Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  The real deal on Cavalier digital dash's?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

The real deal on Cavalier digital dash's? by VTfiero
Started on: 05-14-2005 06:53 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: aerosmithr0cker on 05-15-2005 04:06 PM
VTfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2005 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VTfieroSend a Private Message to VTfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,

I've searched around and it seems that there is a lot of opinion on the cavalier digital cluster. I really like to do this mod, but I would like to hear from those who have first hand knowledge or experience with it. Is it so unreliable that it's not worth the efffort? Is the physical install a perfect fit, or will it always look "added in"?

Are there any other GM digital clusters that fit the Fiero?

Thanks!

Brian

[This message has been edited by VTfiero (edited 05-14-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2005 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how they fit Fiero... If you are talking about the digital units from mid 80's Cavalier models like Z24, I can tell you they are major pains in the ass. The drivers for the flouresent display commonly blow out. Cars with these dashes frequently failed insepction because the owners/inspectors couldn't read the odometers. The things would collect data but you couldn't read anything due to the dead display drivers. They are one of the most horible designs I've ever seen.

If you are really bent on doing this... make bloody sure the thing works before you even remove it from the donor car.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

VTfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2005 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VTfieroSend a Private Message to VTfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre, yeah I was talking about the late 80's Z24 cluster (should have stated that in the post). Your reply seems to be the general consensus. Sounds like you've seen/worked on a few in your day?

Also, do you happen to know much about the Blazer cluster from '89 to '94? That is a sweet looking cluster (to me). I have seen nothing anywhere about anyone putting one in the Fiero.

Thanks for the info, + for you.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2005 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
I snagged one out of a 92 Buick Riveara, it looks like it will fit with no cutting, only issue may be the depth. I'll snag a pic when I get home.

Rob

VTfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VTfieroSend a Private Message to VTfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I snagged one out of a 92 Buick Riveara, it looks like it will fit with no cutting, only issue may be the depth. I'll snag a pic when I get home.

Rob

quikgta this thread I found while searching the subject might be of considerable interest to you -

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050410-2-058030.html

Wolf_lq1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wolf_lq1Click Here to visit Wolf_lq1's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wolf_lq1Direct Link to This Post
I've never seen a cavaler digital guage that worked right,nor any other 80's gm digi cluster for that matter

------------------
~Wolf
95 camaro, black t top, 3.4 five speed
slowly working an a 3.4 DOHC swap
fiero guys inspire me

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

I don't know how they fit Fiero... If you are talking about the digital units from mid 80's Cavalier models like Z24, I can tell you they are major pains in the ass. The drivers for the flouresent display commonly blow out. Cars with these dashes frequently failed insepction because the owners/inspectors couldn't read the odometers. The things would collect data but you couldn't read anything due to the dead display drivers. They are one of the most horible designs I've ever seen.

The main problem with these (or any flourescent display) is NOT the drivers, but rather the power supply that runs the display. There are usually only 2 causes for the display to fail:

1) the stupid pin through connectors that are used between the layered boards. Constant vibration from the car causes poor solder connections on these pins. Especially a problem with the Camaro Berlinetta displays - the Cavalier displays use ribbon cable between board layers, so this is not a problem with the Cavalier displays (although it never hurts to touch up the solder on the cable connectors).

2) the electrolytic capacitors dry up and change value (easy to spot, it looks like the plastic wrapper on them has shrunk). This affects the way the circuit works from, not working to causing the mosfet to work harder than it needs to, and as a result the mosfet usually packs it in. The mosfet is responsible for converting the cars 12v to the 30+ volts (varies for each model) that is need to power the displays.

If you are lucky you can get away with just changing the capacitors (there are a lot of them in the Cavalier display), but 90% of the time the mosfet has packed it in as well. If you have a display that is working, best to change out all the capacitors on the power board: it is the board on the opposite side of the displays (the microprocessor board is the one in the middle). On the Cavalier displays, you should also change out the 4000uF capacitor on the microprocessor board as well (it's the big one and you can't miss it). Note: the 4000uF has a physical size limitation, anything bigger than what is in there and the display will not fit back into the housing. Usually the replacements are physically smaller in size.

Of all the dashes I have fixed, I have only come across: 1 where the display driver board was no good; 1 where the microprocessor board was no good.

On a side note: the LCD displays (the pretty colored ones, TransAm GTA/Corvettes/etc) are much more reliable when it comes to the electronics. They usually suffer from burnt out bulbs as they are backlit. However these displays have their own problems relating to the displays themselves. The 'liquid' in the displays, if left in direct sunlight (ie: roof off car) for extended time frames, will start to boil and crack the glass channels is the displays allowing the liquid to leak out. As a result the display look like all the segments are always on (even when the car is turned off).

Those are probably the reasons why you do not find digital displays in new cars anymore as they are no where's near the reliability of the analog ones...but they still look cool

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-15-2005).]

aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2005 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
The early to mid 80s digital Camaro Berlinetta Cluster is a nice looking one in my opinion only one i ever saw worked great and this was a few months ago. They are expensive though due to the rarity of them.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock