Started on: 01-21-2022 07:11 PM
Replies: 20 (257 views)
Last post by: randye on 01-22-2022 11:24 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weaponized drones are here — it's time for the US to act
https://www.msn.com/en-us/n...AT1jAC?ocid=msedgntp

The recent attack on Abu Dhabi, carried out by drones equipped with explosives, signifies a dramatic shift in Iran's strategic offensive strategy. We have reached the apex of the overall drone strategy, on which our adversaries have been focused since Desert Storm in 1991. With drone technology sufficiently advanced to carry weapons and explosives, drones are now capable of deployment on land and sea throughout the world.

The last time the United States successfully employed a large mechanized, armored force was during Operation Desert Storm in 1991. We have gained relatively little knowledge since that campaign against Saddam Hussein. After that conflict, every nation learned an important lesson and our adversaries began to alter their strategies: Instead of engaging a military force's most powerful strengths on just any battlefield, a military instead should seek out its enemy's vulnerabilities and exploit them with weapons and tactics against which the adversary cannot defend itself.

It has become clear that the advanced capabilities of drones, the U.S. failure in Afghanistan, and our military and political disaster in Iraq are all examples of how our adversaries' tactics and strategies are evolving while the United States appears to remain stuck in the Cold War's post-World War II organization, purchases and methodologies. Our opponents have gained valuable experience from each battle; on the other hand, America has refused to confront the reasons that we seem to be incapable of winning wars - and, more importantly, why we lack the strategy and capacity to prevent wars in the first place.

This month's drone attack is a good example of this phenomenon. It seems unlikely at this juncture that the U.S. Navy has the capability to track drones, especially small ones flying at low altitude. Tracking drones across land or water would necessitate the presence of a U.S. unit on land or at sea. However, while certain commercial marine radars may be able to identify the drones, Navy ships are not yet equipped with small, high frequency "boat" radars, which may detect the drones.

Since 9/11, the Navy and the CIA apparently have overlooked capabilities - both our own and those of our adversaries - at the low end of the technological spectrum. This is one of the problems with the way we have developed our defense systems.

Consider the Oct. 12, 2000, attack on the USS Cole in Yemen's Aden harbor. Three individuals in a small fiberglass boat launched a two-minute attack that sunk a $1 billion, state-of-the-art guided-missile warship and killed 17 soldiers. A billion-dollar asset was brought back to the United States repair port like a fish on a boat deck, lying on the back of a big barge. The repairs conducted on the boat took months to complete, and the amount of money expended for towing the barge out and back was likely unimaginably high. For weeks, images of one of our most advanced missile boats being destroyed by three jihadis in a single-engine fishing boat appeared in Middle Eastern newspapers.

If the United States cannot capably track drones, it is worth mentioning an ominous, yet completely feasible scenario: Bad actors could float up the Potomac River, stop for gas in Old Town Alexandria, and then, later, launch their drones on Washington in the pitch black of a moonless night, causing havoc in the United States. This is an unavoidable consequence of readily available drones. Someone can simply strap a five-pound high-explosive charge on a drone and have the potential to cause significant damage in our nation's capital. It would practically be a "name your target" affair. Law enforcement would search for hours to determine where and what caused the attack, yet it is possible that the watercraft would have traveled deep into the Chesapeake Bay, past Oregon Inlet, and into the Atlantic before sunrise.

In essence, we are unprepared because we have insufficient or nonexistent knowledge about the plans and intentions of our opponents. Before another terrible attack happens on U.S. soil, both our military and law enforcement must invest in technology and systems to track new and emerging threats.
[b][b]
I happen to agree with the author, it does not appear we're prepared to deal with this threat. Hopefully the Defense Dept has some genius's working on a way to block signals/detect these small weapons.
[/b][/b]

Rams
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silence, nothing but crickets.
Ya know, when drones first made their appearance, I stated this would eventually end up being weaponized. Caught some flack over that on this forum. Guess what, it happened.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-21-2022).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

[b][b]
I happen to agree with the author, it does not appear we're prepared to deal with this threat. Hopefully the Defense Dept has some genius's working on a way to block signals/detect these small weapons.
[/b][/b]

Rams

There are a few counter-drone systems out there. Gun nets, water jets, and even trained falcons. They're trained to pick up on the sound of twin / triple / quad fans and zero-in on it... except the hawk, I don't know how they train the hawks, but whatever.

There are also hand-held and platform mounted counter-UAV systems like this: https://usdgs.com/drone-blaster-anti-drone-gun/

... they flood the spectrum with heavy, heavy output that totally jams the drone so it loses GPS and goes into standby mode (which is either usually to hover, or a slow descent).

My personal opinion... we need to properly configure one of these, a C-RAM or a SeaWiz.

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Weaponized drones are here

YES, they are here and they've been here for well over 25 YEARS.

Where have you been?

Here's a very small sample of a few:

Here is a more comprehensive list:

https://armedforces.eu/air_forces/ranking_drones

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-21-2022).]

Fats

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The crackheads around here use drones to scope out potential targets. They can park a ways away, and literally go window to window looking in houses while they sit in their car.

I've always thought that it shouldn't be too difficult to scan for the signals they send back to the operator and do something with that info. I've wondered about building an "attack" drone that would just take down another drone by homing in on the radio signal. Sadly, I'm not smart in that area.

otakudude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for otakududeSend a Private Message to otakududeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Recently it's been reported in a number of news sources that the Mexican drug cartels are using civilian drones to both bomb rival cartels and civilian targets.

It's only a matter of time until it comes here.

Results from a quick google search

[This message has been edited by otakudude (edited 01-21-2022).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

YES, they are here and they've been here for well over 25 YEARS.

Where have you been?

Here's a very small sample of a few:

Here is a more comprehensive list:

https://armedforces.eu/air_forces/ranking_drones

Well, same place you have been the last two decades. And if you'd care to research a bit, you'll find that I've said it before that drones have been, are and will continue to be a threat. The whole point is, countering these things doesn't appear to be a priority and it should be.
The author of that article is correct.

Rams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id be surprised by anyone thinking drones wouldnt be weaponized.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't give too much credit to the author of that article.

I happen to agree with the author, it does not appear we're prepared to deal with this threat. Hopefully the Defense Dept has some genius's working on a way to block signals/detect these small weapons

Three individuals in a small fiberglass boat launched a two-minute attack that sunk a $1 billion, state-of-the-art guided-missile warship and killed 17 soldiers.

The USS Cole was NOT sunk.
The author doesn't have a friggin clue what he is talking about.
Phalanx (what Todd called 'seawiz') can already shoot down small drones. 'Seawiz is an out of sequence
designated acronym of Close in Weapons System.
As early as the late '70s, Phalanx radar software on the Spruance Class destrpyer I was on had to be PREVENTED from acquiring (or filtering out) seagulls as threat targets

The land based version is called C-RAM. Counter Rocket Artillery Mortar

On Monday, two small drones packed with explosives were shot down approaching Baghdad airport. An official speaking for the U.S.-led coalition forces told the Associated Press that a C-RAM defense system shot down the two “suicide drones” as they approached a base which houses U.S. military advisors.

On Tuesday, two more drones carried out an attack on the Ain al-Asad airbase to the west of Baghdad but were shot down before reaching it. It was not revealed how they were stopped, but a leaked video showed a drone being brought down by the same type of C-RAM system used in the Baghdad incident.

https://twitter.com/nafiseh.../1478399617385607178

Phalanx and C-RAM are good, but there are even better close in weapon systems out there.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I wouldn't give too much credit to the author of that article.

https://twitter.com/nafiseh.../1478399617385607178

Phalanx and C-RAM are good, but there are even better close in weapon systems out there.

Good to know, thanks for the response.
So, can one assume the Secret Service and Capitol Police also have similar capability?

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-22-2022).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to make light of your post, but I suspect that counter measures are being worked on, continuously.

Kind of like "open carry" vs concealed. I prefer concealed. Why tip your hand to everybody?
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Not to make light of your post, but I suspect that counter measures are being worked on, continuously.

Kind of like "open carry" vs concealed. I prefer concealed. Why tip your hand to everybody?

Good Point. I sincerely hope so and that was all I was trying to say.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Capitol Police, with C-RAM? Not a friggin chance!
Those Keystone cops do ok killing unarmed women but couldn't even stop Q's representative oracle.

There's a reason that Barney Fife was only given one bullet, which he had to keep in his pocket.

It has long been speculated that even the White House had a Phalanx or C-RAM either incorporated onto it's roofline or on a building nearby.
https://cryptome.org/eyebal...ssile/wh-missile.htm

(I think there was an old thread about it here at PFF several years ago.)

Is it true?
That, is beyond my paygrade. What IS known is that there are an unknown number of anti-missile batteries in close proximity to Washington DC.
https://cryptome.org/eyebal...mx1-anti-missile.htm

(MSN btw, is NOT a very good news source)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-22-2022).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Both open and concealed have their advantages, especially in this area.

Perhaps some of both going on?
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*snickering
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fats:

Both open and concealed have their advantages, especially in this area.

Perhaps some of both going on?

Like in the movies where the cop surrenders his service pistol, but has a backup strapped to his ankle.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...had to be PREVENTED from acquiring (or filtering out) seagulls as threat targets.

LOL, OMG... I can only imagine what that might look like...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't mean to bee the drone that keeps droning on and on about drones but there is wurst news to drone about:

https://www.theguardian.com...ach-sausage-to-drone

“One of the local residents on the beach where we were flying from supplied us with the sausages – I think they were from Aldi. The woman cooked them up for us and we attached them with string.”

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-22-2022).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't mean to bee the drone that keeps droning on and on about drones but there is wurst news to drone about:

“One of the local residents on the beach where we were flying from supplied us with the sausages – I think they were from Aldi. The woman cooked them up for us and we attached them with string.”

Someone had their think'n cap on.

Rams

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have come to despise The Guardian.

An erosion of democratic norms. An escalating climate emergency. Corrosive racial inequality. A crackdown on the right to vote. Rampant pay inequality. America is in the fight of its life. You’ve read 57 articles in the last year, making you one of our top readers globally.

For 10 years, the Guardian US has brought an international lens with a focus on justice to its coverage of America. Globally, more than 1.5 million readers, from 180 countries, have recently taken the step to support the Guardian financially – keeping us open to all, and fiercely independent.

Of 1.5 million readers, me reading 57 articles in 365 days makes me one of their top readers?
What kind of math is that? Everyone else just read 1 or 2 articles?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Of 1.5 million readers, me reading 57 articles in 365 days makes me one of their top readers?
What kind of math is that? Everyone else just read 1 or 2 articles?

Now you know the ONE that I read...and that was only because it was a "redirect" from another website.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock