Started on: 06-22-2021 01:29 PM
Replies: 18 (450 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 07-14-2021 03:04 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks to be the same old sheetrock. You'd think they would have done something to deal with malware and ransomware... and I'm sure the Windows update experience won't be any better...

Bah.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But, but...they promised! Windows 10 would never leave me.
Is this part of the divorce settlement?

I'm going drinking with these guys.
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Windows 10 has ransomware protection already, you just need to turn it on and set it up.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2021 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remember this? Complete the pattern

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2021 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only 'game' and run a select few Windows only programs on my Windows PC these days. I do nothing business related any longer, I never input my personal information on my Windows PC. I had to strip the massive amounts of bloat/telemetry from Win10 and finally had enough of the hassles.

Went back to a dual machine setup and run MX Linux on my primary machine. It's extremely use friendly, and offers all the 'positives' of Windows without the many downfalls and hidden negative datamining features.

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

This is funny, although I will say after all the BSOD issues on the Win 95 and early Win 98 era of the OS I did end up liking Windows 98SE edition and really made it enjoyable to use a computer back then.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure there is enough of a change to make it "Bad"

So far, it's very much the same experience as 10. It is running smoothly on a touchscreen laptop, IT's similiar to other Windows versions regarding how it handles the drivers, (I was hoping they would have improved that a little...)

Depending on your hardware, every flavor of Windows could have been good or bad. Out of the box, the only one I had issues with was "ME", because they tossed it on some machines that really weren't meant to run it (One was a Sony Thintop touchscreen thingie) it would blue screen every few boots right away, and that was a known (and unresolved) issue with that model. The fix was a reboot. Drivers were also pretty badly done for ME...

The OS is usually ok, but toss in on a network , try to get it to play nice with some older peripherals, or wait a few months and add a new device (or several of the same model)... and add driver issues (video, audio,chipset, network, peripherals,etc) and install apps version and 3rd party "other stuff", which use different versions of the same dll files...

I prefer my machines to be offline, they are more like toasters, just do your job. But I have a lot of older hardware peripherals that won't even run on newer OSes...

I think 11 will be known for /remembered more for the Store integration/android compatibility and what devices it runs on than the OS itself. Would be great if there was some Amdroid phone that could get iPhone users to switch over. The WIndows phoen I wad back in the day worked pretty well with the OS...
sorry if that was ranty/boring...have a nice weekend.

ps - if you want to try out 11, you can look for it at the "pirate ship" website or another torrent site and download a copy and install it on a spare machine.

xoxo

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 06-25-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vista was CPU and Memory hog, but if you had the hardware it ran fine.
My Vista workstation ran for years, games and online were fine.
Never had issues.

My windows 10 workstations on the other hand always choke on windows updates.
Driver issues and BSOD after an update.
USB was and still is a headache. Peripherals not working.
Ever try to remediate an issue without a working keyboard and mouse?

They have been updating and adding content to windows 10 for almost as long as its been out.
Logical progression. Clean up the code and release a hopeful stable base operating system including all of the updates that work and none of the crap that crashes peoples computers.
Expect more pay as you play options. Have to make that money.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I think they fired something like 10,000 employees when they were developing 10 - like all the 7 staff and lots of folks in the update dept.

You KNOW when you have updates pending (or that you need to reboot to install them) because Windows acts like complete garbage.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2021 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:
because Windows acts like complete garbage.

It took 10 hours to update my laptop the last time I turned it on, Its my backup for work incase my main workstation is down.
They don't even warn you when the updates are going on in the back ground.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2021 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Surface 3 laptop running Win 10. I just checked and Win 11 will not support the processor. It's a Microsoft machine for crying out loud, and it's probably only about six years old. I hate Microsoft! The only reason I have a Win machine at all is to run Quicken. Oh, did I mention that I hate Quicken, too?

I have been using Debian on everything for two decades. I upgrade hardware when it fails or when I want a performance upgrade, not because some pea brained geek decides it is obsolete.

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2021 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

It took 10 hours to update my laptop the last time I turned it on, Its my backup for work incase my main workstation is down.
They don't even warn you when the updates are going on in the back ground.

I used to be in charge of all the updates at some of the places I worked at - I used WSUS and other stuff to manage them… until 10 came along… Windows 10’s updates would sometimes knock a person off their “work” machine for half a day (or more) - it was disgusting.

Total lack of any sort of useful progress bars half of the time - just some dumb phrase like “gee willikers, it’s going to take some time to update you’all, hee-hah!”

Six hours later…and a half dozen reboots later… a login screen finally comes up.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2021 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Win11 is minor updates again to Win10 and Win8.x w/ new name.

Win11 "Leak" is Very Likely a PR stunt by MS.
And while some have bypass new "features" to install...

Win11 is going to Force everyone to have Secure Boot & TPM1.2 & 2.0 on top of other system specs.
Plus Win11 Home Will Require MS Account even to setup a machine.
Plus x86/32bit Windows are dead.

Vast majority of users Don't have SB, TPM or Both no matter what Win10 versions used. That's completely ignoring how many Win7 etc are still used.
You often can't buy TPM even when a MoBo has support for it and only very newest MoBo support 2.0.
Even most Dell HP and others for "Business"/"Enterprise" class machine don't have TPM because of cost to the businesses that does nothing for them.
So Buying/Donating used machines will not work w/ Win11 making more E-waste problems.

SB and all Trusted Platform Modules versions are never to protect you.
It's all about full lock down on machines you "own."
While BitLocker uses TPM to shill the TPM to sheeple, BitLocker is the worse way to encrypt a drive.

ETA--> And Apparently Now Scalper etc are buying up the few TPM modules is available.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-27-2021).]

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2021 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

NT was solid. I liked 3.11, 95, and 98. I hated leaving XP and really like windows 7. Vista, ME, 2000, 8 all got garbage. I don't have a lot of love for Win 10. It feels lime everything takes so much more effort.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah XP was my favorite version of Windows so far. Still like the overall style and layout of it.

I refused to upgrade to Win7 until games got too the point that 4gigs maximum of system memory limit with XP just wasn't gonna cut it anymore.

Lots of memories with XP.. Did most of learning of game design and graphics and animation on that OS..

Be nice if Win10 has a option to layout your OS in the style and setup of past versions. I'd probably still be doing the XP style and layout.

I do have a "retro PC" that's running WinXP. Old Duel core with an old GF 7600 Ultra, and 4 gigs of ram. Use it play old games that Win10 doesn't like, or you need to jump through lots of hoops to get working.

[This message has been edited by Jonesy (edited 07-02-2021).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to Windows 11.
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One time a widow tried to nail me in all 11 windows of her blouse.

True story. Driving pizzas. That p0rn crap you were, someone didn't just invent most of it.

Added a 0 for our righteous savior Cliff. Who must know how ISO works better than all us. Combined. In the world.

I mean I'm searching for it on the reg and PFF always shows first.
Edit 7. Coding issues. Records were spinning ing too fast yo!

I legit did have to edit again after my 7th. It's probably because I have a top end international phone and they're just not ready for the Dutch coding. Intentional, wouldn't include them right?

[This message has been edited by ls3mach (edited 07-03-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2021 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2021 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

One time a widow tried to nail me in all 11 windows of her blouse.

True story. Driving pizzas. That p0rn crap you were, someone didn't just invent most of it.

Added a 0 for our righteous savior Cliff. Who must know how ISO works better than all us. Combined. In the world.

I mean I'm searching for it on the reg and PFF always shows first.
Edit 7. Coding issues. Records were spinning ing too fast yo!

I legit did have to edit again after my 7th. It's probably because I have a top end international phone and they're just not ready for the Dutch coding. Intentional, wouldn't include them right?

How drunk were you when you tried to type this?!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2021 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I've seen, it's an OS. Doesn't make me get too excited. if you have multiple screens on a desktop, its the same feel pretty much.

I guess its nicer on a touch screen tablet or such. I used different machines for different tasks, so multiple desktops aren't important to me.

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-15-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock