Started on: 04-15-2003 03:55 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Monza76 on 05-03-2003 06:26 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
A friend has tracked down a Shadow spoiler, I notice a few people with these. My question is simple, do you have any instructions or suggestions as to the best way to mount the spoiler?

I will not have it until Friday so I am trying to be prepared. Will it require any modification (other than the mounting holes in the rear deck)?

Thanks in advance.
Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I did this last year. It was fairly easy. Pretty much carefully measure and mark the deck lid, next drill the holes, then install and tighten down the retainer nuts. I'll look at my car when I get home tonight, but I think 2 of the mounting studs go into a deck lid channel. Since there were more than enough other studs, I didn't bother with those two "blind" studs, but you could replace the studs with longer ones if you wanted them to go all the way through. Good luck, I love my spoiler and have gotten lots of favorable comments on it.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post

batboy

4943 posts
Member since Jun 99
Could of swore I posted something about how I installed the spoiler on the forum, but I can't find it now. Here is another pic that shows the spoiler.

------------------
BATBOY
1985 SE auto with a 350 Chevy V8 engine (Batmobile)
lowered, suspension mods, Grand Am brakes and wheels,
Trans Am hood louvers, side air scoop, DGP front spoiler,
Mustang hood scoop on deck lid, Dodge Shadow rear spoiler
front mounted battery, custom gauges, stereo mods, etc.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Personally I think it is the best looking spoiler I have seen on a Fiero coupe, nicer than the factory wing and much nicer than the IMSA spoiler which looks huge (I have only seen it in pictures).

Thanks for the info I was hoping you or Jelly2M8 (don't know if I have that user name right)from Nova Scotia with the Yellow V8, would drop a line.

The spoiler I am getting is black I believe (getting my info second hand), but I will colour match it to the red as closely as possible until I can afford an all over paint job. I am doing a hood vent as well, the "Warber" style hood. I like the Sunbird 15"s you are running, I will be looking for larger wheels next year, the 14"s will do for now.

If you have any more pictures please post them, I will take some pictures as soon as mine arrives.

Love your car.
Ira

exspook

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exspookSend a Private Message to exspookDirect Link to This Post
Here's how I did mine:
Removed all the studs. Made a paper pattern of the studs' locations and taped that on to the wing. Set the wing on the deck and moved it around so that it looked good, measured distance from the front part to the edge of the deck (3 inches, I think), and that the "seam" on the wing lined up with the edge of the deck. Taped the pattern in place. Put 10-24 machine screws about 2 inches long in the stud holes and cut off their heads, making sure the threads were still good (I ran a nut onto the screw before putting it in the hole). Drilled holes in the right places in the pattern. The 2 front studs don't go through any braces, but all the rest did, so I had to drill large enough holes in the bottom of the brace to insert the stock washer/nut combinations. That's about it!
I mounted mine farther to the rear than BatBoy, almost flush with the rearmost part of the deck... I liked the swoopy look with it in that position.
Hope that helped/Chris

[This message has been edited by exspook (edited 04-15-2003).]

Monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonsterSend a Private Message to MonsterDirect Link to This Post
I love the look of these spoilers! They look like they were made for the Fiero.

One question though... How's the rearward visability as compared to the wing?

Chris, Thanks for the install tips. I'll be needing them real soon

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Ira, the yellow V8 with the Shadow spoiler belongs to a friend of mine.

Although I did supply him with the spoiler, he did the mounting.

I would imagine it's like batboy said, lay the spoiler in position, mark where the holes need to go for the mounting studs, and drill away. Other than that, I can't elaborate much on the mounting.

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2003 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I found my old post, it was already shuffled to the archives. Here is the link and there are more pics in the old post too.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-021203.html

------------------
BATBOY
1985 SE auto with a 350 Chevy V8 engine (Batmobile)
lowered, suspension mods, Grand Am brakes and wheels,
Trans Am hood louvers, side air scoop, DGP front spoiler,
Mustang hood scoop on deck lid, Dodge Shadow rear spoiler
front mounted battery, custom gauges, stereo mods, etc.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
BATBOY, Thanks, This is just the sort of thing I have been looking for, I like the Shadow spoiler better than any of the "made for Fiero" spoilers and wings out there. I knew it could fit but I wasn't sure how difficult it would be, you have definitely cured any aprehensions I may have had.

Nice work on the car.
BTW what tire sizes are you using?

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 04-16-2003).]

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
I love mine but only have this bad pic of it

Wow, my car was fugly back then. Hehe

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

87FieroGTx

2630 posts
Member since Jun 2001
You can't see it in the pic but the inside of the wing is red and the outside edge is black.

Anyone have any pix of my car from Carlisle 2002?

PFF
System Bot
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Direct Link to This Post
Chris do you have any pictures of your rear spoiler, I would like to see what it looks like mounted further rearward, Thanks

Originally posted by exspook:

Here's how I did mine:
Removed all the studs. Made a paper pattern of the studs' locations and taped that on to the wing. Set the wing on the deck and moved it around so that it looked good, measured distance from the front part to the edge of the deck (3 inches, I think), and that the "seam" on the wing lined up with the edge of the deck. Taped the pattern in place. Put 10-24 machine screws about 2 inches long in the stud holes and cut off their heads, making sure the threads were still good (I ran a nut onto the screw before putting it in the hole). Drilled holes in the right places in the pattern. The 2 front studs don't go through any braces, but all the rest did, so I had to drill large enough holes in the bottom of the brace to insert the stock washer/nut combinations. That's about it!
I mounted mine farther to the rear than BatBoy, almost flush with the rearmost part of the deck... I liked the swoopy look with it in that position.
Hope that helped/Chris

[This message has been edited by exspook (edited 04-15-2003).]

------------------
84SE, aero body, 5 speed and a 350 V8

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Chris, I'm with mafv8 on this one, can you get us a picture of your spoiler so we can see how it looks.

Does anyone have a full side view of a car with this spoiler so that I can see what the profile looks like.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 04-16-2003).]

exspook

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exspookSend a Private Message to exspookDirect Link to This Post
Okay, in the interest of helping out I'll post some pics, but you guys are making me "tip my hand" about the not-yet-famous-exspook notchback!
Hope this helps/Chris

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how you can mount it much farther back than what I did, mine is right at where the deck lid starts curving down (might be able to go farther back maybe 1/4" to 1/2" at most).

Tires are 225-50-15 on front and 245-60-15 on the back.

Here is a profile view.

87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2003 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Hey exspook, our wings are exact

Also, Nice vent/scoop.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I should have no trouble mounting it now. I will probably go with the body colour lower section and the black on the "marked off" upper section.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2003 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
OK, I got the spoiler, it's a beauty, silver with the black strip soon to be red.

Now for the question, the rear corners have a stud each, the uprights have two studs each and the outer edges have three screws per side. Can I use all of these? BATBOY (or anyone) do you have any photos of the bottom of the decklid showing where the nuts and screws end up?

It will be a while before I get to mount it, still very cold up here (0 degrees celsius today, -10 last night) so I can't get at it for a while.

BTW anyone know the paint code for the 1985 standard red?

Ira

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2003 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Heya exspook,

I like your vision on the 'not-yet-famous' notchback!

It loks very unique and I can tell you have put alot of effort into it. I look forward to seeing the finished product!

(+) to you!

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2003 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here are a couple of pictures:

and this one of the top (the paint is awful but there are no chips or dents):

Thanks
Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2003 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Bump
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2003 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I used studs in all of my spoiler holes, made mounting it easier in my opinion.
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
just receized my spoiler in the mail, it looks so good, even unmounted haha, but it seems a like it will just barely fit on the back lid

oh well, i cant wait to put it on

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here are some pictures now that I have the red paint done, the black will have to wait until I can put masking tape on the red.

Top view:

Bottom section (BTW I have the gaskets and will uses a little sealer around the screws and studs):

Next step is some very careful measuring and drilling.

Any special considerations when drilling in the fiberglass reinforced plastic of the rear deck?

Ira

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ira , I like how you left the back part of the spoileer black . The red and black combo looks terrific . Speaking of the red paint , it looks as if it matches the OEM red pretty good . I need to paint a JC Whitney spoiler I picked up and was wondering where you got the red paint you painted your spoiler with ? Part # ? Where purchased ? Did you ever install your rear sway bar ? I installed a '84 sway bar on the rear of my little red coupe , love it .

Please post some pictures on the spoiler when you get it mounted . Thanks .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
fierogsmith I got the colour match paint at Canadian Tire (spray cans) the label just reads GM 82 - 91 Bright Red, the only other number is the Cdn Tire item number (not much good for you). I am sure any outlet like Pep-Boys or some others would have the same colour available, good luck.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Done, Job done!

Here are some pictures of the final product:

here is the side view:

And finally a view looking rearward.

It looks great however, I don't know if I mounted it too far forward or too far back but it did not conform well with the curve of the rear deck. Any suggestions?

Ira
Guess I will have to change my sig pic now

------------------

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 05-03-2003).]

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ira , Lookin Good ! As far as if the spoiler is to far forward or to the rear , only a wind tunnel will tell you that . It looks good ! What more do you want ?

I'm impressed with the look , I like your two tone spoiler much better than the mono paint spoilers that I've seen of the same make .

If you've got the part # on the spay can of paint you used I can cross reference here in the States . Thanks .

P.S. Did you ever install a rear sway bar ????

Galen

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
fierogsmith

The label reads:

47-3592-2
GM 82-91 72
BRIGHT RED
ESCARLATE

Last line is just the French I believe, everything here is bilingual. BTW you will need at least three cans, many coats needed to get a good finish, I will have to remove mine later this summer and paint it again since I only had two cans, it could use two or three more coats for a nice finish. A coat of clear may also help.

No I haven't installed a rear sway bar, I have my alignment set with nearly 2 degrees of negative camber in the rear and pretty much stock settings in the rear. In low speed turns I get no noticeble understeer and just a little throttle and it just digs in and goes. I am not a fan of putting too much roll stiffness at the rear because of the unforgiving nature of oversteer, I like the margin of error afforded by understeer.

My next project is a vented hood (hood with hole cut is resting on my patio right now). I am going for the "Warber" style that Archie used on the Stinger.

BTW there are lots of articles on handling at my web site (see the signature below for the link).

Good luck with your project.

Ira

------------------

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Testing new signature

------------------

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Test of smaller signature file

------------------

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Last time, promise

------------------

Ira Crummey
1985 coupe

2.8-4spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.8-4spdSend a Private Message to 2.8-4spdDirect Link to This Post
Hello Ira

This post seems to be to late now, but it seems you found out that it does not match the excact shape of the deck lid. I found this out when I installed mine, the worst part on mine seemed to be the small pedestals in the center of the wing. If I remember right they have more of a curve then the deck lid. So before I mounted mine I reshaped the bottom of the spoiler. I did this by sanding until I had the the same contour has the deck lid. Most of this was done on those pedastals and the very far outside coners of the wing. But once I was done it has a very nice fit. You might be able to go back and do this if you want. Looks good though

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have the spoiler on a fastback or will the panels interfere?
fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Ira , thanks for the info on the spray paint . I'll see if I can run down a few cans here in the states .

Galen

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2003 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Hey it was my thread so I thought I'd show off my first attempt at a wallpaper using my own pictures. My appologies to Reality, but mine are just for fun and nowhere near his quality, (I have a much nicer version on my computer, this is an early try).

The crest is the one on my fender (poor digital camera quality made an interesting effect):

Thanks for all of the help and interest in this thread, I guess we can put it to rest now.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 05-03-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock