Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  My most controversial post... may be about Star Trek? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My most controversial post... may be about Star Trek? by 2.5
Started on: 03-08-2021 10:08 PM
Replies: 42 (718 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 03-16-2021 09:12 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha! Only because it seems alot of folks are into it. (But are they really only into the original series and a few movies?)

Flipping channels, came across Star Trek next Generation...I finally realized what I think the reason is that it couldn't hold my attention, or I wasn't ever hooked all that much by it.

Its like they took some interesting concepts and sci fi scenarios, and added in a huge injection of soap opera. Soap operas being a bit repellant. The Star Treks to follow seemed to suffee from the same affliction though I have seen even less of them than I did of Next Generation.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Ha! Only because it seems alot of folks are into it. (But are they really only into the original series and a few movies?)

Flipping channels, came across Star Trek next Generation...I finally realized what I think the reason is that it couldn't hold my attention, or I wasn't ever hooked all that much by it.

Its like they took some interesting concepts and sci fi scenarios, and added in a huge injection of soap opera. Soap operas being a bit repellant. The Star Treks to follow seemed to suffee from the same affliction though I have seen even less of them than I did of Next Generation.

It's all about imagination and hoping there is something else out there.
Or, maybe praying there isn't............

Rams
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like most shows, Star Trek has good episodes and bad episodes. The first two seasons of TNG and later are frequently pretty bad, as the writers figure out the characters and story lines. They tend to get better later on in the show's life.

Best example is 'Enterprise' the first episodes were hot garbage. But season 3 and 4 were mostly great.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 words.
Wesley Crusher

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never watched it. Or Star Wars...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I have never watched it. Or Star Wars...

Not in to sci fi at all? I saw Star Wars when I was young, so the new ones were like a return to childhood feel.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not in to sci fi at all? I saw Star Wars when I was young, so the new ones were like a return to childhood feel.

The very first movie I saw in the theater was Star Wars, I was 12 and sat in the front row.
The first 3 were great, couldn't wait to go back to the theater and watch them.

The next three I saw at home, then the newer ones came out and I saw the first one in the theater and enjoyed it.
But then it got old quick. I enjoyed the effects but the story just sucked.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 words..Deanna Troi
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

2 words..Deanna Troi

YES!
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 words 7 of 9
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually liked Dr. Crusher (Gates McFadden)...

By far the best Next Gen episode was "Yesterday's Enterprise"........Also, 2nd best was "Sins of the Father" and then 3rd is "A Mater of Honor"...

The thing I liked about the original Star Trek series was that it could have a completely ridiculously funny episode, and a very sad ending to some episodes. STTNG always seemed to end with Picard asking "Is everyone happy? " then "Engage"....

I was dragged to watch Star Wars by my 4 year older GF (Who looked dead-on like Susan Anton (Sanyo commercial) (I haven't a clue what she saw in me) but was hooked by the beginning with the star cruiser passing overhead. A year before I had drawn a ship very similar.......

I can NOT watch Star Wars now at all.......

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-09-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 words..Deanna Troi

Originally posted by cvxjet:
I actually liked Dr. Crusher (Gates McFadden)...

Why not both?

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"The Inner Light" was a damn good episode. You don't need to know much about the show, but its worth the watch.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

"The Inner Light" was a damn good episode. You don't need to know much about the show, but its worth the watch.

That was a good episode.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My favorite. I still remember Picard playing that flute at the end.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'A British tar is a soaring soul, as free as a mountain bird.'
'His energetic fist should be ready to resist a dictatorial word.'
His nose should pant'
and his lip should curl.
'His cheeks should flame'
'and his brow should furl
His bosom should heave'
'and his heart should glow.'
'and his fist be ever ready'
'for a knock-down blow.'

Sing, Worf, sing!
(prepare the docking clamps)

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-10-2021).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am NOT a “Merry” man!
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am NOT a “Merry” man!

I had forgotten all about that.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had forgotten about "The Inner Light" Absolutely terrific episode.

My Stepmother did not see any reason for Science Fiction...But the Star Trek episode "The Enemy Within" where Kirk is split into Good and Bad versions is a very good examination of how we are made up and how there is Good and Bad in all of us- and both parts are needed. There are other ways of addressing this issue but I think this episode did a very good job of it.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't watched any STTNG episodes for many years, but I did download and watch a single episode just two weeks ago: "The Inner Light". Somehow this episode touches me tremendously. It reminds me of periods in my own life that feel like an entire lifetime, but in fact only lasted a few years and now are nothing more than a memory.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I haven't watched any STTNG episodes for many years, but I did download and watch a single episode just two weeks ago: "The Inner Light". Somehow this episode touches me tremendously. It reminds me of periods in my own life that feel like an entire lifetime, but in fact only lasted a few years and now are nothing more than a memory.

I'll have to seek out the episode.
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sci Fi is such a big genre that I can't say I am against it all. Just never got into the star wars/ trek stuff.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am working on a list of Sci-Fi Movies that are well done (Up to 14 so far)......I would like to post it here but possibly in a separate thread....

(I have somewhat different taste than mainstream......And I am an enthusiast of quality "Hard-core" Sci-Fi...(No not x-rated....."Hard-core" refers to the book or movie adhering to known science but then extending it a bit- "The Martian" is a good example; The story is completely plausible- just basically hasn't happened yet)
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The final episode of The Next Generation was also really good, IMO. The story was pretty cool (especially back then) and they did a great job of having the characters say things to each other/ “have their moments”. Also liked that (spoiler alert!) the whole series was their trial”

There was a Borg game which was REALLY good (if you like “Q”) gameplay and video quality was limited and a bit buggy, but Q is just SO good in it... it’s sorta like a “choose your own adventure” with different paths.

There are a few videos of it online, I believe this one has all the “wrong choices” in it and does so in a way that it’s still enjoyable to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GvEDBHAld8

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Star Trek can be tough to explain to those who don't watch or care to watch it and wonder what the appeal is.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 03-11-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I am working on a list of Sci-Fi Movies that are well done (Up to 14 so far)......I would like to post it here but possibly in a separate thread....

(I have somewhat different taste than mainstream......And I am an enthusiast of quality "Hard-core" Sci-Fi...(No not x-rated....."Hard-core" refers to the book or movie adhering to known science but then extending it a bit- "The Martian" is a good example; The story is completely plausible- just basically hasn't happened yet)

Go ahead if youd like to post here, no prob.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Wichita:

Star Trek can be tough to explain to those who don't watch or care to watch it and wonder what the appeal is.

I get the appeal of the appealing parts.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wichita.....That is exactly why I wasn't allowed to watch Star Trek when I was 7-9 years old; My Mom saw some of the "Costumes" that women were wearing and said it wasn't something a young boy should watch. I suspect the one that put it over the top was Sherry Jackson's in "What are little girls made of?"

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-11-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cvxjet

3644 posts
Member since May 2010
This is not a completed list- and some of these movies may not be appreciated.....But they are very good (To me); Some are old, some are new, some are dramas and some are comedies. Give them a try.....I will continue to work on the list....

1) The Day the Earth stood still (1951)

2) Forbidden Planet (1956)

Very obviously the basis for Star Trek (Federal ship on patrol- main characters Captain/2nd/Ship's Doctor) The ship (Cruiser C57D) was obviously the basis for the Jupiter II from Lost in Space TV show (65-68) Also, the basic story is taken from Shakespeare's "The Tempest"- And a large portion of story lines in Star Trek are taken from Shakespeare.

3) 20,000 Leagues under the Sea (1954)

4) Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)

Ignore the obvious "No hollow Earth" fact- Best Jules Verne adaption (And Gertrude steals the show)

5) The Martian (2015)

Excellent movie from excellent book (Author's first book)

6) Fantastic Voyage (1966)

Great special effects

7) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

I have had a number of friends and GFs tell me this is the scariest movie they have ever seen.

8) Innerspace (1987) (Odd comedy take on "Fantastic Voyage" concept)

9) King Kong (1933 and 2005*)

The original was way ahead of it's time. The 2005 version is spectacular but most action scenes are 2-3 times as long as they should be. Naomi Watts steals the show!

10) War of the Worlds (1953)

Modernized (For 1953) telling of the HG Wells classic

11) When Worlds Collide (1951)

Spectacular- the only down side is the end scene when they ran out of money.

12) Galaxy Quest (1999) (Comedy (Star Trek Send-up)

13) Tremors 1-4 (1990-2004)

1st is almost perfect, 2nd is OK, the 3rd is a return to the town in the 1st with all of the characters...Last is set in old west- roots of the town and characters. I actually really like the Burt Gummer (Survivalist) actor Michael Gross, who also played Michael J. Fox father in Family ties- as a HIPPY!

14) Valley of Gwangi (1969) (Dinosaur western- With James Franciscus and Gila Golan)

15) The Rocketeer (1991) Only Super hero movie that is good Sci Fi.....very underrated- great old aircraft scenes (GEE BEE!!!)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-11-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

13) Tremors 1-4 (1990-2004)

The 'attack pack'.

I have it.
Fred Ward (played Earl Bassett) imo, is a better actor in this series than Michael Gross.

And the classic Plan 9 From Outer Space

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 03-11-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would agree- But the reason I like Michael Gross so much is the absolute extreme opposites of his two main characterizations.......Hippy vs Survivalist.......I have heard that he went to the Tremors audition and seeing him they said There is no way......So he jumped up on the desk and went into a tirade about survival and literally blew their minds.....

And I have the Attack pack plus the 13 episode TV Series which was excellent...But since I liked it, they HAD to pull it......(All the cars I have owned have been cancelled within a year or two of me buying them, all the places I worked shut down (Atari, Fabtech, Navy boot-camp San Diego, NATTC Millington, USS Coral Sea, NAS Alameda)

Whenever I buy something I like at the store, now, I hold it up and say "Geez, I HATE this" so they won't stop production......

A shirt design I came up with.....

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ Would be a great picture if the kid was omitted. Looks like a supercharged C2 back there
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget (Harry) Mudd's Women
(and a few others)

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeoman Rand.....Grace Lee Whitney was supposed to be a bigger character than Uhura, but they decided that Kirk should have a different "love" interest in every episode so she got the boot.......She went through some really hard times but was finally given a chance to do Janice Rand again in the Star Trek movies.

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
William Shatner will be 90 years old on March 22nd.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Don't forget (Harry) Mudd's Women
(and a few others)

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Harry Mudd was one of my favorite episodes. Hilarious!

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-13-2021).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

William Shatner will be 90 years old on March 22nd.

again?

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Harcourt Fenton Mudd! Have you been drinking?" "Five HUNDRED? Kirk, you can't do this! It's inhuman!"

"I, Mudd" was a great episode...I still think they should have had Roger C. Carmel in one of the movies. The other really funny episode was the gangster one "A Piece of the Action" especially the "Fizzbin" card game......

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-13-2021).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 words..Deanna Troi

Yeah Troi was a cutie.. But she can't beat 7 of 9..

Or my personal favorite. Topal from Enterprise.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock