Diesel Fiero?! by Michelhaugh
Started on: 04-03-2003 04:38 PM
Replies: 108
Last post by: Kitten on 10-21-2004 09:42 AM
Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I've not only thought about it, I am doing it right now!!!!
I've had a 82 Buick Century with the 4.3 V6 diesel since it was new and the body was getting pretty tired so I decided to pull the engine and tranny and put it into a Fiero that I had bought that supposedly had a bad engine. It turned out the engine wasn't bad just the exhaust manifold cracked in half, so I'm driving it now as my commuter car.

I bought an extra engine cradle and am installing the diesel onto it. I hope to have it ready to install in a couple of months. I need to put new rings in the diesel after 180k miles.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
BTW my Buick Diesel got 38 mpg and with few mods to the engine I expect to get 40+ mpg in the little Fiero. I'm thinking about doing some serious mods like turbocharging it and modernizing the injection system later. It has an all mechanical injection system now. I've got an extra set of heads and manifolds that I will be modifying the intake and exhaust on.

Rick M.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I'm putting an '83 Olds 4.3l V-6 diesel in mine.

I've got the engine motor mount modified to fit the spare Fiero V-6 engine cradle that I bought and
have the engine mounted.

Next to work out the wiring harness. The diesel harness is really pretty simple compared to the 4 cyl gas engine. I want to make it a plug/unplug so I can slap the 4 cyl back in when I want to do some modifications to the diesel.

Then I will pull the engine and put new rings in it. The engine runs great but burns oil pretty bad.
It looks like there will be about an inch more clearance between the right side of the engine and the right fender.
I'm not sure yet whether I will have to modify the accessories and brackets on the front of the diesel engine. I think not but the alternator looks like it might be close to interfering with the dogbone mount.

The final touch will be to work out an exhaust system and swap the new cradle w/diesel for the 4cyl which is currently in it.

I think I will be making biodiesel fuel for her to eat.(maybe not immediately).

I am hoping to get 40+ mpg(it got 38mpg hwy in the Buick Century) and I know from experience the stock V-6 diesel engine is peppier than the Iron Duke 4 cyl.

Maybe later I will turbocharge the engine and modify the injection system for more power and efficiency.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I'm making progress on my Diesel Fiero. I found a turbocharger that looks like it will work enough to give me 10 lbs boost.
I had to take a little time off to fix a friend's Grand Am. He threw a timing chain and so I replace the engine with one from a salvage yard. It runs great!!. I can see why some guys are putting the Quad4 DOHC engines in their fiero. It is HOT!

I found a stainless steel Fiero 6 cyl exhaust system at the salvage yard for $10.00!! I have it installed on the cradle with the V6 diesel engine.

I need to finish the wiring harness mods and make the crossover pipe into a Y pipe and connect it to the V6 exhaust system and I could put it in and have it running soon.

My next task is to modify the exhaust manifolds and the pipes to mount the turbocharger. I am running into some space conflicts with the radiator outlet and the autotranny TV cable. They are right where I would like to mount the turbo. The exhaust outlet for the turbo also points the wrong direction so I will have to modify it too.

I'm thinking about putting the engine into the car and getting it all running before I do all of these mods for the turbo. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks.

Rick

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
ug! I'll start out with the "to each his own...."
arg...'80s GM diesels were horrible motors!
noisy - stinky - SSLLOOWW
anyways - love the milage tho!
I had a VW diesel for many years 50 MPG on good days, 45 on bad.

but then again - I'd kinda like to see a Turbo Diesel Fiero !?

Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Not a Diesel expert, but turbo diesels run lower compression that stock, something like 17:1 vs 21:1. That era diesel ran an injector pump, mechanical, and ran off the cam. Don't know what the newer ones use, but I would do some research before the turbo, you may have to get different pistons, and I don't know if you can increase the fuel flow on the stock injector pump.....Paul
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
How did you type all of that that fast? Look at post times
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
LOL wow that is on fast typer hehe also that has to be the fastest engine swap ever 1.2 mins lol

------------------
Stock 85 GT 4 speed 2.8

[This message has been edited by red85gt (edited 04-04-2003).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Good luck on doing what most won't touch!
Go for the turbo (twin?!?!) from the get-go. How bout that for bragging rights-just got blown away by a 4cyl diesel!!
Does NOs work for diesels?

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 04-04-2003).]

paintballman_69

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2003 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paintballman_69Send a Private Message to paintballman_69Direct Link to This Post
good luck and i hope u enjoy all the torque and i really would like to see pics
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Good luck on doing what most won't touch!
Go for the turbo (twin?!?!) from the get-go. How bout that for bragging rights-just got blown away by a 4cyl diesel!!

I don't know about NOS for diesel but Propane injection will boost the power significantly. I'm thinking about doing that too but I think I would need to lower the compession ratio for it to work properly.

Rick.

PFF
System Bot
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I think I will install it without the mods. Get some miles with the "stock" diesel engine. Get data on fuel economy and accel times, etc. This will allow me to see how much room there will be under the hood to put the turbo, etc. If the Mods will take a lot of time I can slap the 4cyl engine and cradle back in while I work on the diesel.

Rick.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
The compression ratio is driven more by the type of injection either Direct Injection with the 17:1 CR or Indirect Injection with the 21:1 cr. I'm not sure I could do the Propane Injection with a 21:1 cr, It might cause horrible preignition if the A/F ratio is within the combustible range. It might work fine if I keep the A/F ratio above the lean combustion limit.

Later I may convert it from a straight mechanical indirect injection system to a common rail direct injection system. Of course this would mean a bunch of computer controls to work out as well as mods to lower the compression ratio.

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

Not a Diesel expert, but turbo diesels run lower compression than stock, something like 17:1 vs 21:1. That era diesel ran an injector pump, mechanical, and ran off the cam. Don't know what the newer ones use, but I would do some research before the turbo, you may have to get different pistons, and I don't know if you can increase the fuel flow on the stock injector pump.....Paul

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
The late 70s GM V8 diesels sucked wind like a tornado but the V6s were great. The only problem I had was the injector pump had a plastic part in it that couldn't take the heat where the pump was nestled down in the V of the engine. The part died and I (and all V6 diesel owners) had to have it replaced with a new designed part. Other than that it needs new rings after 170,000 miles. I wouldn't call that a HORRIBLE engine!!

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

ug! I'll start out with the "to each his own...."
arg...'80s GM diesels were horrible motors!
noisy - stinky - SSLLOOWW
anyways - love the milage tho!
I had a VW diesel for many years 50 MPG on good days, 45 on bad.

but then again - I'd kinda like to see a Turbo Diesel Fiero !?

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Pics when done? My co-workers can't believe it when I tell them a V-8 fits, what'll they say when they see this!!
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2003 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Anyone see one of the late 70's Camaro Diesels?
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
think I will install it without the mods. Get some miles with the "stock" diesel engine. Get data on fuel economy and accel times, etc. This will allow me to see how much room there will be under the hood to put the turbo, etc. If the Mods will take a lot of time I can slap the 4cyl engine and cradle back in while I work on the diesel.

Originally posted by Michelhaugh:

I'm making progress on my Diesel Fiero.

I'm thinking about putting the engine into the car and getting it all running before I do all of these mods for the turbo. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks.

Rick

I don't know, maybe set the engine in place, you'll see where you can add the mods. Then make the room for them.

Taking any pic's along the way ?

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post

Michelhaugh

274 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Well I made a little progress on my Diesel Fiero this weekend. I started on the wiring harness work. I can tell this is going to be FUN!!! (tongue in cheek) Actually it doesn't look like it will be too difficult to get it running. I won't have a tach since the diesel doesn't have a coil to tap for the tach signal. It will be a bit of work to get the air conditioner wiring and stuff like that working.

To get it running all I really need is to connect the starter wire, the ignition wire to the injector shutoff wire, and the the glow plug circuit, which is fairly simple since I will use a manual switch at first.

Then to connect up the temp and oil pressure guages and I will be ready to roll.

I guess this week I will try to get it to the muffler shop to get the custom Y-pipe made.

Later Guys,

Rick

BTW I will try to take some pictures and post them soon.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
How's the progress? Do you have any pics yet? Why did you bump both threads? The other one seemed to be more informative.
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Things are going a bit slow on this project. I was hoping to drive it to the Fiero Anniversary Meet next week but I don't think I will make it.

I have had trouble getting parts, namely the injector pump driveshaft bushings. They messed them up removing them from the block and now I can't find them anywhere!! Looks like I will have to get some custom made at a machine shop.

I'm taking pictures of the project and will post them in a couple of weeks.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 09-08-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Use LOTS of insulation in the passenger cabin for noise... Good luck ... can't wait to hear about the results you get !
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I'm a workin' on it guys. I got the old 4-cyl out, what a pain!! The 2 front engine cradle bolts were rusted in place. After hours of pounding I gave up and cut them out. The two rear cradle bolt were a pain too. The captured nuts up in the frame both broke loose and started spinning. I had to take the rear body parts off to reach up the frame to hold them. of course, the frame in that area is rusted pretty bad and will require some cutting and welding. I might as well do it now while I've got it open!!! Everything else came out pretty easy.

I've got the 4.3D mounted on a Fiero engine cradle and I stuck a radiator on it and fired it up!! sounds great!! It still is blowing some blue smoke after the rebuild but that should disappear as the rings seat. After measuring and comparing the 4.3D to the 4 cyl, it looks like it will actually be an inch shorter than the 4cyl. I still must work out where to attach the dogbone after I get it in place.

I will probably get the rust repair done this week and get the engine put in next weekend. Wish me luck!!

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 09-08-2003).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2003 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michelhaugh:

I've got the 4.3D mounted on a Fiero engine cradle and I stuck a radiator on it and fired it up!! sounds great!! It still is blowing some blue smoke after the rebuild but that should disappear as the rings seat. After measuring and comparing the 4.3D to the 4 cyl, it looks like it will actually be an inch shorter than the 4cyl. I still must work out where to attach the dogbone after I get it in place.

I will probably get the rust repair done this week and get the engine put in next weekend. Wish me luck!!

Does the 4.3 have the transverse bolt pattern, or does the diesel trans have the SBC bolt pattern? Turbo?

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.

'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
The 4.3 V6 Diesel was originally in a FWD Buick. I simply moved the engine with the 125c transaxle onto a Fiero engine cradle with a small modification to the engine mount and it is ready to go into the Fiero. The wiring for the ignition(now injector pump solenoid), oil pressure light, etc. is going to be the biggest trouble in the transplant, And that is pretty easy!! Oops almost forgot I did have to get a custom crossover and Y-Pipe made to fit onto the Fiero 6 cyl exhaust system.

I'm having fun doing this and that's what counts in my book. After all I resurrected this car from the junkyard and am breathing life back into it.

Rick M.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Progress got delayed this weekend. I spent Sat. afternoon watching my Ohio State Buckeyes squeak out another win. Then Sunday my wife had me driving to Nashville and back after church. I did get my instrument panel modified. I changed the 'shift up' light to 'diesel wait' for the glow plug controller. And changed the 'check engine' to 'Water in fuel' indicator. And added the 'diesel4.3liter' dash emblem to it. It looks like a factory product! Hopefully I will get the rust repair done this week so I can get the engine in this weekend. I also salvaged the '4.3diesel' fender emblems to put on later. I have the 'Diesel Fuel Only' gas cap to put on after I punch out the filler neck restrictor.

Later guys.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 09-16-2003).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You're killing me here, where are the pictures? Keep us updated, I find this transplant very interesting to read about.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-16-2003).]

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be causing frustration but I don't have a digital camera so you'll have to wait until I shoot the whole roll and get them developed(on a CD also). Then I can post the pictures. I didn't take any pictures during the engine assembly there isn't that much different inside. But I have taken some from all direction of the diesel installed in the Fiero engine cradle. Anything that you guys want to see in particular, so I am sure to get the shot? I'd be glad to shoot anything that you'd like to see.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
04-03-2003 04:38 PM

I've not only thought about it, I am doing it right now!!!!
I've had a 82 Buick Century with the 4.3 V6 diesel since it was new and the body was getting pretty tired so I decided to pull the engine and tranny and put it into a Fiero that I had bought that supposedly had a bad engine. It turned out the engine wasn't bad just the exhaust manifold cracked in half, so I'm driving it now as my commuter car.
I bought an extra engine cradle and am installing the diesel onto it. I hope to have it ready to install in a couple of months. I need to put new rings in the diesel after 180k miles.

Michelhaugh

Rate this member

04-03-2003 04:41 PM

BTW my Buick Diesel got 38 mpg and with few mods to the engine I expect to get 40+ mpg in the little Fiero. I'm thinking about doing some serious mods like turbocharging it and modernizing the injection system later. It has an all mechanical injection system now. I've got an extra set of heads and manifolds that I will be modifying the intake and exhaust on.
Rick M.

Michelhaugh

Rate this member

04-03-2003 04:41 PM

I'm putting an '83 Olds 4.3l V-6 diesel in mine.
I've got the engine motor mount modified to fit the spare Fiero V-6 engine cradle that I bought and
have the engine mounted.

Next to work out the wiring harness. The diesel harness is really pretty simple compared to the 4 cyl gas engine. I want to make it a plug/unplug so I can slap the 4 cyl back in when I want to do some modifications to the diesel.

Then I will pull the engine and put new rings in it. The engine runs great but burns oil pretty bad.
It looks like there will be about an inch more clearance between the right side of the engine and the right fender.
I'm not sure yet whether I will have to modify the accessories and brackets on the front of the diesel engine. I think not but the alternator looks like it might be close to interfering with the dogbone mount.

The final touch will be to work out an exhaust system and swap the new cradle w/diesel for the 4cyl which is currently in it.

I think I will be making biodiesel fuel for her to eat.(maybe not immediately).

I am hoping to get 40+ mpg(it got 38mpg hwy in the Buick Century) and I know from experience the stock V-6 diesel engine is peppier than the Iron Duke 4 cyl.

Maybe later I will turbocharge the engine and modify the injection system for more power and efficiency.

Michelhaugh

Rate this member

04-03-2003 04:42 PM

I'm making progress on my Diesel Fiero. I found a turbocharger that looks like it will work enough to give me 10 lbs boost.
I had to take a little time off to fix a friend's Grand Am. He threw a timing chain and so I replace the engine with one from a salvage yard. It runs great!!. I can see why some guys are putting the Quad4 DOHC engines in their fiero. It is HOT!
I found a stainless steel Fiero 6 cyl exhaust system at the salvage yard for $10.00!! I have it installed on the cradle with the V6 diesel engine.

I need to finish the wiring harness mods and make the crossover pipe into a Y pipe and connect it to the V6 exhaust system and I could put it in and have it running soon.

My next task is to modify the exhaust manifolds and the pipes to mount the turbocharger. I am running into some space conflicts with the radiator outlet and the autotranny TV cable. They are right where I would like to mount the turbo. The exhaust outlet for the turbo also points the wrong direction so I will have to modify it too.

Thanks.

Rick

Sorry, but I'm calling a on you. Look at your post times, the first 2 you make it appear to be you, then the next one you make it appear to be somebody else, then the next one you claim you spent a weekend changing the engine out of someones car, and it was only a few minites after your other posts. Your lying through your teeth. 80's gm diesel engines are junk anyways, get a new VW diesel, and swap it in.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:
Sorry, but I'm calling a on you.....Your lying through your teeth. 80's gm diesel engines are junk anyways, get a new VW diesel, and swap it in.

I'm sorry, the tone of your responce seems uncalled for.

He has put more information under a post I created last year about this project.

If it's taking along time for this project, Oh well, that's life. It's his.

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

No! And I agree...to each his own! Why try to make it fast??? It's a diesel! They are'nt ment to go fast or accelerate or anything, just produce good torque with great gas milage...NOT a racing motor! A diesel will blow up if you try to race it! But to each his own...lol

------------------

www.freewebs.com/fierogti

"Go fast before you look fast"
<>{RazorWing}<>

PFF
System Bot
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:
It's a diesel! They are'nt ment to go fast or accelerate or anything, just produce good torque with great gas milage...NOT a racing motor! A diesel will blow up if you try to race it! But to each his own...lol

Do what???? http://www.theclashofthetitans.com/images/videos/vids/Diesel1.mpg

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

I'm sorry, the tone of your responce seems uncalled for.

He has put more information under a post I created last year about this project.

If it's taking along time for this project, Oh well, that's life. It's his.

Check out the beginning post times, he said he did everything in those posts in a week basically, but the post times are within a few minutes of each other.

CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:Check out the beginning post times, he said he did everything in those posts in a week basically, but the post times are within a few minutes of each other.

Did you even bother to check my post ?

we've been talking about this longer than you know.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/018693.html

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Did you even bother to check my post ?

we've been talking about this longer than you know.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/018693.html

i noticed the posts read about the same as the ones in the cool blue thread. probaly just tranposed them to here to give this thread a beginning instead of describing what he did from the middle (somewhat) and depending on readers going to the other thread to know where it came from.

BlueGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2003 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGT87Send a Private Message to BlueGT87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:

No! And I agree...to each his own! Why try to make it fast??? It's a diesel! They are'nt ment to go fast or accelerate or anything, just produce good torque with great gas milage...NOT a racing motor! A diesel will blow up if you try to race it! But to each his own...lol

Diesels are usually built stronger than gas engines. They have to handle compression ratios of 20:1 or greater. If you wanted more power out of diesel you would use propane injection.

------------------
Blue 87GT
Red 86SE

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2003 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Do what???? http://www.theclashofthetitans.com/images/videos/vids/Diesel1.mpg

Holy crap! A 12 second diesel dually?

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 09-17-2003).]

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Could you imagine if thats a manual? ahah. it'd be like doing the running man

James Z

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Holy crap! A 12 second diesel dually?

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 09-17-2003).]

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I got the rust repair completed and got my diesel engine installed this weekend. yea!!!

As i feared, the alternator bracket is bumping against the dogbone brace on the body. BOOO.... I think that I can make some minor mods and fix this problem. Then I went to close the deck lid and, boink, it hits the alternator and air conditioning compressor. D@#%*&*(((7(&_*!!!!! 'explative deleted' .

I knew everything was going too good to be true. Now I am going to have to see if I can modify the brackets and location of the accessories to make it all fit. I was really hoping not to have to do that. I may try to use the original 4cyl alternator since it is smaller in diameter. Then what do I do with the air cond compressor? Oh, this is going to be a pain in the butt!!!

It is the deck lid reinforcement structure that is hitting them. It looks like if that was gone everything would fit fine. HMMMM, that gives me an idea! Maybe I can cut out the reinforcment structure and add it to the top of the deck lid and form a reverse hood scoop, I could get more engine compartment air flow and get rid of the interference at the same time!! The only trouble is that I am not much of a fiberglass artist. It might not look very good... troubles, troubles, troubles...

I really don't want to mess with the brackets and belts and I have access to another deck lid for free. I think I will just take off the deck lid and go ahead and finish the installation. I need to run the wires and hoses and such and get it all running then modify the decklid.

Any suggestions? What do you guys think?

Rick

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2003 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
That brace needs to be cut to clear TPI installations, too. No reinforcement is needed if a small section is cut out.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock