Started on: 10-04-2021 03:06 PM
Replies: 53 (817 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 10-16-2021 10:14 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the popular social media sites are down, worldwide.

Facebook, WhatsApp, TikTok, https://downdetector.com/

Farcebook is listed for sale...

https://whois.domaintools.com/facebook.com

Sure looks like a try at cutting, or at least severely limiting, communications.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Facebook is indeed down.
If social media is all that goes down, not I huge loss I guess.

Hacking maybe?
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Most of the popular social media sites are down, worldwide.

I would call that a good thing.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In a way, but for a LOT of people the way things have evolved the past 18 months, a huge portion, if not all, of business is via facebook, messenger and marketplace.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In a way, but for a LOT of people the way things have evolved the past 18 months, a huge portion, if not all, of business is via facebook, messenger and marketplace.

That is the point I believe. Get it all up where it can be taken down with a flip of a switch.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any business that depends on Facebook, deserves what they get. There is a sizable demographic who, like myself, will never see their info because we will not join the cult.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never had an account on those sites. No loss, they can stay down permanently and I wouldn't know the difference

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
an hour ago:

Looks like this one is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duhkd0bc4zk

Bunch of reporter folks speculating

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Could be related to this (screenshot) (text):

Related?
https://www.washingtonpost....ces-haugen-revealed/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are all of these services connected in some way, owned by the same people or using the same bank of servers? Just a few days ago, BofA went down for a few hours.

I would not put it past any of our adversaries, foreign or domestic, to be testing the waters.

This is why I am wary of relying too much on technology of any kind.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Any business that depends on Facebook, deserves what they get. There is a sizable demographic who, like myself, will never see their info because we will not join the cult.

I whole heartedly agree. I avoided FB since it's conception but last year was advised by many of my "friends" that if I wanted to get a message out, I needed to join FB. Then MeWe and a couple of other social media sites. I find them all to be full of crap but, they did get my message out so, there is that.

Well, I was responsible to advertise our Mississippi Madness Motorcycle Rally so, I joined.

Talk about a swamp that needs draining.................. Yes, I did get the advertising of Mississippi Madness out there and we had a really good time and actually more attendees than we planned on. I don't go back there much and will probably only do so to advertise next year's event.

Rams
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So... At first they said it was a DNS issue.
But most recently they reported that the employees' badges wouldn't even work. They couldn't even get into the building to begin troubleshooting.
That kind of implies that their entire infrastructure is down. Although it could just be a coincidence.

Some people are saying it's related to the whistleblower report, last night.
Could it be possible that someone inside decided to pull a "Hillary", and wipe everything?
Or maybe somebody from outside just decided to do it for them.

Hey... At least Drudge is still online.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-04-2021).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably Cloudflare or similar type of service. OR Facebook and the rest of Silicon Valley sending a message ahead of that whistleblower's testimony.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

10/4/21

j/k
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how many of the Oculus VR users are loving life today. This is a gaming platform that FB owns, they are now down and can not use the devices they paid for.

Mine is in a box because I wouldn't tie it to my FB account.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its the Wolf!

There have been some nasty outages the past two weeks, Microsoft, VOIP services...

Would love it if this "social media" outtage lasted at least a few days.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The whole "facebook whistleblower" thing puzzles me. The way I understand it, she is claiming that FB is not actively censoring their content. I understand the whole platform-vs-publisher issue, so this is not a comment on that. But there are many, including me, who would be pleased to see an actual free platform. Unless I am misunderstanding, she seems to be blowing the whistle on free speech.

She says Facebook et al are "not safe" because they do not police their content. She blames the profit motive. This story makes me very uneasy. It seems that her point is that free speech is driven by capitalism and is a danger to the public. That sounds less like a whistleblower and more like a government stooge.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-04-2021).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure about the whistleblower thing. I just heard a little bit about it. Not worth my time.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The whole "facebook whistleblower" thing puzzles me. The way I understand it, she is claiming that FB is not actively censoring their content. I understand the whole platform-vs-publisher issue, so this is not a comment on that. But there are many, including me, who would be pleased to see an actual free platform. Unless I am misunderstanding, she seems to be blowing the whistle on free speech.

They censor a lot.
I'm not sure what the whitleblower thing is fully about, havent looked at it. Maybe being able to have content control for kids?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, they ARE actively censoring. I spend more time in FB jail than I do out of it. Hell, I got an entire wing named after me.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She says Facebook et al are "not safe" because they do not police their content. She blames the profit motive. This story makes me very uneasy. It seems that her point is that free speech is driven by capitalism and is a danger to the public. That sounds less like a whistleblower and more like a government stooge.

They sell advertisements, just like the news they will always side with the money.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all know that Facebook is actively censoring. She says that they are "accountable to no one" and should be regulated like the "dangerous" auto and tobacco industries.

What she is whistleblowing is the lack of government control. This cannot end well.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 10-04-2021).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't this mean that it is not a DNS problem?

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19334 posts
Member since Mar 2009
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are all of these services connected in some way, owned by the same people or using the same bank of servers? Just a few days ago, BofA went down for a few hours.

I would not put it past any of our adversaries, foreign or domestic, to be testing the waters.

This is why I am wary of relying too much on technology of any kind.

Our most likely adversaries are employed through DC politics. Never let a crisis go to waste. Creating the crisis is the obvious tactic.

Surely more than a couple of us here suspect shut downs like the energy pipeline and the meat processor were very possibly covert domestic political groups floating trial balloons?

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-04-2021).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gawd help us if Youtube goes down. Many in this country can't form an independent thought or put 2 consecutive cognitive sentences together without some Youtube bubba telling them what to think or do.

I have some extra nitro tablets if anyone in that category thinks they might need them. Might keep ya alive until the paramedics arrive.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where or where will the anti vaxers get their up to date end of times information
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no End Time coming in your life time.
I guarantee you are not important enough, even if one is a Boomer.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-04-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Where or where will the anti vaxers get their up to date end of times information

I was thinking what about all the folks who wont have that facebook bubble that pops up in any post with the word vaccine in it, telling them where to click to find "real" "approved" info.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's one of joebidens displaced workers learning to code.
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are three issues coming out of the whistleblower hearings, but the only one that will receive focus is the one that I addressed above; the perceived need for additional censorship.

The other two, which will be swept under the rug, are the use/misuse by our foreign adversaries and political bias which leads to the use/misuse by our domestic adversaries.

The outcome will be additional government regulation, which seems to be the outcome of everything over the last few decades.

Does your big toe itch? We need the government to take control of your toes, but only the big one. We would NEVER regulate the other four toes. It's for the children. You don't want your children to have to live with itchy toes, do you? What? You don't like children? Don't make us chase you into the stall.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

There is no End Time coming in your life time.
I guarantee you are not important enough, even if one is a Boomer.

Appears the snowflake has a new word he is enthralled with.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

So... At first they said it was a DNS issue.
But most recently they reported that the employees' badges wouldn't even work. They couldn't even get into the building to begin troubleshooting.
That kind of implies that their entire infrastructure is down. Although it could just be a coincidence.

Some people are saying it's related to the whistleblower report, last night.
Could it be possible that someone inside decided to pull a "Hillary", and wipe everything?
Or maybe somebody from outside just decided to do it for them.

Hey... At least Drudge is still online.

I tend to agree with what you're saying. You and I both know that no company that big puts their access card and security network on the internet, that usually goes on an air-gapped grey network with perhaps a one-way data diode feed to the company's internal network. I whole heartedly believe there's a very strong possibility that Facebook had some of their top people come in early-morning, and made significant changes so as to update either algorithms or destroy data. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the timing is very suspect.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22527 posts
Member since Aug 2002

What she is whistleblowing is the lack of government control. This cannot end well.

I agree... with sites like Gap, FreeTalk45, Rumble, and many others that are starting to grow in popularity... I'm concerned that possibly if 230 does get removed, it will have a much more negative impact on THOSE sites, rather than on Facebook. I'm not so sure I necessarily support getting rid of 230 anymore... or, if they do, the FCC should at least correct some things.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I have never had an account on those sites. No loss, they can stay down permanently and I wouldn't know the difference

Exactly. The news interviewed some supposed "expert" and he mentioned how vital Facebook is for communicating and information and what a wake-up call this was. Funny, the last I checked, my phone can call anyone I want and the television has 2000 news channels. Why do I need to contact people via ANY website or post pictures of my family so people can steal the images and set up fake accounts. If I need you, I'll pick up the phone and call you. If I need the news, I'll turn on the TV.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-05-2021).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Exactly. The news interviewed some supposed "expert" and he mentioned how vital Facebook is for communicating and information and what a wake-up call this was. Funny, the last I checked, my phone can call anyone I want and the television has 2000 news channels. Why do I need to contact people via ANY website or post pictures of my family so people can steal the images and set up fake accounts. If I need you, I'll pick up the phone and call you. If I need the news, I'll turn on the TV.

I have literally never used Facebook, WhatsApp, or Instagram to do any communicating with anyone.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2021 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
I have literally never used Facebook, WhatsApp, or Instagram to do any communicating with anyone.

The only 2 real uses I have for it are the buy/sell groups (MUCH handier than Kijiji or Craigslist) and the special-interest groups (Kinda like PFF is for Fiero's just a different platform). The 3d print groups are amazing, dont think I would have gotten through self-teaching without access to those guys.

Political arguments on it.....yeah, but I call that entertainment
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 10-05-2021).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where's Chuck when you need him....there's a lot to be done.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock