Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Events
  Route 50 by State - This month: Kansas (yeah, I'm early this time)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Route 50 by State - This month: Kansas (yeah, I'm early this time) by Just Say Go
Started on: 02-20-2009 10:03 AM
Replies: 7 (278 views)
Last post by: blakeinspace on 04-29-2009 09:25 AM
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just couldn't contain my excitement. Gathering information for the first half of our tour itinerary was so much fun, I can't wait to get the details worked out for the second half. So, moving on...

As our caravan leaves Kansas City, it's getting late. For a while, Route 50 joins I-35, and before long we can be at Melvern Lake, if you want to camp (forget the cabins - they require 2 consecutive nights minimum). Otherwise, someone local will hopefully tell us about lodging options in the area.

The next day finds us in Hutchinson, where there are a surprising number of attractions. And not mentioned in those links is a grain elevator that is over a half-mile long, one of the world's largest.

A short detour to Great Bend takes us to the SRCA drag strip. Although it will be Wednesday (according to current plans), maybe we can get them to let us in, if we have enough cars wanting to make some passes.

After that, Kinsley is the half-way point between the two coasts. Nothing else is significant about it, however.

But hang on to yer boots, cuz then we come to Dodge City. In that link, it's easy to overlook the tabs at the top. Hover your mouse over the one that says "Visiting", and then roll down across the list to check out all the stuff there is to do there.

Soon we'll be at the Colorado state line, looking for a place to spend the night. Maybe somebody can help out with that.

See? Even driving across Kansas can be a fun time when you spend it with Fiero folks! Let's hear from all of you who are going to join this part of the tour.

Edit to add the prior state topics:
Maryland & DC
Virginia
West Virginia
Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri

------------------
US-50 | Coast to Coast | www.justsaygo.us/GAS

GAS stuff | The Fiero Store is the exclusive sponsor of GAS

[This message has been edited by Just Say Go (edited 02-22-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a stop in Russell? I volunteer one certain JStricker to fix all attendees a T-Bone steak and tater.

I just checked... it is 70 miles off of Route50.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

Is there a stop in Russell? I volunteer one certain JStricker to fix all attendees a T-Bone steak and tater.

I just checked... it is 70 miles off of Route50.

Whoa there Big Fella. This has to be coordinated, we don't want to arrive during harvest or planting season or John will be putting us to work.

Ron
Just Say Go

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Just Say GoSend a Private Message to Just Say GoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need an opinion from a local or anyone else who knows - can we do all the things in my first post of this thread and still make it to Lamar, Colorado, in time to get checked in at a hotel/motel before it gets terribly late? I am starting to doubt it, since the online map says it takes over 6 hours just to drive from Emporia KS to Lamar CO, and that's not considering ANY stops.

Suggestions are requested.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get gas, take I 70 and head west. Stop in Russell, KS for dinner with John Stricker. Time, you've got plenty of, most of the attractions don't take long to see. But regardless of anything else you do, eat at the Strickers, good folks and don't make fun of John's tractor, he's sensitive about it.

Ron
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheat farmers have two times a year we can't take off.......When we plant and when we cut wheat.

June 16th could very well be in the middle of wheat harvest. Or not. You never know from one year to another, exactly. Chuck and I chatted about this a long time ago and we knew it would be this way. Of course, even if it's right in the middle of wheat harvest and it would rain the night before.......that would free up that day, so it makes things even more uncertain.

My plan is to join the GAS run at some point and just be flexible with when that will be. Now if folks want to come up to the farm and shop, they're welcome, but as Ron said, you might get your butts put to work. OTOH, if harvest is later that year, then for sure I'll grille my lost and wayward son a steak. I'll even put on that special seasoning he loves so much. I might even open the humidor and offer up a roll of tobacco or two. Assuming the government hasn't outlawed red meat and cigars by then.

Great Bend with the SRCA strip is only about 30 miles south of us. RC Williams is the track manager and I've never heard of them having a special event like this before, but even if they haven't that doesn't mean they won't. The problem is it's all a non profit/volunteer thing at the track and most of the people that set up the lights, etc., work during the week so I don't know how that will work.

Do not miss going into the salt mines in Hutchinson. It's impressive. Dodge City is fun for sure.

Driving on US 50 this time of year in KS, though, be VERY Careful of slow moving farm machinery and wheat trucks, and FAST moving grain semis. Until you've been through a wheat harvest you have no idea what it does to the mind of some people and how many risks they are willing to take just to get the wheat in. Me, I'm old and have a serious case of "DGAC" (Don't Give A Crap) so it doesn't affect me like everyone else, but watch yourselves on the road.

We just buried a neighbor yesterday that tried to start his tractor by hotwiring it and was successful doing to. Unfortunately it also ran him over and killed him so be careful.

John Stricker

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 04-29-2009).]

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by Just Say Go:
Soon we'll be at the Colorado state line, looking for a place to spend the night. Maybe somebody can help out with that.

Ok, well, when you cross the CO state line you have quite a bit of nothing for a while. The first town you come to of any size is Lamar. It has some motels but the only national chain I remember is a Super 8 on the north side of town. Lamar is about a 2 hour drive from Garden City and about 40 minutes or so from the state line.

The next thing you'll hit is the John Marten Reservoir close to LaJunta, CO. La Junta also has several hotels and motels and the lake/park has quite a few campsites. Unfortunately from Lamar it's about another 35 minutes to the lake and another 35 or so to La Junta. So from Garden City to get to La Junta you're looking at a drive of around 3-4 hours, depending on how fast you want to drive.

From Melvern Lake to Garden City is about 6 hours of driving time for the 311 miles, with few to no stops, realistically. To make it to La Junta from Melvern will take about 10 hours if you don't stop in Hutch, Great Bend, or Dodge. IMHO, that's not going to work out very well.

I don't know how many people want hotels/motels or just camping. Scott State park is about 50 miles north of Garden City and has campsites, showers, etc. there, but in 50 miles you could also just keep driving to Lamar and add an hour. There are plenty of motels in Garden City.

LaJunta/Hasty/Las Animas have some things to see in that area. At one time, Bent's Fort was only 1/2 mile from the Mexican Border and is interesting if you're into old west history.

The whole thing depends on how many side trips and time you want to spend on the route, but to get across KS and into CO to the LaJunta area, it's going to require pretty much a steady drive with few stops at all. BTDT.

John Stricker

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:
Do not miss going into the salt mines in Hutchinson. It's impressive. Dodge City is fun for sure.

I like salt.

I also want to go to Dodge City... if nothing else to just re-enact Chevy Chase in vacation getting blown away in the Western bar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5mmG-i1Qs
(22 seconds in)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock