Started on: 01-26-2023 06:31 PM
Replies: 10 (174 views)
Last post by: MidEngineManiac on 01-28-2023 12:35 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2023 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I scored a deal on a set of Harley Sportster handlebars. 30 bucks I'd MUCH rather have them than the wide ones I have on the project now.

Problem is, they are 1" diameter and everything I need to hang off them is for 7/8" bars. Meaning I need a 6-8 inch extension on each side. I have a set of MTB bars kicking around I can hack pieces off of, but not sure the best way to attatch them.

Option #1 is just get them welded on. Done.

#2 is 3-d print an adapter/reducer with a 3/8"-1/2" steel rod up the middle as reforcement, then epoxy it all together. About 3-4 inches or so inserted into each side of the joint.

Which one you guys think would be more durable in the long run ?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were me, I would just trade the bars. There are plenty of 7/8" Buckhorns out there. The 1" bars are worth more.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are the semi-ape-hanger type off an 85. Worth it to make them work I think. (not my rug, thats the sellers pic)

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-27-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They ain't Apes until they are up around your armpits. Sportster bars are Buckhorns.

These are Sportster bars on my FLH.

I think you want Pullbacks. 6 bend pullbacks were popular on late '60s early '70s customs.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-27-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, the more I play with this thing and sit on it, the more I realize there IS nothing stock that really works well. Head tube to spine distance is just too far.

Those ones I have on it now are reachable, but 38 wide (wont fit through a door) I only have about 30 degrees of steering use before I run out of outside arm and have to one-hand it. I sit at about the rear seat tube.

Duct-taping the Harley ones in place for a trial fixes that a little but is going to be a tone of re-working. Found out this morning I not only have to extend, I have to re-angle the extensions.

MIGHT have to just bite the bullet, buy a tube bender and make my own custom ones. Sheet, shoulda just taken the 3 grand and bought a project Harley !!!

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2023 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm telling you, 6-bend pullbacks are what you want.

And the fattest back tire you can find.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 01-27-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2023 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sush on the back tire...

The front frame hole gets filled with batteries....

The back one eventually gets filled with a gas motor . I need to 2" wheel for the sprocket geometry to work out. (the electric is front-wheel drive)

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
Problem is, they are 1" diameter and everything I need to hang off them is for 7/8" bars. Meaning I need a 6-8 inch extension on each side.

What exactly is your problem ?

Do you need larger diameter bars, or longer ? What are you trying to hang ?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2023 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Already solved it last night on a builders group. LOL, seems I'm not the 1st one doing this.

Use a couple of the brackets off a set of these. Mounts the thinner bars, adjustable extension, adjustable height, and brings the width down to 24" or so.

Willie was right, kind of a 6-bend but not in a conventional way.

(throttle, grip, switches, mirrors ect I already have are all for 7/8" bars. Didnt want to try to sell a couple hundred of stuff and re-buy)

https://www.amazon.ca/INNOG.. .s%2C126&sr=8-19&th=1

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 01-28-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Already solved it last night on a builders group. LOL, seems I'm not the 1st one doing this.

Use a couple of the brackets off a set of these. Mounts the thinner bars, adjustable extension, adjustable height, and brings the width down to 24" or so.

Willie was right, kind of a 6-bend but not in a conventional way.

(throttle, grip, switches, mirrors ect I already have are all for 7/8" bars. Didnt want to try to sell a couple hundred of stuff and re-buy)

https://www.amazon.ca/INNOG.. .s%2C126&sr=8-19&th=1

If you are going to go that route, search "dog bone risers" and "bicycle handlebar risers".
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2023 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will do tonight.

This is all my own stupidity, I am trying to solve stuff I should have thought of in the 1st place before jumping in eyes closed.

This all started finding this online. I decided it would be cool powered, but trade the height of the front seat post for length and stretch-out legroom with the rear one. Long, low comfortable, cruiser all with bolt-together off-the-shelf stuff. I would have MUCH rather just welded up a frame, but cant do that in a condo. I get enough grief using the zip wheel in the yard.

Never stopped to think if I move my azz back 18", my shoulders go with it so I either kill my back leaning forward or get real creative with the steering.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock