Comp. Cams Magnum Roller tip rockers? by Zips86
Started on: 07-21-2003 07:12 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: MooCow on 07-23-2003 02:03 PM
Zips86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zips86Send a Private Message to Zips86Direct Link to This Post
I have an 87 Fiero, and I am looking at building a 3.2, and have a few questions.
First I hear that the Comp. Cams Magnum roller tip rockers are sorta loud? Not sure if that this is true or not. Also with the rockers can I use the stock valve covers or should I get the Chrome Edlbock ones? or a differnt kind of valve covers?
Is there anyone on this forum that has a built 3.2 already?? If so how do you like it?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I had the roller tip rockers in my old engine, they are loud and make ticking sounds. Now I have full roller rockers, they don't seem as loud, but they still make noise. They both fit under the stock valve covers. Here's a picture of both. My new engine is an ARI 2.8-3.4 conversion. Welcome to the forum by the way.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-21-2003).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
They tick and it is a little noticeable outside the car but nothing to worry while you are driving. Some people will tell you that your rockers need adjustment just by the noise.

------------------

Zips86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zips86Send a Private Message to Zips86Direct Link to This Post
So how loud is loud?? Dont want something that everyone thinks is making a knock noise.

One more question for you guys:
If I do get the Comp. Cams Magnum tip rockers do I tighten the rockers to the engine specs or to the Comp. Cams specs??
How do you guys like the 3.2 overall?? Are you guys running regular gas or premium?
Guess I had a few more than one

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Zips86 (edited 07-22-2003).]

Zips86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zips86Send a Private Message to Zips86Direct Link to This Post
Bump

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I have been running premium in mine. I should be able to run a lower grade once the engine is fully broken in. I just didn't want to take any chances while I break it in.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm running those rockers in my engine. They aren't that bad at all. I had never heard someone say they were loud before reading this. Nothing to worry about, get 'em.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I got the CompCams Roller Tips rockers, 1.52 ratio. It does not sound like a motor tick or anything like that. Has a SLIGHT sewing machine sound to it, thats it. You would have a hard time telling mine had roller tips by ear next to another 2.8 (or 3.1).

------------------
1985 Fiero SE
Plain Red V6 Coupe

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Every engine is different and everybody's hearing is different. You may hear a ticking or may not. Overall it is nothing to worry about. Go for them. Now, running premium fuel in a good engine with stock timing is just a pure waste of money. Use normal grade or advance timing a little to take advantage of higher grade fuel (burns slower)
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
if you are getting new rockers why not go to a higher ratio? i dropped the 1.6 rockers on my 3.4 and it made a world of difference
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

if you are getting new rockers why not go to a higher ratio? i dropped the 1.6 rockers on my 3.4 and it made a world of difference

Changing ratios changes the stress put on the valve-train entirely. Simple geometry. Some people choose different ways of doing things. I stuck with the 1.52 and went with a slightly higher lift and longer duration cam. Others would install 1.6 ratio rockers. Everyone is different.

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
well if you put in a cam thats a different story - it still wears the valve guides just as much as the high lift rockers -
the only downfall of high lift rockers is that they increase the force on the lifters translating to more friction to the cam - but I have never seen excessive wear on a cam in even the highest milage engine that was well maintained
different strokes for different folks - I did rocker arms because it was cheap and easy to do with the engine in the car
Zips86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zips86Send a Private Message to Zips86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info thus far. More than likley I will go with them. Now did everyone tighten the rockers to Comp. Cams specs or do the engine specs??

Thanks

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Well, I don't know which method my mechanic used but it was the wrong one. Over time they got loose and I never noticed it and the cam got screwed up. I noticed it when the car didn't want to rev over 5.5K rpm. By the time it didn't rev to 4K I opened the engine and all of them were loose. I guess that's why they ticked so loud. So make sure they are installed correctly.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 07-23-2003).]

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I have had the roller rockers and nave not noticed any unusual noise. Guess it depends how much preload you put on after zero lash. I usually go 3/4 turn. 1/2 might give you more noise. The injectors also tick a little. My 2 cents.. ......Paul
MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
I have those on my 86 GT. It is actually for sale in the mall. I can spot the noise if I listen to the car after it has been running for a while. Not a loud knock type noise, but if you sit and listen you can hear em.

Thanks Ken

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock