Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Help installing Merkur power steering rack - pictures inside (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help installing Merkur power steering rack - pictures inside by Randolph
Started on: 08-28-2002 02:45 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: Jim Porter on 12-11-2002 04:27 AM
Randolph

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandolphSend a Private Message to RandolphDirect Link to This Post
I know some people have installed merkur steering racks so I hope you guys can help. I have removed my Fiero's (86 SE V6) rack and have bought a rebuilt Merkur rack. I took some pictures to compare them. Since these are obviously from different cars I need help adapting the Merkur rack. First, the part that connects to the steering column looks completely different, any ideas how to make it work? Second, the tie rod ends seem to have a different thread. Should I use Merkur tie rod ends?

[This message has been edited by Randolph (edited 08-28-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
astroracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for astroracerSend a Private Message to astroracerDirect Link to This Post
Put the Fiero rack back in.
You are really getting in over your head here. Do you know what the rack (steering) travel is for the Merkur Rack? It may be less or more then the Fiero rack. Less means you will have a smaller turning radius and more means you will probably be hitting suspension and or chassis pieces at full steer.
As fas as using the Merkur tierod ends, go ahead... But I doubt the Ford ball stud will fit the Fiero knuckle properly and you will probably drop a tierod while driving down the road.
Unless you have some real good engineering skills and the ability to test and measure these components please, stick with the factory parts... ALL of your future passengers will thank you.
Randolph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandolphSend a Private Message to RandolphDirect Link to This Post
I am not trying to invent something new. I know others have done this before or used a chevette rack which also requires modification(for different reasons). Rodney? Rockcrawl? Kasdan?
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Are you doing a kit car? I guess you have a way of mounting a power steering pump somewhere.

You might try Fiero inner tie rods on the Merkur rack. Are those threads the same?

How are you going to mount it to the car? Are the mounts miraculously the same?

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Can you tap the Fiero tie-rods to fit the Mercur threads?

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
go back through the archives. type in something like "bish". this was a person who said he had done it but when asked for details on it and other mods he kind of disapeared. don't know how much info will be in the thread but it is discussed some.
Randolph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandolphSend a Private Message to RandolphDirect Link to This Post
I will be installing a LT1 engine that has a power steering pump and I will also be using the Held Slalom Front suspension. The main thing I am unsure about is how to connect it to the Fiero steering column. I don't have a lot of experience doing custom work like this but I have a good set of tools and can follow directions. I can always reintall the Fiero rack I guess.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
It looks like you got the wrong rack. What year/model is it?
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2002 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
I guess this is where i must make my apearence. Use the merkur ends, but connected to the top of the spindles whereas the fiero ends were on the bottom. the shaft end that goes to the rack (not the colum half) needs to be shortened, i dont remember how much.
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post

Kasdan

1993 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
It looks like you got the wrong rack. What year/model is it?

No that is just how my merkur racked looked, just cleaner

Randolph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandolphSend a Private Message to RandolphDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the rack from Jorgen Auto
http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/mercury.html#MERCURY

The Merkur/XRTI 1985-1989. I ordered the one with the 2.5 quick turn ratio. Thanks for the info Kasdan. I forget, did you ever end up selling your power steering? Were you able to get a Fiero steering rack back on without any problems?

PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kasdan:
Use the merkur ends, but connected to the top of the spindles whereas the fiero ends were on the bottom. the shaft end that goes to the rack (not the colum half) needs to be shortened, i dont remember how much.

Whoa, DON'T do that!

The hole for the stud in tierod end is tapered. You have to use a tapered stud that matches that tapered hole.

Also the input shaft on the merkur rack is splined, whereas the Fiero steering shaft uses a round shaft with a flat side.

Yes you need to shorten the Fiero steering shaft, but you will need to either find a splined coupling for the rack end, or modify the input shaft on the Merkur rack to accept the Fiero coupling.

------------------

Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2002 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
or modify the input shaft on the Merkur rack to accept the Fiero coupling.

this is what was done, forgot to mention that

Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2002 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post

Kasdan

1993 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Randolph:
Kasdan. I forget, did you ever end up selling your power steering? Were you able to get a Fiero steering rack back on without any problems?

Yes, i sold it to Rodney. And i got a quick turn factory rack and shaft which went on no problems.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2002 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You could join a Merkur steering coupler with a Fiero steering coupler to connect the pinion end of the rack. Is the Held suspension available with mounts for that rack?

Do not put the tie rod ends in upside down.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
I've never done this conversion but I'm not afraid to modify stuff to work. The steering shaft looks like all it requires if to cut it off and grind a flat side to mimick the Fiero rack. Since the housing on the Merkur stick out futher than the Fiero rack, the intermeadiant shaft may eed to be shortened to compensate. I've never check the intermeadient shaft but it may be collapsable (a safety feature in cas of an accident) which would make shortening it easy. If not, you may have to have to cut it and reweld to the correct length (actually, I just re-read Kasden's note and he mentioned shortening this interm shaft).

Kasden - Why mount the tie rod end to the top? is that to correct for the mounting height of the rack?

If the rack is in the correct location, why not just cut the Mekur shat ends off and make a sleeve with the correct threads?

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

YELLOW 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.GONE!

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
News Bulletin!!!
The LT1's power steering pump won't fit with a Fiero/LT1 swap. "Unless you are doing a kit car that requires stretching."
There is just not enough room.
Take my word for it. I am looking at it right now.

Originally posted by Randolph:
I will be installing a LT1 engine that has a power steering pump and I will also be using the Held Slalom Front suspension. The main thing I am unsure about is how to connect it to the Fiero steering column. I don't have a lot of experience doing custom work like this but I have a good set of tools and can follow directions. I can always reintall the Fiero rack I guess.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Contact the Zimmer motor car company. I think its http://zimmer.com or somthing like that. They used the Merkur P?S rack on the Quicksilver, you know the pimp daddy species of the fiero world. They did it to the 1985 and 1986 Fiero. They might even have the drawings for the specific assemblies and what parts were used. You may have to find another pump to use with the LT-1, Froem what I've seen, its pretty tight in that area.
S.WIlliams
1987 Fiero SE (Northstar V8) autopsy completed, cause of death was a hole in the block caused by a failing pushrod...
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Maybe it's just an illusion but it looks like you could just cut the Merkur rod ends and re-thread them to accept Fiero tie rod ends. yes?

Also, what ideas do you have for mountng the rack?

Roy

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2002 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I've got some pics of the rack installed that might help:

------------------

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Howard - What about the tie rod ends? Can you get a couple of pictures?

Thanks. These will definitely go into my personal archive for future use.

Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 08-29-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Why do you need power steering? Is it because your running larger tires?
Randolph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandolphSend a Private Message to RandolphDirect Link to This Post
I wanted power steering because I will be using 285-35-18's tires all around. I am building a 355 spyder replica so I do have an extra 3" for the power steering pump on the LT1. I don't know if it will be enough because I haven't test fitted the engine yet.

Thanks for the pictures Howard, hopefully as a result of this thread we will have a step by step procedure for installing power steering on a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by Randolph (edited 08-29-2002).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:
Why do you need power steering? Is it because your running larger tires?

Why not? I'm not professionally drag racing the car. And, I like power steering. I also like power mirrors, power steering, power windows, power brakes, A/C, and AM sports stations.

gt boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2002 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyDirect Link to This Post
um...why would you want to put in this rack in the first place...am i missing something here....kasdan said he replaced his p/s with a quick turn factory rack...why wouldn't you do that...sounds much easier.

...BTW..what the hell is a quick turn factory rack...i just might want one too!

------------------
"it's too bad he had to run out of talent half way through the corner..."

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2002 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
um...why would you want to put in this rack in the first place...am i missing something here....

Yes you are missing something here. I have the power steering kit in my 88 and I love it. It is a night and day difference in the joy of driving my car. I hear this "why would you need power steering in a Fiero" quote quite often. The few that have it know. The rest do not realize the difference it makes. Not to mention the 12.5:1 ratio which is super fast.

Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2002 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt boy:
um...why would you want to put in this rack in the first place...am i missing something here....kasdan said he replaced his p/s with a quick turn factory rack...why wouldn't you do that...sounds much easier.

...BTW..what the hell is a quick turn factory rack...i just might want one too!

There was 2 different ratios for the steering racks, auto zone has both i believe.

------------------

Open Manifold Pushrod 3.4, Lunati Camshaft, 19# Injectors, ZR-1 Cowl Induction Hood,
Fastback Scoops, Mild Weight-Reduction, APR DTM Euro Adjustable Spoiler

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Just wanted to bump it to the top. the only reason is because I wanted to... kinda like power steering.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
For those wondering what car above has that power steering installed.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2002 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Have we as men become so soft that we really need power steering on a small vehicle like a Fiero? Power steering will slow the car down. You will lose valuable horsepower and quite a bit of ET from both your 0-60 time and 1/4 mile times with power steering.
Gentlemen wake up. We are men, strong powerful macho men. Think of those biceps and how much better they will look with manual steering.
When I'm old in a wheelchair and have the nice blue parking sticker dangling from my rear view mirror, then I'll put power steering on my Fiero. Until then give me a hit of nitrous not power steering.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
Have we as men become so soft that the only thing we care about is how fast our car goes in a straight line?

Gentlemen wake up. Race your car in something that involves turning the steering wheel.

When I'm old and in a wheelchair and no longer strong enough to turn my steering wheel then maybe I'll try 1/4 mile racing.

Jeez, Dennis, different strokes for different folks. Why do you always have to bust on power steering?

------------------
Doug Chase
Duvall, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (daily driver)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (rally car)

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Doug -- well said.
LoKey88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2002 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoKey88Send a Private Message to LoKey88Direct Link to This Post
Agreed, well said doug. If the man wants power steering, who are we to rip on him for trying something new and different.

If for nothing else than the "wow factor" to get a reaction from a crowd when you show em a power rack on a fiero

------------------
'88 Red SE (4.9 PFI in progress, currently in wiring stage)
'99 Black Dodge Intrepid (daily driver)

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Please continue this thread. The power steering trolls have gotten their jollies, now let's get back to the install.

P.S. I guess these guys don't realize that all of their macho NASCAR heroes use power steering or that it is used in many forms of road racing. I'm all for power steering. It's certainly more useful than 8 12" subs or neon lighting.

Just my opinion...

------------------
"Its a Fiero thing... Heck, even I don't understand!"

Timothy E. Smith
1986 SE V6
1984 Coupe
1996 Ford Probe GT
1999 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
1975 Chevrolet ElCamino SS

RBeaubien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RBeaubienClick Here to visit RBeaubien's HomePageSend a Private Message to RBeaubienDirect Link to This Post
I am installing a 3800 Series II SC engine and I am leaving the power steering pump on it. ACE says it will fit. Next is to find an appropriate rack. I figured the best subject is a Chevette rack. I hear the mounting points have to change, but it should work. Then run SS lines to the front and hook it up. I'll let you know how it goes.

------------------

Robert Beaubien
87 GT 5-speed

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
I also have a bookmark here. I like to see where this goes. Whether a Merkur or a Chevette rack. Who ever gets one done first, make sure it is well documented as far as part numbers and procedure.

Trolls not withstanding, I don't think I have to get a sample of my testosterone to know I'd like to have PS in my car.

my .02

"Trolls - If you don't feed them, they won't come"

Originally posted by tesmith66:
Please continue this thread. The power steering trolls have gotten their jollies, now let's get back to the install.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
put me on the waiting list too. My wife would love to have power steering.

------------------

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
me 3 I think all go power, if all goes well. Anyone with a N* know if the pump will clear
mikemck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikemckSend a Private Message to mikemckDirect Link to This Post
The Northstar pump clears on my installation into an '88 using the Design One kit. I dimpled the shock tower a little bit to get a little more clearance at the PS pulley.
DarkRain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2002 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarkRainSend a Private Message to DarkRainDirect Link to This Post
Unless you drive on perfectly smooth roads, you like power steering.

I am NOT willing to drive my Fiero to Regina for 8 hours, just because of the lack of powersteering, my arms would go dead from needing 2 hands to hold the wheel at 120 all the way. I would prefer to drive my gas hog Durango for 8 hours than to have lost all non muscle tissue on my arms because the vibration of lumps and bumps in the road breaks down fat!

I want power steering, so keep this going!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock