Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  How to spend your stimulus check............

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to spend your stimulus check............ by blackrams
Started on: 03-28-2021 08:43 AM
Replies: 32 (406 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 03-30-2021 03:58 PM
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drug overdoses an unintended consequence of COVID stimulus payments, experts say

https://news.yahoo.com/drug...covid-132330545.html

Audrey Conklin
Sat, March 27, 2021, 8:23 AM·5 min read
Substance abuse has surged across the U.S. as a result of coronavirus-induced isolation, but there is also a correlation between stimulus payments and overdoses, experts say.

County officials in Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Minnesota and other states have reported recent spikes in fatal and non-fatal overdoses, as well as emergency room visits. The third round of stimulus payments was approved March 17.

"We definitely believe that there’s a correlation between the recent stimulus checks that were sent out and the overdoses we’re seeing right now," Lauren Cummings, executive director of the Northern Shenandoah Valley Substance Abuse Coalition, told Fox News. "We saw an increase in overdoses after the first round of stimulus payouts. We annually see an increase in overdoses following tax returns."

The Northwest Virginia Regional Drug and Gang Task Force on March 23 reported three fatal overdoses and 13 non-fatal overdoses in the prior week.

The stimulus payments, on top of isolation brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, have been a "deadly combination," according to Cummings.

"It’s kind of an irony," Gerry Schmidt, chief operating officer at Valley HealthCare System in West Virginia, which serves as a substance abuse counseling center, told Fox News. "I mean, a stimulus check you shouldn’t put in the bank, if you think about it. Stimulus checks are supposed to help the economy and help people move forward through a tough time."

BOY, 2, DIES AFTER EATING FENTYNAL MOM BOUGHT WITH STIMULUS CHECK, COPS SAY

The northern Virginia region saw 53 fatal overdoses in 2020 and 202 non-fatal overdoses -- a record for the area, despite being one of the few regions in the U.S. that saw a decrease in overdoses between 2017 and 2018.

"We always say that addiction is a disease of isolation, and the opposite of that is connection. Unfortunately, with support group meetings being moved to virtual platforms, people were just not feeling a connection and were forced into isolation, which led many to relapse," Schmidt said.

As the title suggests, an intelligent use of stimulus money.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-28-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2021 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some people bought bitcoin. Some bought Gamestop.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
choices always have consequences.

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For some people it wasn't their choice, but a choice their mother made when they were kids. A couple of generations were medicated as kids because doctor's investments required it, so Oprah had shows promoting it or Dr Phil probably talked about it.

Those kids were made drug dependent. That 'normal for them' is chemical dependency and doesn't stop as adults. I've seen up close one kid who would go from frantic, uncontrolled to knocked out asleep in 15 minutes of taking some drug his dad gave him.

Frickin millenials wee all doped. Some still are.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new....gripe water in the 50-60-70's. That sheet was basically watered-down vodka with a bit of Sambuca in it !!!!

A lot of us spent our entire infancy hammered !!

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 03-28-2021).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

choices always have consequences.

Yes they do, but this isn't something new.
Give anyone a windfall that has been beaten up for the last year and they are going to look for some quick happiness.
Why do you think most places pay on friday afternoon. It gives them 2 days to get over it and come back to work.

At this point its just a numbers game, the government has no clue and instead of putting people back to work lets just buy them off.
The number of lives this will turn around is tiny.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity....has anyone checked the inventory to big screen TV's at Wal-Mart lately? I know last year TV's aroudn here were cleaned out after the checks were issued.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hank is Here:

Out of curiosity....has anyone checked the inventory to big screen TV's at Wal-Mart lately? I know last year TV's aroudn here were cleaned out after the checks were issued.

Nope, haven't done that. But, I have been shopping for a 45/70 Henry. Seems just about anything that goes bang is hard to find since the last election.

Rams
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:Seems just about anything that goes bang is hard to find since the last election.

Actually, since the COVID scare started... late March / early April of last year.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Actually, since the COVID scare started... late March / early April of last year.

That may be correct, I'm not sure. What I am sure about is my local gun store is overwhelmed with business and can't keep some weapons and most ammo in stock.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 03-29-2021).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:
What I am sure about is my local gun store is overwhelmed with business and can't keep some weapons and most ammo in stock.

Cut out the middle man. Henry is running many commercials on TV / radio and are giving away free catalogs. I assume you can order online.

I wish I had a Henry.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Cut out the middle man. Henry is running many commercials on TV / radio and are giving away free catalogs. I assume you can order online.

I wish I had a Henry.

That may or may not be possible. Will look into that. But, the reason I go to that store is to actually look at and get the feel of the banger. Can't do that on line.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I go to pawn shops every day they're open. The shop with the most, BY FAR, handguns and long guns is in the worst part of town. Our shops all belong to a company out of Texas that owns thousands of them. There are about 8 in town they own, including the one where I found the stolen Les Paul.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

I go to pawn shops every day they're open. The shop with the most, BY FAR, handguns and long guns is in the worst part of town. Our shops all belong to a company out of Texas that owns thousands of them. There are about 8 in town they own, including the one where I found the stolen Les Paul.

What caliper is a Les Paul? Range? Can ya reach out and touch someone?

Rams

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nope, haven't done that. But, I have been shopping for a 45/70 Henry. Seems just about anything that goes bang is hard to find since the last election.

Rams

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

You're just try'n to make me jealous................

It's working.

Rams
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the looks and feel of a lever action in my hands and in the cabinet, but not the actual performance.
One of the most difficult actions when trying to get off multiple shots quickly.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the looks and feel of a lever action in my hands and in the cabinet, but not the actual performance.
One of the most difficult actions when trying to get off multiple shots quickly.

I am not sure. Was the Winchester the first lever action repeater ? The year first produced ?

Seems If I recall correctly from past "research" I read that it caught on because the Gooberment of the mid 1800's selected Winchester over Colt Arms. I have an 18 ? 70, 1870 Colt rifle. 40 caliber. It is a pump action, like a shotgun.

I have never seen a lever action shot gun.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I have never seen a lever action shot gun.

Have you ever seen the second Terminator movie?

You're just try'n to make me jealous................

It's working.

Rams

Got it almost exactly 2 years ago from Cabelas. It was $700-800 then. Probabaly only have 5 rounds through it. I want to buy a .22lr one, but I am not gun or ammo shopping in todays market.

I would think it would be better than a bolt action?

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 03-29-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would think it would be better than a bolt action?

That hasn't been my experience shooting hogs and coyotes.
I preferred my bolt action .270 Weatherby over my brother's model 1886 45/70 lever action. (I believe his was made in mid 1890s)
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That hasn't been my experience shooting hogs and coyotes.
I preferred my bolt action .270 Weatherby over my brother's model 1886 45/70 lever action. (I believe his was made in mid 1890s)

My experience says that with either weapon, the shooter must change shooting position to reload but that movement is greater with the lever action version.
I don't find either one to be superior in accuracy or range (as long as we're talking the same caliper weapon, load and round), I just like the looks and feel of the lever action more. To each their own.

Rams

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are we talking standing and firing or from some kind of rest?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Are we talking standing and firing or from some kind of rest?

If that question was addressed to me, I no longer try to play Buffalo Bill, all my shooting is done either prone or with a rest.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-29-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rams

Think it's a .38 Special.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rams

A Les Paul has a 24.75" (standard Gibson) scale length and a range from 82hz to 1175hz (22 frets in standard tuning).
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

A Les Paul has a 24.75" (standard Gibson) scale length and a range from 82hz to 1175hz (22 frets in standard tuning).

Based on our past conversations, I feel quite certain that you are fully aware I don't know squat about musical instruments. But, I appreciate the attempt to educate me.

Rams
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Based on our past conversations, I feel quite certain that you are fully aware I don't know squat about musical instruments. But, I appreciate the attempt to educate me.

Rams

Just playing around.

Guitar scale length is as hotly debated as is preferred caliber. A Gibson is usually about 3/4" shorter than a Fender and as such has a different feel, and the harmonic characteristics are the subject of endless, mostly speculative discussion.

Lester Polsfuss was an avid and prolific inventor as well as a great guitarist. As such he was instrumental ( ) in the mid-century advances of the recording industry and the electric guitar.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-29-2021).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Just playing around.

Guitar scale length is as hotly debated as is preferred caliber. A Gibson is usually about 3/4" shorter than a Fender and as such has a different feel, and the harmonic characteristics are the subject of endless, mostly speculative discussion.

Oh! Well yeah, I can relate to that about as much as I do to deep sea fishing.

Just pull'n yer chain, don't know squat about that kind of thing.

Rams
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Watch out when they start talking about tone. It's some mythical thing that nobody has ever witnessed being found. But they seek it like it's the Lost Duchman Mine.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Watch out when they start talking about tone. It's some mythical thing that nobody has ever witnessed being found. But they seek it like it's the Lost Duchman Mine.

Tone? What's that?

My past activities ruined any chance of hearing a tone.

Rams

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neither guitar tone, nor Jacob Waltz' mine* are the mystery that many would have you believe.

Just like listening to "enthusiasts" discuss a high performance internal combustion engine or leftists discussing politics, most rely on myth and hearsay rather than make an effort to understand the subject.

*(on the latter, I am sworn to secrecy)
PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tomes have been written about tones, which were previously taught to all young schoolchildren with something called a tonette, which parents were obligated to buy when blowing across the top of a coke bottle would have worked just as good. They probably cost about a nickel to make back in the day. I still remember the way the bakelite kinda tasted..
Otherwise, all I remember about them was that all holes covered = a low C.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tomes have been written about tones, which were previously taught to all young schoolchildren with something called a tonette, which parents were obligated to buy when blowing across the top of a coke bottle would have worked just as good. They probably cost about a nickel to make back in the day. I still remember the way the bakelite kinda tasted..
Otherwise, all I remember about them was that all holes covered = a low C.

That reminds me of my report cards in high school.

Rams

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock