Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Tear-Down and Restoration of Elenor (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Tear-Down and Restoration of Elenor by Elenor84
Started on: 03-27-2004 01:13 AM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Elenor84 on 06-02-2004 11:21 AM
Elenor84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
I finally got the chance to get my car in the garage and get back to work. I have a few tweaks left on the new engine(4.9) and I have started removing all the body pannels in preperation for paint. I just have the door pannels and sail pannels to take off yet.
Here are some pictures of my progress.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
I brought my facia's inside so that I could repair the crack in the front and sand them down where its warm
Speaking of sanding, what would you suggest I sand down the pannels with? Start low and work my way up? 80-150-300???

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

How'd the car run over winter? did you ever get that engine mount?

James Z

------------------

ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elenor84:

I brought my facia's inside so that I could repair the crack in the front and sand them down where its warm
Speaking of sanding, what would you suggest I sand down the pannels with? Start low and work my way up? 80-150-300???

Good grief.. I wouldn't start with 80 grit... That's waay too rough... I wouldn't use anything less than 150 on any kind of bodywork... Get an orbital sander, it'll make the work go faster.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SplineZ:

Looks good!

How'd the car run over winter? did you ever get that engine mount?

James Z

Thanks, I parked it over the winter and bought a Jeep to drive. I did get the engine mount, cost me an arm and a leg just to get alittle welding done on the cradle but it was worth it. Feels very solid now and does not move around. Now just trying to get my temperature sensor working and the drivebelt all lined up.

Good grief.. I wouldn't start with 80 grit... That's waay too rough... I wouldn't use anything less than 150 on any kind of bodywork... Get an orbital sander, it'll make the work go faster.

Glad I asked, whats an orbital sander? Is it a power sander? Should I worry about warping my pannels?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
orbital sander uses round sanding discs and vibrates in 360 degres. The paper is allowed to freely spin as well, works much better than a regular power sander.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

orbital sander uses round sanding discs and vibrates in 360 degres. The paper is allowed to freely spin as well, works much better than a regular power sander.

Thanks, I'll check that out tomorrow at the local tool store.

88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I have been using 150 grit to take off the paint on the facia I am redoing. Using 150 with an orbital sander works well, but if you have to take off alot of the paint be prepared for your garage/shop to get paint dust everywhere. If you just need to rough up the paint to prep it for new paint, 150 is way too course. Use 360 or 400 grit for that. For mine I had to pretty much remove all the paint due to spider cracks all over in the paint. Too bad I havn't found a urithane bumper paint stripper that works, so I have been forced to manually sand it.

[This message has been edited by 88-DOHC (edited 03-27-2004).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88-DOHC:

I have been using 150 grit to take off the paint on the facia I am redoing. Using 150 with an orbital sander works well, but if you have to take off alot of the paint be prepared for your garage/shop to get paint dust everywhere. If you just need to rough up the paint to prep it for new paint, 150 is way too course. Use 360 or 400 grit for that. For mine I had to pretty much remove all the paint due to spider cracks all over in the paint. Too bad I havn't found a urithane bumper paint stripper that works, so I have been forced to manually sand it.

Thanks for the reply, I plan on sanding it right down. Taking all the paint off. I am switching from red to Black so I think it would be best. Not to mention my bumpers, similar to yours are covered with spider cracks.

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
If you're stripping it right off, start with mar-hyde 5611. Chemical stripper for flexible body panels
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Be careful with the stripper. I've had problems with bumper covers that have been chemically stripped where the paint seems to discolor in places. Make sure it's clean.

I use 180 grit on a dual action (D/A) orbital air sander with adjustable speed. It's way too easy to sand through everything right down to the plastic, so run it slow until you get the hang of it. Where you have your crack, you'll need to purchase a 2 part bumper cover repair material from a auto body supply store. Grind out the crack so the repair stuff has something to grip to, and add a little more to the back side for strength. You can then sand the filler to match the facia surface.

Mark
PFF
System Bot
88-DOHC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
In my case, I have had to sand right down to the plastic since the spider cracks originated from the plastic itself. Ideally I just wanted to chemically strip it, but I have tried 2 different types of flexable bumper stripper and neither did hardly anything. Certinaly wasn't faster then just sanding it off. Speaking of which I should probably go finish up the repair/filler work and get it ready to primer/seal it.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Well I got a small but important mod done today. First off I just want to thank Skitime for the idea.

I bought a sheet of aluminum from Rona and used my dremel tool to make a bracket for the antenna. I suggest this mod to anyone who wants to smooth out the lines of the car. Its very easy and only takes about 15-20 minutes.

And the End Result

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I plan on doing that aswell.. I just dont feel like having to patch that hole YET

Hows the radio reception with the antena down there, instead of vertical?

James Z

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I think skitime is running one in each fender, says it works very well.
Mikes88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mikes88GTSend a Private Message to Mikes88GTDirect Link to This Post
Skis might work with the two antennas but mine does not work so hot with just one. I mounted it the same as posted above many many months ago. Reception is poor except for VERY close stations. its also very directional. I can get some ok stations if I am pointed straight at em. Before my car goes in for paint I am going to either decide if I even want the radio or I am going to get a lower profile antenna to use.

Do it at your own risk I guess. if you can call losing radio a risk. I dont care for it much. some may not have reception issues but I did. Or do what ski did and mount two of them. I am curious if that would work for me.

[This message has been edited by Mikes88GT (edited 04-05-2004).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
I actually haven't tryed the radio yet. Personally I don't need it, not with the rumble coming from the back
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
eheh..

You can get a thin antena that can go along the top of your windsheild, a friend of mine has that on his oldass truck.. he said they were like 15 bux or something

James Z

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to have your car ready for the Red Deer meet on May 16? You are kinda doing what I did over the winter, I had all the body panels off of the front of my car, fixed the rust, repainted the front space frame. Took the trunk out and rear fenderwells, cleaned the rust up, undercoated frame, and rusty spots in trunk.

If you will not be ready, I am pretty sure I will have an extra seat for anybody who wants to go.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
befarrer, thanks for the offer but I do plan to be ready for that run. My deadline for this project is april 30th so its really gonna start moving here. I have ordered some parts from the states so I hope they arrive soon.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Today I got a good start on the frame and taking some of the rust off. I used a dremel tool to sand it off, then I painted with rust-proofing paint.

Just waiting for it to dry right now, I'll post pictures of the results in the morning.

[This message has been edited by Elenor84 (edited 04-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
What type of paint are you using? When I repainted my front, I used primer on the spot where the rust was, then regular black paint for the rest of the front. On the frame and every where else, I just used some Ashphalt undercoating, you cant see any of them areas, so I got something that should seal better.

I put the undercoating on the frame behind the rear wheel inner fender, side of the trunk where rust is common, the area where the rivets go for the rocker panel ( the part next to the coolant tube) on both sides, and my front crossmember. I also did my battery tray with this ashphalt because I had a leaky battery and it ate the paint away.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
I'm just using a comman automotive rust paint. Por-15 is to hard to get here so I went with this stuff. I unmasked it and it looks great! I'll post pictures alittle later on today.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Today was a very productive day in the garage. First I want to start off with clearing up this antenna mistery. I tryed my radio today for fun to see what the reception would be like. It was better then it was before! I can now pick up a few extra channels.

Here's some pics from yesderdays finished product of the rust removal and painting.

Before(notice rust strait above the wheel)

After

And the side Before

After

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Elenor84

1946 posts
Member since Nov 2000
I finished the rest of the car today....

Before

After

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Elenor84

1946 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Here is alittle modification that must be done to control the engine's movement in the bay. I want to thank rockcrawl for the idea. I used the same idea but with differnet materials and this may help some people out if they have a spare 88 parts car sitting around.

Aquired a 88 ajustable endlink(proper term?), take it apart and give it a few coats of paint.

Next, get 2 peices of metal welded to your cradle. Have holes drilled in each one.

Then simply attatch the endlink to the cradle and to one of the three holes in the rear head.

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
I found a place locally that you can get POR15 from.. the guys were at powerramma and gave me a catalog..

Eagles Nest Motorcycles Service
15A Alberta Ave. Spruce Grove
780-960-2755, 1-866-960-2348

Here are the prices your lookin at..

James Z

------------------

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys, sorry haven't posted for so long. As your about to see I have been extremely busy these last days

Progress pics

Suspension

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Elenor84

1946 posts
Member since Nov 2000
And my new rims

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Just stopped by to say that your car is looking Great!! Keep up the good work.

Jeff
Jacksonville Fl

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Jeff, preciate the encouragement.
PFF
System Bot
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Yes very nice. love those rims!

------------------
Calgary - August 1, 2004 Fiero Fiesta

FieroJones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJonesSend a Private Message to FieroJonesDirect Link to This Post
Sorry!! Wrong Topic!! )

[This message has been edited by FieroJones (edited 05-12-2004).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Lance! Going to be at the Red Deer run on Sunday? If you want to go and need a ride let me know.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer Cry, I might take you up on that. I'm going to look around and see if I can get a trailer and haul her up with me.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Love those wheels Lance!

------------------

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2004 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Thx onemohr fiero, I bought an orbital sander today and made good progres in sanding down my pannels. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, hopefully have her in the paint shop by monday.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Things are moving along nicely now. I really want to unveil this car to my club at an upcoming show on the 12th of june so that is my deadline. Here's some pictures of my progress as its coming along.

I've decided to change my interior color to black. Here is the cleaning and painting materials I used. The dry fast and look great.
I first Clean intensively with soap and water, then used the silicone and wax remover. The paint has stuck very well. I am now letting the peices set completely.

Here's some still wet photo's and comparison to the old color

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Elenor84

1946 posts
Member since Nov 2000
As I plan on painting my car black and worry'd about the hot summer(I don't have ac) I decided to put a sunroof in my car.
I ordered new headliner material(charcoal) and it will be in on tuesday.

Off with the old

Here's a shot of the new roof skin and headliner that needs to be redone.

Couple Misc shots

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Get that interior back together so I can see what it looks like black

Something I've always wanted to do, not a big fan of the stock grey interior. Looks great so far Lance, keep us updated with lots of pics!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock