Started on: 01-13-2001 03:19 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Monkeyman on 01-13-2001 05:45 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Anyone tell me how to adjust the position of the shifter? '85 GT--totally stock drivetrain other than Rodneys super short shifter kit. The shifter leans way to the right--stays in between 3rd and 4th gear when in neutral. Also, when I'm in reverse, I have to pull it to the left to get the back up lights to work.

Is this a simple adjustment? Or something I should leave to a mechanic?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fiero56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
Hi Dave,

The Muncie 4-speed(what your GT has) is supposed to sit in between third and fourth when in neutral. I don't know how to fix the reverse light thing yet, mine does the same thing.

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Dave I had the same problem, but on my back up contact switch there was a little screw at the end that contacts the reverse lever.
I screwed it out a little so the lever would stay in contact when you release the shifter

Someone here told me about that when I was doing my back up light mod. I did not see this screw on my 87, but it was on the TOY. Both are 4SP

Here's that old info: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20000503-2-000918.html

[This message has been edited by DXR_DAD (edited 01-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by DXR_DAD (edited 01-13-2001).]

Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
Yeah what DXR said, there is an adjustment for the BU switch (which I havent fixed in a while... I think ill do that today)

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
OK. I just assumed that the BU light problem and the placement of the shifter were connected. Rodney said something about the shifter standing straight up when in neutral with his shortened shifter. Since I only had the GT a few hours before changing to this shifter, maybe this *is* standing straight up.

I'll try to find the adjustment screw for the back up light sensor/switch. It's not a big deal. I just want everything on the car to work right (until I modify it making it useless ).

Greg Piet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
OK I just fixed mine(2 mins ago).
The screw is ON the end of the shaft that gets pushed by the shifter... so the screw touches the shifter when in reverse...

It was easiest for me to push the top of switch bracket clip forwards so the lip of the clip is facing the radiator to remove the switch to adjust the screw... then plug and chug to get the screw at the right length, and I just popped the retainer clip back in place rather effortlessly.

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Dave, I think stright is 3rd & 4rd. With the stright shifter you just don't have the stock "L" shaped shift rod that places the shifter to the left side???

This is neutral in the TOY

Look Here: www.fieroproject.com/shifter.htm

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2001 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the pics, DAD. It's hard to see but I still think my shifter leans to the right more than that (can't go any farther to the right without being in the passengers lap), but I'll listen to Drew and company and say that it's OK.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock