page.
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49i.html

Thank you - rockcrawl !

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 03-14-2005).]

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
Your gonna have to add a spring loaded tensioner in that belt system or something or your alternator will not get enough "wrap" around it. I had the same setup, following what someone else had done. It worked for a month till my belt got a little worn, then it slipped 100% of the time. It was the most annoying sound ever. I kept replacing belts, and stuff, but it ended up being the belt slipping on the alternator pulley. To fix, I got a stock alternator bracket to add the idler below the alternator, and also added a camaro tensioner to the right of the alternator. This more than doubled the alternator wrap. Fixed everything, and the tensioner makes changing the belt 400x easier. Its almost as if it was made to fit there.

good luck.

Let me see if I have a picture.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Nice engine Nothing more apealing than a nicely painted/powder coated engine.

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by collinwestphal:

Your gonna have to add a spring loaded tensioner in that belt system or something or your alternator will not get enough "wrap" around it. I had the same setup, following what someone else had done. It worked for a month till my belt got a little worn, then it slipped 100% of the time. It was the most annoying sound ever. I kept replacing belts, and stuff, but it ended up being the belt slipping on the alternator pulley. To fix, I got a stock alternator bracket to add the idler below the alternator, and also added a camaro tensioner to the right of the alternator. This more than doubled the alternator wrap. Fixed everything, and the tensioner makes changing the belt 400x easier. Its almost as if it was made to fit there.

good luck.

Let me see if I have a picture.

THANK YOU I would much rather upgrade to a tensioner now before I install the motor. A + 4 U
I will have to get the bracket from the wrecking yard.

Do you have a part number for the camaro tensioner?

------------------
fourpoint9

Kento

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

THANK YOU I would much rather upgrade to a tensioner now before I install the motor. A + 4 U
I will have to get the bracket from the wrecking yard.
Do you have a part number for the camaro tensioner?

93 Camero 3.4 V6 tensioner is what you want.

PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
Glad I could save you some frustration.

He is right, I also think 94' ones work too. I got a new tensioner from autozone for $40 I think. The ones I found at the junkyard were not in the best shape. You do need to make a small bracket to secure one end of the tensioner. I know I have a picture of my setup and bracket, but I can't seem to find it right now. I'm sure it is posted in the thread I made when I corrected this nightmare! Its a very simple bracket.

When do you expect to have the engine in and running? It looks great.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
here is a related thread:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/052483.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050119-2-055582.html
My setup is similar to these with a different bracket.

[This message has been edited by collinwestphal (edited 03-16-2005).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
go here for all the nitty gritty on my bracket as meantioned in the link in above post: http://members.shaw.ca/edmontonfieros/

Tim

ps >> looks good, nice job

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 03-17-2005).]

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2005 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Well I made my own version of the Camaro Tensioner Bracket. Now I just need the correct size belt.
Here's the pics:

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 05-23-2005).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Wow! That is the nices bracket I have ever seen. Nicely done.
Jeff Smith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff SmithSend a Private Message to Jeff SmithDirect Link to This Post
That is an outstanding looking bracket. Good job.

Do you have any measured drawings or template?

I have to have it for my 4.9.

Thanks,
Jeff

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
ditto on that. hook us up on that bracket

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Tensioner Bracket Drawing 1

Tensioner Bracket Drawing 2

Please post in this thread if you make a bracket like mine. I would love to see who else uses this design.

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 03-25-2005).]

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2005 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

fourpoint9

1058 posts
Member since Feb 2004
When I installed the belt the inside edge hung over the tensioner's pulley just a tiny bit.
I was afraid it would frey the edge of the belt so I moved the whole bracket inward.
I had to grind where it meets the altenator, the spacer and moved the hole on the inside brace.
I repainted it, remounted it and put the belt on and it lines up perfect now.

------------------
fourpoint9

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 03-22-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave