Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What kind of paint do you guys use to paint calipers?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What kind of paint do you guys use to paint calipers? by Psychosis39
Started on: 04-28-2005 02:06 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Alex4mula on 04-29-2005 08:50 AM
Psychosis39

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Psychosis39Send a Private Message to Psychosis39Direct Link to This Post
its all in the topic

Thanks in advance

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
There are a few choices:
High temperature engine paint (I belive Kragen or Autozone has it,its been about 8 months and hasnt burned off or discolored)
Powder coating
Chrome or gold plaiting...

(feel free to add more)

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
VHT caliper paint. $4.99 at Pep Boys.

These have about 4 years.

PS: Rotor is powder coated

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 04-28-2005).]

2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
You can get the stuff that is made for calipers........$$
Or use a high temp paint........works just as well.....IMO

------------------
88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< <<< <<< < Pix of my GT /-
-/ Pix of my Vettes> >>> >>> >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
used this stuff they had at autozone, comes in a little can and a brush good thick stuff haven't had fading or nothing yet. I tried high temp paint once, but didn't turn out quite as well.

I know it isn't pretty the middle part that is I snapped a shot off before painted the middle if I'm not mistaken.

------------------
http://formula.cryptnix.com

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 04-29-2005).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I did the ones on the Ferraro and vette with reg Krylon. 2 years on the vette and more than 6 on the Ferraro. May need a little bit of touchup, havent really looked lately. I drive in rain and snow too. If i would use caliper paint, Id use the brush on kit myself.
createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
I used the dupli-color caliper painting kit, well in the process of using it. If I paint another set of calipers I will try a different method. It took three coats of paint, with extra touch up in some places and it is tedious as hell to paint with the little brush.

------------------
87 GT - Poly dogbone, RD comp short shifter, Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit, No Cat, FS rear sway bar, poly suspension spring/summer 05'
87 Accord - Stock w/ dents and character

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
I did them in Red with the caliper paint.
It only lasted about 4 months.
The caliper paint I used seemed like it never dried hard enough. The brake dust kinds of got stuck to the paint.

I then sanded them all down, and sprayed them with regular enamal gloss black.

One year later they still are glossy black, and stay clean easily!
I am suprised, I wasnt expecting good results with regular paint.

[This message has been edited by zMacK (edited 04-28-2005).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
I used VHT brand high-temperature brake paint. This is a rattle-can paint that does need a medium-temperature (200 - 300 F) oven cycle to fully cure before you install the parts back on your car. (It sounds like incomplete cure may have been the cause of zMacK's problems.) Note that I painted only the caliper bridges; that's all you can see anyway. VHT has been making high-temperature specialty paints since the mid 1960s.

Two years later, the paint looks good as new when you wash the brake dust off. As with almost any paint process, careful preparation is usually at least as important as the paint you use; the parts must be spotlessly clean and oil free. I have a bead blast cabinet, and that produces a clean part with an excellent surface for paint adhesion. It really cleans up rusty brake rotors, too.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 04-29-2005).]

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Powder coat, very tough.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Painted with aluminum paint - good for 800 degrees C.

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com/fiero.html
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, OZELOT exhaust, Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
I've been using Eastwood Caliper Paint. It's a two part epoxy and we've had it on the Finale since '02, It looks like new, when clean, and all it takes to clean is a spray from a can of brake clean. On the Finale, I used the brush, since then I've been using a cheap detail gun and spraying it, it sprays just fine, but is a little heavy. An HVLP gun would probably work better.

John Stricker

carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
I forget what brand I used but it was a kit form
Paint and Hardner.
And Yellow on my Monte Carlo. Had it on for a year
before I got rid of it and the stuff is great.
Used it on my Fiero in Red and stuff is real easy to
clean.
Prep I guess is how it all turns out, I have also used
engine paint and that worked good but the kits colors
seem brighter.

Kit $30.00 Engine paint $5.00

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
The common VHT paint that I used has been very durable but I think the key item is proper prep which no one has mentioned. I painted mines mounted in the car. First I cleaned the calipers with lots of brake cleaner. After tha I went with a small metal brush and sand paper as necessary and cleaned any suspicius area. Then I used brake cleaner again. Then I cleaned the calipers with soapy water and then with plain water. After being sure they were very dry (5+ hrs) I went and painted them. I use wheel cleaners on them (and labels) with no problems at all.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock