Started on: 02-24-2004 10:28 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Francis T on 02-26-2004 05:03 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at rebuilding the heads in my 2.8L v-6 for a good port, polish, deck, and valve job. I'd like to install roller tip rockers on it as well.

On the duke head, you need to machine the heads to accept roller rockers, but is it just a plug and play application on the 2.8's?

Is this the type I need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33624&item=2462038259

thanks a lot!

------------------

'86 2.8L In Progress...
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep

Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The ones on Ebay will not work. You need the ones for a 10mm stud.
The Comp Cams are the roller tipped rockers that are direct bolt in.

Jegs sells them: Jegs P/N: 249-1413-12 1.52 Ratio, 10mm Stud, 16/pkg,
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2642&prmenbr=361

You can also get the heavy duty Comp Cams pushrods at:
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=2703

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot Orief!
+ for you. Is this just a plug & play application?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Just unbolt your old and install the new. They come with new bearings and nuts.
fieroman87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroman87Send a Private Message to fieroman87Direct Link to This Post
if you have the stock cam, then get the 1.6:1 rockers, they'll give you longer duration. Port your exhaust manifolds when you do this to see the most improvement.

------------------
- Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, NERF HERDER!!!
- Who's scruffy lookin'?

Arty: a.k.a. FestYboy or Fieroman87
'87 GT 5 spd.
'88 Festiva 5 spd.
AIM & yahoo messanger: AMAbonus

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
awesome! It's a done deal!
Phaeton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
1.6 ratio rockers do NOT give a longer duration plus they screw up the valve geometry. If you want more duration or lift, buy a cam that has what you want. Trying to make the wrong cam work by changing rocker ratio is not the way to go. The correct cam is out there or it can be custom ground for pretty much the same cost (more).The 1.6 ratio puts the pushrod a lot closer to the stud, grinding clearance on the pushrod hole makes it fit well enough to put a sideload on the stud. The extra lift translates directly into increased load on the cam lobe, lifter face, and the lifter bores. All without changing the duration. The right cam installed correctly makes for a happy engine.

------------------

Dr Vinculum

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr VinculumClick Here to visit Dr Vinculum's HomePageSend a Private Message to Dr VinculumDirect Link to This Post
I do agree, a camshaft change is the best way to change your valve timing to exactly what you are looking for. However it is alot more labor than just changing the rockers. If i had my valve covers off for some other reason, i would not hesitate to swap in some 1.6 ratio rockers. With the correct length pushrods, your valvetrain geometry will be acceptable. Its common knowledge that going from a 1.5 to a 1.6 ratio rocker DOES change your duration by a few degrees, altho that doesnt seem like much, it is a change and will affect how your engine runs. There are many helpful articles online that talk about physics of valvetrain geometry.

Dr V

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
A couple points here. Roller tips don't do much to help. Edelbrock did a motion study years ago that found that roller tips don't roll at some RPMs and at other RPMs they work BACKWARDS. Although the ball and socket pivot isn't too bad, bearings there reduce friction and heat some. Crane even has high dollar roller pivot rockers with a pad to contact the valve, like a stock rocker.

http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=3&prt=103

1.6 rockers give a bit more lift and a couple degrees duration. You might get a couple HP difference. The extra load on the cam isn't an issue, a little more valve spring pressure would have the same effect. It might be 10%. Going from stock to performance springs would be a much bigger difference. If you can handle the extra lift, there's little reason not to use them.

GL

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
Do NOT put 1.6 rockers on the stock Fiero valve springs! The stock springs are only rated up to .420 lift, 1.6 rockers will push the cam lift beyond that.
I agree with the others about the fact that it's always better to use a bigger cam then a larger rocker arm but, if all you're doing is messing with the heads and keeping the stock cam, it's a good way to add a little extra power. If you are doing a rebuild and putting in a new cam then it's far wiser to just go with a bigger cam and leave the rocker ratio alone.

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
Some things I have read about stock rockers and push rods over the years: Some car magazines measured stock rocker arm ratios years ago and came up with anywhere from 1.45-1.49 just because of production differences. Also stock pushrods will flex at higher rpms. The Comp Cams rockers(1.52) and good quality chromoly pushrods will both have less flex at higher rpms thus giving more valve opening.
PFF
System Bot
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
One thing to think about when looking at those articles: who pays the writers salary? Ever see a bad write-up for an advertised product?

If you're worried about RPM, take the weight of those things into consideration. Valve float (or lifter pumpup) is caused by the inability of the spring to control the other parts.

GL

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
So, Going with the STOCK cam and the high perf. rod's and the 1.6 rocker's .. Is it worth the $$... for WHAT you get from it..???

------------------

AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built W I D E BODY~GT!!
"I would rather be hatefully remembered, then just forgotten!!"

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I have the CraneGold full roller rockers in a stock size with their 2030 cam. My old engine had the roller tip rockers. The new engine is also bored and stroke to 3.4 and definitely is more powerful.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-25-2004).]

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Now that's a nice setup! I'd rather buy (and have bought) used Crane gold rockers than new inexpensive ones any day. (Not that yours are used.)

GL

[This message has been edited by Tugboat (edited 02-25-2004).]

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post02-26-2004 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Brand new Crane Gold Race Rockers - 1.6 ratio 25759-12 $318.95!!! Summit Racing CRN-25759-12 ; 1.5 ratio is same price.
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
You may want to save your money for something else. Yeah they're cool, but roller rockers really pay-off with high rpm engines, which the 2.8 is not. I could think of a lot of other mods that will bring better results for the money.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock