Started on: 11-30-2022 07:06 PM
Replies: 12 (205 views)
Last post by: OldsFiero on 12-08-2022 07:59 PM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2022 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting debate on the future of automobiles of what to really do with side/rear view mirrors if camera technology, vehicle alert, self-driving, lane warning systems are all in place.

Currently it is illegal to not have side mirrors, although some States lets you get away from having just a left mirror or you can do a rear view mirror delete and be legal.

Cameras as mirror may be in our future. I know in Europe they are looking at this being ok. The USA DOT is at least open to comments and information.

“The goal is to characterize drivers’ eye glance behavior and other driving behaviors while operating a vehicle equipped with traditional outside mirrors versus while operating a vehicle equipped with a camera-based visibility system in place of vehicle outside mirrors. This research will support NHTSA decisions relating to safe implementation of electronic visibility technologies that may be considered for use as alternatives to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 111 mirror requirements.”

Tesla's Cybertruck is being said to not needing side mirrors at all, and that they are easily removeable by the owner if needed, but most be sold with them currently.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a problem, to me.
Look how long it took for the DOT to decide that sealed beam headlights didn't need to be a requirement.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2022 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new f-1 rule no mirrors just cameras

because a mirror can fall off on the track
and they all ready have the tv picture cameras in place
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try fixing a OEM car camera...
These won't easy or cheap when they die if can get replacement parts at all. Many to All are very likely to be serialize parts tied to BCM etc and only Dealers and High $ shops w/ High $ "Scanners" to program the BCM to allow new cameras.

Common to have Dealers Void Warranty claiming Customer Abuse and other nonsense. Better hope you can afford "Complete" car insurance even after you paid off a loan. And even that may not help you if parts just dies.

Even "Dumb" Areo HL assemblies w/ Halogen HL bulbs cost $500 or more.
LED HL & Taillight cost way more and often Does Not last as advertise or perform better.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2022 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's also the focal length problem. Driving along, you're focused way out there. Look in your mirror, it's focused way out there.

Look at a screen simulating a mirror, it's right here. A lot of fast focal length changes that add up to eye fatigue.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2022 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And, when the display itself no longer works.....
(no, smacking it on the side or top won't fix it)
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2022 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...just thinking how useless the rearview camera is on my vehicle now once it gets dirty...
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2022 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...just thinking how useless the rearview camera is on my vehicle now once it gets dirty...

Yeah, I'd imagine with snow, it probably gets a lot more dirty, more often... because it takes with it all the road grime etc.

But yeah... I use my rear-view constantly... I'm always checking my mirrors.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2022 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
OE or Aftermarket?

The one on my Kia that nearly never cleaned doesn't have problems w/ RV camera and dirt. Some times rain sticks and first time drive maybe hard to see but even that is better then huge blind spot to backup.

People say RV cams don't work but 3 mirrors and driver moved around trying to look can't see in the huge blind spot of most SUV and trucks and many car models too.
If drivers walk behind and pavement was clear when got into the vehicle, kids and animals can wall into the blind spot in micro sec's then driver runs them over...
But Face facts Most driver never bother to look behind before getting in and wonder why they run over inanimate objects.

If a RV Cam dies, is supplemental to the Mirrors that does need power to work.
I'd hate to loose the camera on the Kia but still drive safe if it does.
Fiero has a bigger blind spot that many ignore plus body parts make it hard to see sideways backing out of a parking space. Many ask me is it fun to drive but answer is yes w/ some exceptions like backing up is close = to a Pickup trunk w/ bed cap or cargo van.
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2022 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
weird, ive found my fiero excellent for visibility! I have my side view mirrors adjusted to just barely include the outer edge of my rearview mirror, and when i turn to look out of them, anything too far ahead is well within my peripherals. backing up with the mirrors is not something i like to do, but turning my head to look behind me gives a very clear picture, and the car being so short depth perception with it is quite easy
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2022 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Lonely_Potato:
weird, ive found my fiero excellent for visibility! I have my side view mirrors adjusted to just barely include the outer edge of my rearview mirror, and when i turn to look out of them, anything too far ahead is well within my peripherals. backing up with the mirrors is not something i like to do, but turning my head to look behind me gives a very clear picture, and the car being so short depth perception with it is quite easy
Only When whatever is mostly direct behind you... (Even Ignoring the Blind Spot right now.)

Fact: In most places is Your Fault by Law hitting anything or anyone for backing in/on to them/it. So very often you will get a Ticket w/ 1 or more Points and/or Sued for this issue even if another car speeds thru a parking lot etc. (Points then most Car Insurance will jack the price often for years costing you even more $.)

Backing out of parking space often need to look rear & sideways and blocked here by huge B pillar + Sail Panels for Notchies and mod's for GT at minimum behind rear glass.
Worse when parked near big things or they have black out glass that you can't see thru them to back out using your side window. (you parked like that or often came after you left...)
Because you need to see what is coming down a road or aisle before and during back out.

RV cameras are good but many OEM and Aftermarket units have a narrow view to see nearly direct behind you too.
Some Buick models and others have rear cameras or sensors looking at a wider angle to back up to try to see things you can't see from driver's seat no matter how mirrors are aimed or you trying doing an Owl.

Even then the Buick ad is likely to crash backing out because other driver is too fast to have enough time to Buick driver to avoid backing. Even w/ auto brake of the Buick may not help...

Now the Blind Spot...
Get a large box ~ 2 feet per side.
Put it next to the Tag.
Easier to have a helper to push/drag the box until you can see enough to id the thing easy and stop move.
Then get out and look for this big thing vs distance.

More of a clue...
Use tape measure and helper.
Anchor tape next to the Tag on ground.
Helper moves back until you see their feet and measure distance to their feet for future ref.
Now move the tape to the deck lid and pull tight and look how much the area can hide.
PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2022 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem with mirror delete is law most of time even if you had a full vr set up it isn't what is specified a mirror so still need to keep them for that reason. Eg Tesla has to use mirrors.
OldsFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2022 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldsFieroSend a Private Message to OldsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Yeah, I'd imagine with snow, it probably gets a lot more dirty, more often... because it takes with it all the road grime etc.

But yeah... I use my rear-view constantly... I'm always checking my mirrors.

Yeah, add in a dirt road and it's useless. If the road is wet, you can barely see an image when we get to town. The only vehicle we have with a camera is my wife's '15 rav4. It is OE.
We are so used to using our mirrors that we hardy ever look at it anyway.

Marc

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock