Started on: 10-29-2001 12:04 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: fierosound on 10-30-2001 09:44 PM
JohnF

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
How do I hook up DRLs so they come on with key in RUN and off in any other position?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bill Osmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill OsmerSend a Private Message to Bill OsmerDirect Link to This Post
You really have to supply a little more information about what you want to install. Is this a "home-brew" DRL, or is it something to be transplanted from another vehicle? Are you trying to use the stock Fiero lighting?

Questions, questions, questions...

------------------
Bill Osmer

Fiero_24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_24Send a Private Message to Fiero_24Direct Link to This Post
Why would you want the lights up all the time? I could see it with non-pop up lights.

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/fiero_24
1987 GT

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
How about those really bright amber lights on the new Firechickens? Maybe drill a hole and put it along side the front marker light in the nose. You'd have to get it to turn off when the blinkers are on and when the parking lights are on too.

Wouldn't be too difficult. Bet some people would think its a newer car!

FieroJoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJoeSend a Private Message to FieroJoeDirect Link to This Post
There are two ways that I know of to have DTRL like the newer GM cars with the Fiero. You will be either illuminating the dim filaments in your stock turn signals (like mine are right now), or you can have the bright ones. When you signal a turn with the bright filaments, a relay cuts the constant power so they flash, because the bright filaments are the ones that flash with the turn signals normally.

Unless you can find a different way to do it and still have your parkinglights and turn signals, you'll have to buy 2 30amp automotive bosch type relays. If you want the bright elements, you'll also need a no load, electronic flasher relay. I can post diagrams of either later on when I am at home and a get a chance to find them or redraw them.

JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
I know I can run driving lights off any fuze block accessory that would illuminate and extinguish the DRLs as long as key was in the ON, RUN or ACC positions (radio comes to mind). I was just wondering how to turn them on with key in RUN only and off when key is in any other postion like my modern GM product.

I do to want to use any existing light (turn signal or markers, etc). I will simply add clear "fog" lamps and run appropriate wiring (and switch, if necesary)

The emergency brake interlock to extinguish lights is an added feature of the modern hook-ups but I am not looking for that one.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Why reinvent the wheel. Lawrence already has a kit for the daytime running lights. These work like the Corvette running lights. This is what I have for my car.
http://members.nccw.net/webe/products/products.htm

Lawrence also has sequential turn signal kit for the Fiero. (same link)

------------------

• Red 88 GT T-TOP
  • Red 86 GT
Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
am i missing something? you want to run your headlights... all the time... do you know how goofy a fiero looks during the day with the headlights up? second... you're to lazy to hit the switch? i'm sorry if this comes across mean, but in my opinion its just all around stupid! if i'm missing something please fill me in!
falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnF:
I know I can run driving lights off any fuze block accessory that would illuminate and extinguish the DRLs as long as key was in the ON, RUN or ACC positions (radio comes to mind). I was just wondering how to turn them on with key in RUN only and off when key is in any other postion like my modern GM product.

Thats how I have my fog lights hooked up. There is a large connector on the lower left of the fuse block that looks as if a fuse would go in but its not there. You can wire into the back of this. It is ignition controlled and will do exactly what you want. I have mine wired this way not a DTR but so I dont forget and leave them on. Only down side is I can hear the engine pull down a bit when trying to start it if I leave them on. Was ok in warm weather but as cold weather sets in I have to remember to turn them off before starting.

I do to want to use any existing light (turn signal or markers, etc). I will simply add clear "fog" lamps and run appropriate wiring (and switch, if necesary)

The emergency brake interlock to extinguish lights is an added feature of the modern hook-ups but I am not looking for that one.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:
am i missing something? you want to run your headlights... all the time... do you know how goofy a fiero looks during the day with the headlights up? second... you're to lazy to hit the switch? i'm sorry if this comes across mean, but in my opinion its just all around stupid! if i'm missing something please fill me in!

Yes you are missing something. You are not running your headlights during the day. Watch a late model Corvette come down the highway during the day. The turn signal lamps are on and are bright. This not only looks cool but also allows cars to better notice you car for safety. This allow the the Fiero turn signal to be on bright while running during the day and normal at night. During the day the turn signal flashes between bright and dim and not on and off. During the night the turn signal is normal. Oh and by the way only the front turn signal is on bright not the entire parking lights so I am not just too lazy to turn on the dim parking light switch.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 10-29-2001).]

JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spektrum-87GT:
am i missing something? you want to run your headlights... i'm sorry if this comes across mean, but in my opinion its just all around stupid! if i'm missing something please fill me in!

Obviously, you don't bother to read the message. I have NEVER once mention trying to use existing headlights! I mention DRLs and fogs!

I don't think I'm the one appearing stupid!

If you don't have anything to add - don't take up bandwidth flaming others who ask a question.

SKITIME - thanks, but I don't want to use the dull low-light amber turn signal for DRLs. I want the clear, brightly visible running lights used on current GMs.

Virtually every country who has run a safety study has found daytime running lights a great safety aid - it shows in our motorcycles and GM products today.

PFF
System Bot
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Obviously, you don't bother to read the message. I have NEVER once mention trying to use existing headlights! I mention DRLs and fogs!

If you don't have anything to add - don't take up bandwidth flaming others who ask a question.

SKITIME - thanks, but I don't want to use the dull low-light amber turn signal for DRLs. I want the clear, brightly visible running lights used on current GMs.

Virtually every country who has run a safety study has found daytime running lights a great safety aid - it shows in our motorcycles and GM products today.

Well, in my case I have the option to install the unit on my driving lights in my chin spoiler but I thought I would try a brighter bulb in the turn signal first.
JohnF this unit will do what you want but it is possible to do the same thing with diodes and relays if you rather.

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 10-29-2001).]

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
There are several circuits that are hot in run only... Power window and fan blower come to mind.
Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
heh, my bad, just read your second post. just imagine if someone came in asking how to run the popups during the day! thats what i thought, sorry.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If you are going to use fog lamps and want them also to have DRL usage, you can get DRL modules from GM and subsitute foglight for headlight.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

JohnF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
If you are going to use fog lamps and want them also to have DRL usage, you can get DRL modules from GM and subsitute foglight for headlight.

OGRE! Thanks for the reply, but...

HOW DO I DO THAT?

I have a recent DRL lighted GM product with at least 2 circuit relays and a controlling pc board mounted above the steering column. I am trying to avoid as much of this as possible with my simple Fiero!

I am going to install clear running lamps.

I am just trying to figure out how to make them activate with the RUN function of the ignition and turn off with any other function of the ignition.

Applying power and mounting a simple SPST switch in the cockpit area is easy, just not what I want!

Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2001 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
John,

There are lots of ways to automatically control your DRLs, but you have to be more specific as to exactly how these lights operate. For example, suppose the DRLs are on whenever the key is in RUN, and the headlights or parking lights are off. You could use two automotive relays with high current SPDT contacts and 12 vdc coils. (Radio Shack sells these). The DRLs could be wired through a NO (normally open) contact of one relay (let's call it K1) and a NC contact of the second relay, K2. In other words, to light the DRLs, the coil of K1 must be energized and K2 deenergized. Now, all you have to do is energize the coil of K1 with a circuit that is "hot in Run", and energize the coil of K2 with power to the parking lights. Here is a copy of the power distribution diagram which shows a circuit that is "hot in run" (AC/ heater blower)
http://www.euronet.nl/users/fo_elmo/fiero01.pdf

The power to the DRLs must be derived from source that is always hot, such as a fusible link to the battery. Caution! Make sure that everything is protected from electrical shorts! The relay coils draw very little power and can be energized from the load side of existing fused circuits.

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2001 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post
Since we're talking clear running lamps now, let's look at the obvious...

Lawrence's setup looks cool, but if you're wanting something brighter (and it looks like you're going with clear)

Buy some $40 driving lamps from AutoZone and wire them to your ignition. This is exactly what you're looking for, if I understand this thread.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Michael ~ triadtuning@hotmail.com
-----------------

Photoshop rendering of planned exterior modifications.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2001 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
These are "twin lamp" driving lights. I replaced one of the halogen bulbs with an amber signal bulb. I've wired a GM DRL module to provide 1/2 voltage to the halogen diving lamp. They get full power only when driving using high beams. Super Bright!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock