Like Metal? Music that is. by 2.5
Started on: 12-11-2020 02:28 PM
Replies: 47 (687 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-16-2022 03:17 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One great thing about Youtube is for alot of stuff someone has taken the time to remove the singer, or recreate it without the singer / lyrics.

(1st song might be least fave)

Need help motivating in the morning? Try this
What do you like?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-11-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone on this forum got me listening to Metallica, they are good. And I like Band Maid and Primus.

And then there is Robert Randolph. Believe it or not he learned this in church, a very interesting story with some obscure history. It is worth looking it up.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-11-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:

Someone on this forum got me listening to Metallica, they are good. And I like Band Maid and Primus.

And then there is Robert Randolph. Believe it or not he learned this in church, a very interesting story with some obscure history. It is worth looking it up.

War Pigs, not at all one of Black Sabbath's best songs (in my opinion) but I love the talent and artistic interpretation of the song.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2020 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Robert Randolph is a unique and talented musician who deserves more exposure, and I find the "Sacred Steel" tradition fascinating.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not long ago I went to see Mac Sabbath. Yeah, that's a real band.

Scored a disc folio today at the junkyard with probably 12-15 Rush discs, but it has Dio, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and Metallica in it as well.
Other stuff here is sorta metal. Helmet, Tool, some of the more commercial Anthrax like Sound of White Noise. Queensryche count?

Went to see Clutch a while back. They aren't really metal but there were metal bands supporting/opening. I don't really miss the scene, but at the same time Clutch was freaking flawless.
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-11-2020 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sourmash

4558 posts
Member since Jul 2016

Then there's Ozzy's biographical video of Jimmy Swaggart after Swaggart was going after Ozzy as being Satan's Little Helper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j34juXrJWqw

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 12-11-2020).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Metal has so many sub genres. I like Killswitch engaged and a bunch of metal.

Some symphonic metal

Progressive metal

Symphonic Black metal

Power metal/gothic rock

Glam rock / gothic rock

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm really into Feed Her to the Sharks right now. Shame they broke up.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also like alternate versions of Metal tunes.

Alt version

of this

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Though I don't care for the growl style, (thus the instrumental).

These lyrics sure fit today.

Yeah
Born into this world of hatred
We are born free
From the restraints of this society,
Helpless to what is instilled
(Yeah)
To all those who raise us, mold us, and shape us
There is a time to separate,
From this
A reason why, a state of mind,
There's a disconnection
A judgement made
Fueled by hate, it's your mistake,
It's a choice you made
It's tearing us apart
Hate,
Hate by design,
Is destroying our lives
Seek to find,
Some understanding
Redefine your life
Consequence, effected
In a life that is rejected,
Anger misplaced
A burden on our hearts,
That's keeping us apart,
No love,
No understanding
What we design is hate inside,
A misconception,
A judgement made
(A judgement made)
It's our mistake,
We create,
When we lose compassion,
It's tearing us apart
Hate,
Hate by design,
(Hate by design)
Is destroying our lives
Seek to find
(We'll seek to find)
Some understanding,
Redefine your life
Redefine your understanding
Redefine your own life
Go!
Hate,
Hate by design,
(By design)
Is destroying our lives,
(Our lives)
Seek to find,
Some understanding
Redefine your life

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also appreciate some metal covers of pop songs
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In honor of our new Chinese overlords.*

This one is interesting:

This one is hilarious, you have to watch to the end:

Funkin' Chinese.

*You gotta have a sense of humor.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

williegoat

19407 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Meanwhile in Mongolia....

Midwest Fiero Clubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Midwest Fiero ClubsClick Here to visit Midwest Fiero Clubs's HomePageSend a Private Message to Midwest Fiero ClubsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In honor of our new Chinese overlords.*

This one is interesting:

*You gotta have a sense of humor.

Not a bad effort.
Wonder if they drive Fieros while rocking out to AC/DC in China!

[This message has been edited by Midwest Fiero Clubs (edited 12-15-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a big "modern" metal fan.....I like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, etc...

I would like to suggest two songs- and have you hear them without seeing the artist because I doubt you would believe it was them- But I haven't the 'puter skills to pull it off so.....

Listen to "Modern Times Rock & Roll" and "Loser in the End" both written and sung by Roger Taylor....drummer for "Q"

By the way, that Robert Randolph slide guitar stuff is really good!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 12-15-2020).]

sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-15-2020 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, etc...

Then you'll love this version. I know I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1A9rYIVHyM

Some of my listening catalogue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

An old Joe Jackson song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdihqgNEwFY
https://www.youtube.com/wat...FLHo493kSNdo&index=4
Some old prog metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRe7MTZ_Ucg

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 12-15-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Then you'll love this version. I know I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1A9rYIVHyM

That is tripped out! I like when different cultures embrace......different cultures....One of my favorite westerns is an Italian one; "My Name is Nobody" (Terrence Hill (Italian) and Henry Fonda)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2020 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This one is hilarious, you have to watch to the end:

][/i]

I like 'em, and the Mongols too

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This album in instrumental gets better each time I listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldavMBTKnLI

If you are a Black Sabbath Fan, or even Metallica's Black Album, you can try setting the youtube play speed lower, say half speed, or even 1/4.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-17-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Send an old fogey to school. I stopped listening to the radio around the time AC/DC and Black Sabbath got started.

Who started heavy metal? Who was "proto metal" (the progenitors)? What defines it? Limits it?

I tend to think of two note "power chords", phrygian leads and decidedly non-melodic vocals.

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 12-17-2020).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't watch that video- it is just.......Arrrggggggg!! (I actually like something that Pat Boone did- He was in my favorite Jules Verne movie; Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) Although 20,000 Leagues (1954) was a better Film, Journey-1959 captured the sense of "What's around the next corner" that was always in Verne's writing. Plus Gertrude the Duck!

I have always thought that the first heavy metal song was the Beatles "Helter Skelter".....

And the "Heaviest" song I have ever heard is Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs"....Although some may consider it's tempo to slow....(He must have used guitar strings made of Osmium(Heaviest metal known)
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Send an old fogey to school. I stopped listening to the radio around the time AC/DC and Black Sabbath got started.

Who started heavy metal? Who was "proto metal" (the progenitors)? What defines it? Limits it?

I tend to think of two note "power chords", phrygian leads and decidedly non-melodic vocals.

*Puts on his professor hat*

In the late 60s early 70s Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple came in with a heavier rock sound that would be known as the beginnings of metal. In the mid 70s things started getting muddied with things like punk, funk, and soul. So in 75 Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple split off because the band was heading in a different direction. Blackmore met Ronnie Dio and formed Rainbow. During this time Judas Priest, Motörhead, and Iron Maiden also came in and elevated the genre. If you look at Dio and Deep purple and Sabbath and all of their band members you will see some overlap. By the 80s these original bands had all dissolved for one reason or another. But at this point they have maid their impacts and inspired a younger generation who grew up and became musicians. In the 80s we got a huge slew of sub genres. This coupled with the Grunge scene really started to muddy the waters of "METAL" We had some poppy glam metal artists and some shock rock artists that people claimed to be metal from their look. Glam metal was the dominant "Metal" in the 80s however IMHO most of this would just be considered Rock by today's standards. Poison, Bon Jovi, and Cinderella are just a few examples. However we had hero's for "Heavy Metal" such as Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, W.A.S.P., White Zombie, King Diamond and Candlemass. By the late 80s early 90s heavy metal was going strong with several sub genres.

BONUS FUN FACT

Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath worked in a steel mill. It was his last day of work before him and his band Black Sabbath were to go from the UK to the US. He ended up lopping off his finger tips. Iommi made his own prosthetic fingertips but had to de tune his guitar to lower the tension on the strings to reduce pain on his fingers. Geezer Butler the bassist of Sabbath did the same to match Iommi and it caused the band to have a much heavier sound. Before this they were a Blues Band. Without this accident Metal would not be what it is today.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

skywurz

1030 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I can't watch that video- it is just.......Arrrggggggg!! (I actually like something that Pat Boone did- He was in my favorite Jules Verne movie; Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) Although 20,000 Leagues (1954) was a better Film, Journey-1959 captured the sense of "What's around the next corner" that was always in Verne's writing. Plus Gertrude the Duck!

I have always thought that the first heavy metal song was the Beatles "Helter Skelter".....

And the "Heaviest" song I have ever heard is Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs"....Although some may consider it's tempo to slow....(He must have used guitar strings made of Osmium(Heaviest metal known)

If you liked "Bridge of Sighs" there are modern bands doing that. Its Acid Rock/Doom Metal. Doom metal can be distinguished from its slow tempo, cords always being played downward. It is intended to give the listener the feeling of dread or impending doom

ENJOY!

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 12-17-2020).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything TSO is great!
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2020 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Embedding all these videos kills threads. My laptop takes several minutes to load the page and some of the links never load.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably not strictly "metal" by today's standards, but Leslie West passed on Tuesday at the age of 75.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Embedding all these videos kills threads. My laptop takes several minutes to load the page and some of the links never load.

Ya kind of a bummer.
They should eventually load
Could open in a tab and then do other stuff till it loads.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like all kinds of music. But it has to meet that criteria, if its just noise then no I wont like it.

Black Sabbath would have been my go to and AC/DC but some would say they are not really metal.
I know this drummer that if his head isn't ringing by the second note its not metal. Just too much noise for me and I never hear the second note.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is really weird- I have a beat up old laptop and have no abilities as far as programming- and use ATT dial-up...And yet I have no trouble with loading this thread (Don't ask me about all the other troubles I have....)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Anything TSO is great!

Agreed

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-24-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2021 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Anything TSO is great!

Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Balay.
I love Savatage.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Balay.
I love Savatage.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-11-2021).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had heard snippets of this track all over. Took me a long time to figure out who it was.

At first I thought it was this one. (Someone ought to try a mashup of the two.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-11-2021).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I had heard snippets of this track all over. Took me a long time to figure out who it was.

PMJ did an interesting cover of that song:

I am a big fan of PMJ, and Pomplamoose (Nataly is beautiful).

[This message has been edited by williegoat (edited 03-11-2021).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a sucker for ballads too

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2022 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Solo at the 2 min mark
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2022 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That song is all about drums, to me. To me, again, there's nothing in the guitar and bass that you can't hear in a billion other songs.

You can go out to a local bar any week in a majority of cities and hear the same guitar and bass, but you won't hear drums played like that very often.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 02-11-2022).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock