air cleaner clearance by chevyguy619
Started on: 05-04-2003 02:22 AM
Replies: 46
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-09-2003 12:03 AM
chevyguy619

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2003 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyguy619Send a Private Message to chevyguy619Direct Link to This Post
I am in the later stages of my v8 swap and I decided to put my trunk back on. To my disappointment the air cleaner doesn't even come close to clearing the trunk lid (it closes about half way.) I am using an archie kit. I have an edelbrock torker intake, a holley 650cfm carb and am using the edl 1002 air cleaner. From what I read on the forum I shouldn't have any clearance issues. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i have an 84 lid with a hole cut in it, but it use to let in rain and snow to the trottle and the cable. i switched to a hump lid and was ok until i added the nos plate under the carb.

now i'm back to the 84 lid and working on ideas

chevyguy619

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2003 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyguy619Send a Private Message to chevyguy619Direct Link to This Post
yeah tommorow i was going to cut out the fins that are on the inside of the trunk. I think that might give me enough clearance. I dont really want to have to cut a hole in the trunk.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Theres always a clearance issue with V8. Some depends on the intake you use. Most use the Edlebrock flat one with mesh. But I dont like them because they will not stop a carb fire. Weiand makes a flat triangle one, but its still slightly tall for mine. 4.9 caddy one is way too tall. You will need one with a inch and 1 1/2 element. 85 GTOs have one the perfect height, BUT its too big in diameter. Im going to end up building myself some kind of ductwork from carb to left fenderwell to make myself happy with it. If I can work something out in fiberglass, I think I could sell them to all the V8 guys. Fresh cold air would be a big improvement.
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
This might have too big of a diameter too, but it is on my 96 grand Cherokee with 318 V8. It is only about a 1-1/2 tall. If the base is too big, maybe someone could fabricate a 1/8 plate to make it fit. Here is a pic. If anyone is interested I could take it off and measure the opening.

------------------
LS1 v8 T-Top 87 GT

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
That Cherokee one, to me, looks like it has some potential.

I don't have the SBC so I can't tell you for sure what will work, but a site you might want to check out is http://www.ramairbox.com/ Don't worry about their Kits, just go straight to parts. They have bases that fit the Holley 4 bbl that have a 1.5" drop relative to the top of the carb. They then have covers that fit a 3" filter that has one or two duct inlets for you to duct cold air into. I've used these guys parts before and they've been high quality. At least you have some options with them.

John Stricker

Originally posted by LS1swap:

This might have too big of a diameter too, but it is on my 96 grand Cherokee with 318 V8. It is only about a 1-1/2 tall. If the base is too big, maybe someone could fabricate a 1/8 plate to make it fit. Here is a pic. If anyone is interested I could take it off and measure the opening.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
LS1swap has the same idea that i'm working on. we had a 99 dakota in the shop with a set up like that but i didn't get to take measurements. i looked at a 00 dakota and it had a different setup on it.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Direct Link to This Post
The air inlet cap from the 5.2 V8 Dodge Dakota is the one you want, I have one that I will eventually get around to fiting on my V8. It did fit well with the single plane Wieand manifold, but then I switched to an Edelbrock Performer, it needs a little trimming to fit. I have the later V6 engine cover with the hump

------------------
84SE, aero body, 5 speed and a 350 V8

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Here's something to take into account. The newer air cleaner systems like the one in the photo for the Grand Cherokee won't work with a carb. Actual carbs require more clearence above than a Throttle Body due to the bleeder port. I was looking at doing a set-up that was on our old Durango with a 5.2 and then after reading up on carbs, found out the clearence wasn't enough for the carb to function correctly. There is a functional clearence as well as a mechanical clearence needed. You can eliminate the functional clearence by substituting one of the new K&N element top filter covers.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-04-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
You can eliminate the functional clearence by substituting one of the new K&N element top filter covers.

Links? pics? anything?

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Links? pics? anything?

They are called X-Stream Air Cleaner lids.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3118&prmenbr=361

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 05-04-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
that's perfect.
i am so there.

it's like the airfilter out of a nissan pickup truck.

thanks.

------------------
Buddy *there are two "G"s in my name*
1.94/1.50 iron heads +0.030, 0.1popup, geardrive, edelbrock homeowner kit, 5spd jap tranny, N2O
car doesn't crank?
got a broken stud?
car wont start coming soon
KCFOG
ME

vwaltdog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogDirect Link to This Post
It's not so bad... is it? come on cut..cut...
chevyguy619

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2003 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chevyguy619Send a Private Message to chevyguy619Direct Link to This Post
thats exactly what I ended up doing vwaltdog, except I had to cut through 4 of the bars.
Kris Duck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kris DuckSend a Private Message to Kris DuckDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought, what about the Holley Hi-Tek setup? It's got two side-mounted air filters
Holley.com Hi-Tek

Not sure of the exact specs. I can see if my Holley catalog shows sizes, otherwise I'll bring one in from my warehouse if anyone's interested.

Regards,

------------------
Kris Duck

Little, Yellow, Different

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 05-05-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13602 posts
Member since Jul 2002
ok ok, i'll show mine

this is what it looked like after i had to put the old lid back on after i put the nos plate under the carb.

the reason for the plate above the grill you may ask...

a quote from my website, "In December my throttle cable froze from rain water getting in it. (The '84 cars have vents in the front of the deck lid). The throttle would freeze while driving on the highway. Very much NOT safe on snowy roads."

------------------
Buddy *there are two "G"s in my name*
1.94/1.50 iron heads +0.030, 0.1popup, geardrive, edelbrock homeowner kit, 5spd jap tranny, N2O
car doesn't crank?
got a broken stud?
car wont start coming soon
KCFOG
ME

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kris Duck:

Just a thought, what about the Holley Hi-Tek setup? It's got two side-mounted air filters
Holley.com Hi-Tek
Not sure of the exact specs. I can see if my Holley catalog shows sizes, otherwise I'll bring one in from my warehouse if anyone's interested.

Regards,

I have this exact air filter that I'm hoping to use on my 3.4L. Height wise it looks like it will fit under the 85-88 notchback bubble, But Leadfoot stopped by one day and there maybe a width issue. The air cleaner goes from the outside egde to the outside edge of the valve covers on a 60* V-6. The trunk side is fine, but the side against the rear window might be a problem. Once my engine is in I'll know for sure.
If anyone wants the exact measurements, let me know. It's over $200 for the air filter. (I got mine as a gift)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I tried fitting that holley one down at jegs. You would have to cut one whole element side off to clear the firewall. Then the one side left wouldnt flow enough air. It would be fine if you extended your chassis for a kit body though.
Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Just a thought, what about the Holley Hi-Tek setup?

Nope . . .
if you already have clearance issues due to a bit higher than normal intakes or that nitrous spacer plate pushing you over the limit,this isn't going to fix it (in the stock form and dimensions that is) either.

Plus shortening the aircleaner by cutting off one side of the element to make it fit will reduce the cfm's to low of a level for the engine to run to it's full potenial.

You can eliminate the functional clearance by substituting one of the new K&N element top filter covers.

Won't work.
Smallest one is a 9 inch, I believe.

------------------

Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Tina

2858 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Copied and pasted from the K&N Site

Use the formula below to compute the minimum size filter required for your particular application. The usable portion of the filter is called the EFFECTIVE FILTERING AREA which is determined by multiplying the diameter of the filter times Pi (3.1416) times the height of the air filter in inches, then subtracting .75-inch. We subtract .75-inch to compensate for the rubber seals on each end of the element and the filter material near them since very little air flows through this area.

A= CID X 5500
----------

A = effective filtering area
CID = cubic inch displacement
RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power

Example: A 350 CID Chevy engine with a horsepower peak at 5,500 rpm.

A= 350 x5500
------------ = 92.4 square inches

Found that to be interesting

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that info tina. Think im going to the yard tommorrow to check on Dakota and Cherokee. Let ya all know. My fav yard specializes in late model stuff.
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Just a thought, what about the Holley Hi-Tek setup? It's got two side-mounted air filters.

Regards,

Well, Im using one BUT: I have a REBODY as well as being stretched 7". I'm not sure that this will fit under a stock hood. The one problem I do have is it is HOT back there & I find some fuel percolating issues. I'm about to insulate the carb with a heat isolator, so add another 1/8 inch.
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 05-05-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

i've got a 9" one on the way so i can touchie feelie it.

it's good to work in the parts dept

Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

The one problem I do have is it is HOT back there & I find some fuel percolating issues.

Interesting

Ever measured the temp back there?
(Not really familiar with your car too much, how is it back there when it comes to ventilation?)
Hot enough for it to be a really bad idea to touch the air cleaner?
Now the fuel perculating, when exactly does that occur?
Oh . . . and one more Q
Think that thing is pulling in enough air for motor?

Alright,
done for now
Tina

red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
Why wont a stock chevy air cleaner lid fit?? They dont have a very tall hight because most of it droops sround the sides. have you tried a stock top and bottom?

------------------
Steve's 85 GT 4 speed 2.8

GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
The issue with the air cleaner being to large in diamiter is that it will come in contact with the deck lid where the hinge bolts on. Tina's measurement of 9" is right on as being as big as I could fit under my deck lid. This is why the pie shape fits, because it is offset back over the engine. Hope this makes sense. It does to me lol Thanks Gary
tripple8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tripple8Send a Private Message to tripple8Direct Link to This Post
I am running the B&M/Holley Hi-Teck.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.
I had to notch the front edge of my deck lid for clearance.
If anyone is serious about running this air cleaner set-up, open the deck lid and measure from the center of the carb to the front edge of the deck lid and you will see what I'm takling about.
YES, it gets very, very hot. Way too hot to touch.
Cold air intake comming soon.

BTW- Running Torker II intake, 650 dp.

Dale

88 Coupe

[This message has been edited by tripple8 (edited 05-05-2003).]

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

Interesting

Ever measured the temp back there?
(Not really familiar with your car too much, how is it back there when it comes to ventilation?)
Hot enough for it to be a really bad idea to touch the air cleaner?
Now the fuel perculating, when exactly does that occur?
Oh . . . and one more Q
Think that thing is pulling in enough air for motor?

Alright,
done for now
Tina

Tina, Yes, I have lots of air... large vents on each side rearward of side 1/4 glass. Also large hood vent. The problem with heating is because I am using 2 VW fox rads & fans in front of the rear wheels, good for highway (180>190*), but in city or when I get on it I can run the temp up to >210*!!! I am currently re-installing the V6 rad to alleviate this condition along with a Holley Spread Bore heat Shield which will add another 1/4" to the height. It's funny as when I was using the standard 'triangle' filter, I did not experience fuel percolation(well, maybe a bit), but, as I installed the Holley, it became much more prominent! I assume that because the 'triangular filter' sat right below the hood vent that i was getting some colder air to feed the engine. All that to say that I expect my 'heat' problems to be minimal once the Heat Shield & 3rd rad are re-installed!
Sandy
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
polished aluminum holds a LOT of heat. That is why they say to never run a polished alternator on a daily driver. The alternator cannot cool properly and it cooks the electronics.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I had the same purculating problem in traffic/stop & go. It would just quit, but would refire back up in a few seconds. Driving was fine. I used a 1/4 plastic thermal spacer and no more problems

Now for the good news, finally come up with a great filter/intake that gets fresh outside air from driver side and NO CLEARANCE ISSUES ANYWHERE.

First picked up a 96 Gran Cherokee V8 carb inlet cover and its ductwork (later discarded) and used my old triangular base.it is only 1 1/2 inches high from top of carb.

I used a grinder to cut around my old base to separate the base only from the filter bottom

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99
after a little cleanup filing, it fits perfectly into bottom of cover. Cover sits too low by itself to seat on carb base.

Purchase Spectre Parts #8219/ chrome air intake tube kit. comes with tube, rubber connector, clamps, and support bracket included. Also part #8132 air filter for 3" tube

assembled tube/carb cover
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

rogergarrison

49601 posts
Member since Apr 99
installed in Raptor. Note small 'L' bracket at filter end bolted to trunk hinge support. It was included with intake kit.

Total cost Jeep carb cover parts $10.00
Autozone Spectre parts (2) $65.00
Your present base (Edlebrock) $ 0.00
or if you have to buy one $20.00

also has 2 fittings in the tube for possibly water injection or NOZ. Everything including clamps came with the above, noting else needed. I chose to leave the air cleaner by the outside louvers, but could easily be ducted into side scoop for ram air. Runs great, even idle is now smoother.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I LIKE IT!!!

i got in the K&N top filter in a 9", i dont think it would work for me, if any one wants measurements of it let me know by tomorrow. as i will be returning it.

red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
Hey roger or anyone who wants to do this set up there is a easier way! All TB 305 and 350 trucks and cars use a 1 " spacer on top of the TB for air cleaner clearence. Saves you the hassel of making it youre self.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
roger,
how tall is that above the carb. my current setup is 2.75 and it's too tall.
GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Roger i would like a measurement from the bolt holding it on to the right side looking at the pic with it installed, And do you have access to another one of those you want to sell? Thanks Gary
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Heres some measurements

I have a Weiand intake, Edlebrock 650.

I have a thermal spacer under carb for anti perculating, thats 1/2 inch thick.

The ring I cut from old Edlebrock air cleaner is 3/4 high, this could be lower if necessary. Maybe as much as 1/2 that.

as it sits with my ring on the carb, gasket, the top of the Jeep cover at the top of the center nut is 2 1/2 inches above the carb air cleaner base surface.

The right side (passenger) of the cover goes 4" past the center of the mounting nut. The carb base itself is actually farther to right than cover.

I did complete some modifications today. I used the Jeep OEM bellows and another short 3" tube to extend the air cleaner into the side intake scoop so rain wouldnt be falling on it in the rain. Still used previously bought parts, cost $0 more. The white marks on the inside of my deck lid are where the old air cleaners were hitting it during driving. No where near it now.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-07-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
thanks,
sounds like it will work for me too.
tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
I run a K&N 9 inch air filter with an X-stream top on it.

I had to use a mustang scoop to make it fit and I did not cut all the hump off of the decklid.
I left the front part of the hump on to give the scoop a little extra clearance and I needed it.
Here is a shot from under the spoiler into the scoop, It's hard to tell but I have about 1/4 inch clearance.

A 9 inch air cleaner is about as big as you can fit confortably in there.
Here is a shot with the decklid mostly closed and you can see I have less than 1 inch between the air filter and the hood brace.

tstroud

------------------
'84 SE 350 5 speed (isuzu)
'69 GTO 400 4 speed

[This message has been edited by tstroud (edited 05-07-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors