Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  slave cylinder wont move the clutch arm far enough to disengage clutch. help

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

slave cylinder wont move the clutch arm far enough to disengage clutch. help by GTMike
Started on: 09-13-2002 04:37 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: GTMike on 09-15-2002 07:45 PM
GTMike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
this is on and 87 gt 5speed

first i though it was my slave cylinder. so i bought a new slave cylinder put it in and bead it. the same thing. it wont move far enough to disengage.

could something inside my bell housing be out of wack. this was a slow process. it started to get hard to shift and not want to go in to first. then it would take some searching to get it in to 2nd and 4th then it was gone completely.

i know my clutch pedal isn't bent i check that. and i'm sure there is no air in the system.
i can see the slave cylinder move the clutch arm a little under an inch i think i would need just a little over an inche to disengage.

sorry this is so long i hope some one knows whats wrong and can help.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Try v8archies website. He has a lot of information on setting up the clucth or go to Ogres cave and look in there. I would tell you to try a shim or Rodney's adjustable banjo fitting but you need to make sure that all is working well. The places I pointed out to you have the technical information you would need to check out your clutch system.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-13-2002).]

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the fork arm that controls the throw out bearing is bent , this is a comon occurance in our Fiero's . Get your self an old push rod and cut it about an 3/4 inch longer than the stock rod that is supplied with the Slave cylinder ,OEM , install , should work like a charm .

The arm that controls the throw out bearing after 16-20 years becomes a little bit worn .
To much play !

Give it a try , Couldn't hurt .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Galen is correct......again....lol. I recently had the same problem and just put a bolt in place of the slave to clutch arm rod to make it a little longer. I am assuming that your hydralic system is properly bled and working properly. This worked perfect for me. Hope it helps you.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
well i read archies methods and i didn't do the last step of takeing the bleeder all the way out and then push the rod all the way into the slave then putting the bleeder back in and tighting it. if that doesn't work i'll put a longer rod on the slave. thanks for the posts. i'll let you know how it turns out
GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post

GTMike

626 posts
Member since Jun 2001
not haveing much luck. i blead the slave like archies web site said. but still no change. i dont see how putting a long rod on the slave will do anything because it will just push farther into the slave. and the movement will be the same. any other ideas out there????
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Rigging it is ok and works, but if there is still problems, go ahead and get new forks, and then recalibrate your cables.
GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
whats ringing it mean.

i figured out what the banjo is and it is int the right spot and there is no play in it

i dont think there are any leaks becasue when the pedal is pushed in i can see that the clutch arm does not move back towards the slave at all. i just need the slave to move a littel farther.

one other think i forgot to mention.

yesterday i was just trying things.. so i had the pedal pushed in all the way with the slave not bolted on. i kept the clutch pushed in. then i attached the slave to the bell housing as i tightend the nuts down the in the last few turns the clutch disengaged.
then i released the clutch and pused it back in and it didn't move far enough to disengage it.

i hope i dont have to pull the tranny and replace the cluth fork. it took me so long and was a very tuff job when i replaced the clutch a year ago.

[This message has been edited by GTMike (edited 09-14-2002).]

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post

GTMike

626 posts
Member since Jun 2001
a new up date. i only have 9/16 of an inch throw at the slave cylinder. i'm guessing that means i still have air in the system somewhere. or my master is leaking internally because there is no fluid leaking on my floor.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTMike:
a new up date. i only have 9/16 of an inch throw at the slave cylinder. i'm guessing that means i still have air in the system somewhere. or my master is leaking internally because there is no fluid leaking on my floor.

So have you tried putting that longer rod in it yet?

Archie

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
here is and update. i took the master off just to check it out up close and as i figured there wasn't a problem at all.

and i have blead the system according to your site (archie) over and over.

the longer rod???? archism #7 on your site says it wont do anything except chenge where its starts its throw to being deeper in the slave. so it will still move 9/16 of an inch but it will start deeper in the slave.

its got the steal pedal and its not bent
banjo is in the right place
brand new slave
master not leaking
checked bell houseing bolts and slave cylinder bracket bolts. they are all tight

the only other possible problem could be air some where. or they gave me a slave clyinder that has a differnt volume or something.

can anyone think of any other problems?

PFF
System Bot
MrPBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrPBodyClick Here to visit MrPBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to MrPBodyDirect Link to This Post
Other possibilities:

> Internally dorked-up master cylinder

> Bent pedal. Even though it's steel, it still could be bent. At rest, I think the clutch pedal should sit a bit higher than the brake.

> Worn pedal bushings

> Worn master cylinder pushrod eye, bushing, or pin

> Master cylinder pushrod too short. I had this problem when I replaced my master cylinder: the new pushrod was about 1/4" shorter than the old one. Get Rodney's adjustable pushrod.

If slave cylinder travel is too short -- and 9/16" is too short -- then the problem lies "upstream" of the clutch release arm, in the pedal or hydraulic circuit. You might also check the clutch arm and slave cylinder bracket for bends or fractures; however, that shouldn't affect slave cylinder travel.

Using a longer slave cylinder pushrod is not likely to help. That won't change the amount of slave cylinder travel, only the location of the slave cylinder piston.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTMike:

the longer rod???? archism #7 on your site says it wont do anything except chenge where its starts its throw to being deeper in the slave. so it will still move 9/16 of an inch but it will start deeper in the slave.

OK, listen real close...... IMHO, before you go taking the whole thing apart or worrying that you have a bent clutch arm ..... you need to think this thru.

Here is what I think your problem is.

You'll note that at the fully extended end of the slave cylinder there is a snap ring in the end of the bore to keep the piston from coming out of the end of the bore.

IMHO, your problem is that as you push down the pedal the piston is reaching the end of the bore before the pedal reaches the floor. The piston stops traveling when it reaches the snap ring in the end of the bore.

The only way to solve this is to move the beginning point that the piston starts it's throw in the slave & make it deeper. So that upon full travel it doesn't hit the snap ring in the end of the bore. (or you can move the slave closer to the arm)

Now you've already spent $100 on brake fluid and a slave cylinder and everybody has already told you to tear the thing apart..... go over to the hardware store and buy a 3/8 Dia. bolt that is about 1" longer than your current rod and cut off the bolt head and put it in there.

Archie

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
thanks for posting

i dont think the longer rod would work because when i take the slave cylinder off the bracket the spring inside the slave will push the arm way out like another inch.

i did tare apart my first slave and check it and i made a spacer out of a nut and stuck it in the cup of the clutch arm to give me about 1/4 inch deeper in the slave and it didn't work.

in the morning i will doubble check that its not hitting the snap ring. if it is i will be very very happy becasue that means all i have to do it get a longer rod.
wouldn't the pedal get hard if it was hitting the snap ring? mine goes to the floor smoothly.

one more think this problem didn't happen over night it took a few weeks of tuff shifting then not being able to shift.

the fluid leve has never went down since i bought the car a long time ago.

thank you for your posts it has help me learn alot about the clutch system. i just wish i could figure this thing out.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I had similar problems. New Master and Slave, good lines and clutch pedal. Proper bleeding made no difference. A longer rod in the slave didn't help because the hydraulic nature of the system would "readjust" eventually and you'be back to where you started.

I finally fixed the problem permanently with Rodney Dickman's Adjustable Clutch Banjo http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

I set it to be 1" longer than the rod I took out of the Master cylinder. I works great, "feels right" and it is not bottoming out in the Master cylinder (pedal can still travel to the floor). I haven't had a single problem since, and no readjustment has been necessary.

I can only assume the Master cylinder I bought (not GM) either has a slightly smaller bore or shorter push rod than the original. I no longer had the original to compare it to.

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeSend a Private Message to GTMikeDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by GTMike (edited 09-15-2002).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
OK, listen real close...... IMHO, before you go taking the whole thing apart or worrying that you have a bent clutch arm ..... you need to think this thru.

Here is what I think your problem is.

You'll note that at the fully extended end of the slave cylinder there is a snap ring in the end of the bore to keep the piston from coming out of the end of the bore.

IMHO, your problem is that as you push down the pedal the piston is reaching the end of the bore before the pedal reaches the floor. The piston stops traveling when it reaches the snap ring in the end of the bore.

The only way to solve this is to move the beginning point that the piston starts it's throw in the slave & make it deeper. So that upon full travel it doesn't hit the snap ring in the end of the bore. (or you can move the slave closer to the arm)

Now you've already spent $100 on brake fluid and a slave cylinder and everybody has already told you to tear the thing apart..... go over to the hardware store and buy a 3/8 Dia. bolt that is about 1" longer than your current rod and cut off the bolt head and put it in there.

Archie

Thank you archie.....the very same thing worked great for me......no matter what the nay sayers may say.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post
i'm on my way to the store now. i'll let you know how it turns out.

here is a picture of what i'm going to try in place of the original slave push rod

GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post

GTMike

626 posts
Member since Jun 2001
the longer rod pushed the pisten in the slave all the way to the back of the cylinder. the longer rod is exactly 15/16 of an inch longer then the original one. i guess i'll shorten it a half inch and try it.
GTMike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMikeDirect Link to This Post

GTMike

626 posts
Member since Jun 2001
well shortening the rod a little didn't do anything.

one more thing to add.

i had my roomate behind the car i pumped the clutch pedal like 5 times and then kept it to the floor. then i had him push and it rolled forward. so it disengages when i pump it really quick and hold it in. but as soon as i let the pedal out. then push it back in and have him push the car it wont role.

so what dose that mean?

i was thinking maybe the master was leaking past the first seal or threw those beed holes and in the the next chamber in the master. and the reason its not leaking out on my floor is because it can't get past the rear seal in the master.

does any one think this could be possible?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock