Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Finally got my 3800 Series II Fiero weighed today.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Finally got my 3800 Series II Fiero weighed today..... by Darth Fiero
Started on: 01-10-2003 02:21 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: longtermgt on 01-15-2003 01:23 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Weighed the 3800 Series II Fiero described in my sig today....

2920 lbs w/o driver. 58.8% of total vehicle weight is in the rear.

By the way, my Fiero was weighed by a REBCo Performance Products electronic 4-point scale system specifically designed to weigh race cars.

For a detailed weight distribution check out: http://dtcc.cz28.com/87fiero/weight.htm

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero Coupe #18,838
3800 Series II SFI; 4T60-E Trans w/ 3.33 final drive; Terminator exhaust; 4 wheel vented disc conversion; Walbro 307 fuel pump; W-body air box w/ K&N filter; Rear 32mm sway bar; 134a functioning A/C; GM Pontiac CD player 7-band EQ w/ factory location sub; much more and...a stock GN's TURBO on the way!

Conversions Performed:

1985 SE 3800 Series 1 SC 4T60-E
1987 Coupe 3800 Series II 4T60-E
1987 SE 3.4 TDC 5-speed

http://dtcc.cz28.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-10-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just for reference purposes, motor trend reports curb weight of an 87 Fiero with a 2.8L V6 and manual transmission to be 2790 lbs.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Just as a comparison my Formula with SC3800 and 5 sp weighed 3068 with me in it(about 200 lbs.)

------------------

SC3800

mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
So between your scales and Motor Trend, that's 130 pounds. How much more does a 4T60-E than a 5-speed Getrag? Whould that number make the weight 2868 (w/o Phil's butt in the seat ).

------------------
Roy
Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 01-12-2003).]

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
I believe in one of crazydave's posts, he said the Getrag is 80 lbs lighter than the auto. For reference, my '88GT with Getrag weighed in at exactly 2800 lbs, with 56.5% over the rear wheels. This was the curb weight, (full fuel tank, no driver).

...Rickker

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT with a full tank of gas and me in it weighed 3160.My car has a 3800 SC with a 4T60E.My signature is the car.

------------------
Question my ability,question my intelligence,never question my integrity!

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2003 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
If anyone else has actually weighed their car on scales meant for a car, please feel free to post the results here for all to see.

I strongly suggest not relying on truck scales to weigh your vehicle because most are not vary accurate in registering light loads.

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the info..... I hope this post stays positive. That last one on weight and swaps went kind of south . I weighed mine at a truck stop probably not as accurate, but it came out to 1240 lb front 1660 lb back with a total of 2900 lb.

------------------
LS1 in and running :)

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't that give you 182.96 lbs. more weight in the rear and 52 lbs. less in front than stock weight distribution? How does that not negatively affect handling characteristics? I've always been curious about radically altering the weight distribution of our cars. It kinda sounds like you've got a pickup truck in reverse (they have about a 60/40 distribution).
longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post

longtermgt

425 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Oh yeah, why are Fieros so heavy to begin with? Where does all the weight come from???

------------------

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm I not sure if that question is for me or not but it works to about 57.2% rear... That is pretty close to stock. A pick has a very poor weight distribution so I wouldn't want that any way. I can guaranty it did not get lighter in the front. I moved the battery upfront, and the engine is just a little ahead of the rear axle, so it couldn't have taken weight off the front. I can't notice a handling difference. Just for additional info I have the getrag and a full tank of gas when weighed.

------------------
LS1 in and running :)

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

PFF
System Bot
ItzDaFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItzDaFieroGTSend a Private Message to ItzDaFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
The weight comes from a lot of things. The body panels are a great place to start. Yes they are fiberglass but they are mass produced reinforced non vacuum treated panels made in the 1980's aka fairly hefty. Take off your stock front or rear hoods....not as light as you might think.
kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Some of the increase in weight from these conversions come from the transmissions, not the motors themselves. Below is some GM specs for different auto trannys (I don't have the weights of manuals).

THM 125C (3T40) 3-spd auto [stock Fiero] -- 161 lbs
THM 440-T4 (4T60) 4-spd auto -- 195 lbs
4T60-E (what usually is bolted to a 3800 Series II) -- 203 lbs
4T80-E (Northstar auto) -- 295 lbs

The Northstar auto tranny is so massive it kills any weight savings that the all aluminum Northstar V8 construction gets you.

Ken S.

[This message has been edited by kslish (edited 01-13-2003).]

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Here are some of the ones that I've weighed. FYI I did them all on the same scale, same day too. I assume GM is including the torque converter and fluid with their weights. All of mine were dry weights without converter or clutch.
Muncie 4 speed- 84.5 lb.
Isuzu 5 speed- 98 lb.
Getrag 5 speed- 101.5 lb.
TH125c 3 speed- 124 lb.
TH440T4/4T60 4 speed- ? lb.*
4T60E 4 speed- 159 lb.
Manual flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc- 35 lb.
Auto flexplate and torque converter- 29 lb. (no fluid)

And engines with all accesories:
Buick 3800 Series II SC- 445 lb.
Cadillac 4.9l V8- 371 lb.

Jon

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LS1swap:

Thanks for posting the info..... I hope this post stays positive. That last one on weight and swaps went kind of south . I weighed mine at a truck stop probably not as accurate, but it came out to 1240 lb front 1660 lb back with a total of 2900 lb.

That sounds a little heavy to me. The LS1 is definately lighter than my 3800 II engine for sure. However, like I said before, MOST truck scales can't accurately weigh light cars but, that doesn't mean that ALL of them can't. Depends on the company who maintains the unit. I know this because I weighed my Monte Carlo on a truck scale and it said that my car only weighed 3300 lbs. A couple of months later I weighed the same car on race car scales at school and it said the car weighed 3496 lbs. Almost a 200lb difference.

Big difference on the tranny weights kslish and rockcrawl posted. Someone's scales must be off or someone simply weighed units dry and the other wet.

Great info tho, please keep it coming.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-13-2003).]

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by longtermgt:

Oh yeah, why are Fieros so heavy to begin with? Where does all the weight come from???

the big bulky heavy steel spaceframe

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: GTFiero
Fiero mods almost done...i know that because im running out of possesions to sell for money

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

Big difference on the tranny weights kslish and rockcrawl posted. Someone's scales must be off or someone simply weighed units dry and the other wet.

Read my post again, the answer is there. Mine were weighed dry without the torque converters. I weighed the converters separately. Add them together plus 12lbs for a case of ATF and the numbers are pretty damn close.

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
And just to add more to the heap-o-info: A full tank of fuel vs. empty (who drives with no gas?) is about 70lbs (assuming 6.1 lbs / us gal. and averaging the early to late fuel tanks).
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2003 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
sorry rockcrawl, my bad.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 01-13-2003).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
The spaceframe without engine cradle weights about 600 pounds with everything striped
longtermgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2003 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longtermgtClick Here to visit longtermgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to longtermgtDirect Link to This Post
Is it true that some of the frame is actually bonded with some type of adhesive insted of welded? If so, that is just too cool!
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock