Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Tony Stewart hits/kills fellow Sprint car driver (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Tony Stewart hits/kills fellow Sprint car driver by Monkeyman
Started on: 08-10-2014 04:51 AM
Replies: 144 (2651 views)
Last post by: spark1 on 08-17-2014 05:11 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What Roger seems to forget is that in a civil court, it isn't about proving guilt of the crime, it is about proving responsibility and with Stewart having as much money as he does, I see a civil lawsuit (or settlement - out of court). Just how it works, as the lawyers are lining up. I would sue... why not? Because it wouldn't be right? That is up to the court to decide, so why not take a chance.

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

WTF! Comparing apple to rocks now?

Silly me, I forgot I was dealing with a bunch of lawyers on Pennock's. Guess I'll just let this play out, and when Stewart gets charged or has a settlement against him, I'll be back to see where everyone got their degrees.

Kevin

IP: Logged
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

you yourself have already stated that Stewart WILL have charges brought against him and WILL have a settlement issued against him.

Might need you to point that out for me.

Kevin
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So much for the dark track/dark fire suit/dark helmet defense..

http://www.nydailynews.com/...sh-article-1.1900545
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

What Roger seems to forget is that in a civil court, it isn't about proving guilt of the crime, it is about proving responsibility and with Stewart having as much money as he does, I see a civil lawsuit (or settlement - out of court). Just how it works, as the lawyers are lining up. I would sue... why not? Because it wouldn't be right? That is up to the court to decide, so why not take a chance.

Hey You get it! This is why I say he will not get away scott free.

Kevin
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

"He will pay, I don't give a rats ass what the tickets say on the back."

well its in black and white, and its legal. Unless the police find any reason they can charge him with anything, nothing will happen at all. What I see is Tony paying funeral costs to help the family on his own. He may even give them more. Nothing changes the fact that the idiot walked out on a working racetrack. Yesterday the owner of the local racetrack and a sprint car driver himself said that the rule book says drivers are to remain in their cars unless in danger , and if then remain close to their car.

2014 World of Outlaws STP Sprint Car Series Rulebook

(page 27, paragraph 11.1 participant conduct)

" L.) Any member that goes into another competitors pit area or to ' another competitors
car ' and becomes involved in any type of altercation will be subject to
disqualification and/or fine and/or suspension and/or loss of points and/or any
other action deemed appropriate by World of Outlaws Officials and/or World Racing
Group Supervisory Officials.
Maximum = $5,000.
M.) Any member involved in an altercation that results in physical contact will
be subject to disqualification and/or fine and/or suspension and/or loss of points
and/or any other action deemed appropriate by World of Outlaws Officials and/or
World Racing Group Supervisory Officials.
Maximum = $5,000.
O.) Any team member who goes out onto the racing surface without permission
under a controlled period will be subject to disqualification and/or fine and/or
suspension and/or loss of points and/or any other action deemed appropriate by
World of Outlaws Officials and/or World Racing Group Supervisory Officials.
Maximum = $500. "

Ward (team member) being the instigator can be fined, and team lose points. So theres your rules.

No where did I read that you are to remain in the vehicle after an accident.

People are saying there is a track rule, but its not posted and nobody seems to follow it.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I would sue... why not? Because it wouldn't be right? That is up to the court to decide, so why not take a chance.

That does seem to be the prevailing mindset today. Whatever happens, play the lawsuit lottery and see if you can get PAID!
At least in this case there's a real loss to sue about.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

No where did I read that you are to remain in the vehicle after an accident.

People are saying there is a track rule, but its not posted and nobody seems to follow it.

Honestly, I don't follow racing that much and don't know the rules but, I do know this, regardless of what anyone else does, it's pretty frigg'n stupid to be walking around on a race track while the race is under way. I'm not a Stewart fan either. If you're gonna step out in traffic, don't be surprised when ya get your butt run into or over. Could Steward have avoided this kid, I don't know. What this kid did was kind of like playing Russian Roulette IMHO. He lost.

It's a real shame, a wasted life but, you can't fix stupid and what that kid did was just plain stupid. Darwin rules of survival apply.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, ill go step by step in kindergardenese so you know what it says....

By using the ticket to get in the gate, you assume all risks for any incident at the event, before, during or after the event. All people involved in the event from particpants, to sponsors, santioning bodies, employees of those, all officers and officials of those, and all employees and officers of the track involved, are not liable for ANY claims at the event. Yes this is a spectator ticket. Now...everyone in the pits, garage....including team members, families, employers, concession stands, HAS to SIGN their names to a similar statement before they can enter the pits/ garage. I raced. I had to sign, and my crew members...including the Hooter girls I took, HAD to sign it every week at each event or they simply couldnt get their pass to get in. Ok, its recess time.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Honestly, I don't follow racing that much and don't know the rules but, I do know this, regardless of what anyone else does, it's pretty frigg'n stupid to be walking around on a race track while the race is under way. I'm not a Stewart fan either. If you're gonna step out in traffic, don't be surprised when ya get your butt run into or over. Could Steward have avoided this kid, I don't know. What this kid did was kind of like playing Russian Roulette IMHO. He lost.

It's a real shame, a wasted life but, you can't fix stupid and what that kid did was just plain stupid. Darwin rules of survival apply.

There are stupid and dangerous activities people do all the time. It's stupid to drive around an oval track at 200mph with 30 cars all butts and elbows together. Darwin took Dale's life too.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wichita

20656 posts
Member since Jun 2002

By using the ticket to get in the gate, you assume all risks for any incident at the event, before, during or after the event. All people involved in the event from particpants, to sponsors, santioning bodies, employees of those, all officers and officials of those, and all employees and officers of the track involved, are not liable for ANY claims at the event. Yes this is a spectator ticket. Now...everyone in the pits, garage....including team members, families, employers, concession stands, HAS to SIGN their names to a similar statement before they can enter the pits/ garage. I raced. I had to sign, and my crew members...including the Hooter girls I took, HAD to sign it every week at each event or they simply couldnt get their pass to get in. Ok, its recess time.

That is for limited liability purposes. There is no legal protection nor waiver for gross negligence or intentional neglect.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is for limited liability purposes. There is no legal protection nor waiver for gross negligence or intentional neglect.

Stewart could sue Ward's estate for emotional trauma. Getting out of his car and walking INTO traffic has to count as intentional negligence. It's also why Stewart won't lose a civil suit. It's debatable if Stewart acted negligently, but there's no question about Ward's getting out of his car and walking towards the oncoming cars.
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"when Stewart gets charged or has a settlement against him, I'll be back to see where everyone got their degrees."

Kevin

Sounds like you're pretty certain it will happen as much as I'm uncertain of what, if anything, will.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Stewart could sue Ward's estate for emotional trauma. Getting out of his car and walking INTO traffic has to count as intentional negligence. It's also why Stewart won't lose a civil suit. It's debatable if Stewart acted negligently, but there's no question about Ward's getting out of his car and walking towards the oncoming cars.

Since Ward is dead, it would be difficult to say that. He could have very well be trying to get off the track for his own safety. Pedestrians always have the right-of-way.

Other drivers saw him and avoided him. Stewart did not.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since Ward is dead, it would be difficult to say that. He could have very well be trying to get off the track for his own safety. Pedestrians always have the right-of-way.

Other drivers saw him and avoided him. Stewart did not.

It's a race track, not a residential street. Traffic laws are not in play. You may not know what was going through Ward's mind (or Stewart's), but you know Ward exited his vehicle and walked towards the traffic line.

Others avoided Ward, but Ward was continuing to walk into the line of traffic, meaning each successive car would have to go farther to the inside to avoid him.
At the very least, that shows negligence on his part, and that's likely all a jury would have to see to acquit Stewart of wrongdoing.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
** Disclaimer **
I am not a NASCAR fan, so I'm sorry if there are major flaws in the following statement.

Didn't Kurt Bush once run out on the track flipping both middle fingers at someone that crashed him? Though stupid, I was under the impression that this action (going after another driver) was not an isolated incident.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:
I was under the impression that this action (going after another driver) was not an isolated incident.

It is not (isolated, that is).
Arguably, it is actually part of the race, the show, and the culture of "moonshine" (Nascar) racing.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 08-12-2014).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

** Disclaimer **
I am not a NASCAR fan, so I'm sorry if there are major flaws in the following statement.

Didn't Kurt Bush once run out on the track flipping both middle fingers at someone that crashed him? Though stupid, I was under the impression that this action (going after another driver) was not an isolated incident.

It happens, it's dangerous, and shouldn't be done. For the very reason that happened Saturday night in an upstate NY town race track. Doesn't mean they're not being stupid and not risking their lives by doing so.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It's a race track, not a residential street. Traffic laws are not in play. You may not know what was going through Ward's mind (or Stewart's), but you know Ward exited his vehicle and walked towards the traffic line.

Others avoided Ward, but Ward was continuing to walk into the line of traffic, meaning each successive car would have to go farther to the inside to avoid him.
At the very least, that shows negligence on his part, and that's likely all a jury would have to see to acquit Stewart of wrongdoing.

From the video, Ward was standing still and pointing at Stewart. Ward was not hit head on, so he wasn't in anybody's lane of traffic. Stewart side swiped him with his rear tire. So basically a professional race track driver over steered, while the novice drivers on the track did not. A caution flag lap nonetheless.

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Exactly! And it is only protecting the owners from everyone else, not everyone else from each other.
Done trying to explain, waste of time.

Kevin
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Done trying to explain, waste of time.

Kevin

Yup, sometimes it just isn't worth it...

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There will be lawsuits, no question. Who will win the suits is a completely different story.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the video, Ward was standing still and pointing at Stewart. Ward was not hit head on, so he wasn't in anybody's lane of traffic. Stewart side swiped him with his rear tire. So basically a professional race track driver over steered, while the novice drivers on the track did not. A caution flag lap nonetheless.

What video did you see, I saw Ward walking.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, now you got it... no one connected to the event is liable for anything. You are right in the second part ONLY IF THEY PROVE SOMETHING.

Sorry you cant read the rules. It clearly says NO team member (includes drivers) can approach another drivers car without breaking rules, that if they get in ANY physical contact they break the rules, and if they (team members including driver) set foot on the racing surface they break the rules. You really need to take a course in reading comprehension.

You talk about everyone else being lawyers...you sure sound like you think your one. I just go by the facts, not your interpretation of laws and rules. Also, not in writing, during the prerace meeting all these rules are mentioned one by one including " stay in your car till you are told the track is clear. Put your window net down to signal you are OK and remain until safety people arrive."

I will definately agree its not always followed, many times, by many people. Its also against the rules to intentionally hit another car, but it happens all the time. Sometimes you get busted for it if its blatant.

We will have to see what happens. IF the series officials and the police find no evidence of intent, he will get off scott free as you say. He didnt do anything wrong. It was a racing accident prompted by the other drivers stupidity. If he had stayed in his car as rules dictate, hed still be here. I say no one will 'win' anything. The only money they will get will be if Stewart feels some generosity on his own. Even the other drivers life insurance will not pay a dime because you are not covered if participating in a competition. If he does lose anything, even if found unintentional, Ill be glad to admit I was wrong, even if I dont believe it was wrong.

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right... Gross negligence like getting out of a car, and walking toward a crowd of racecars trying to start a fight, that would be gross negligence.

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, according to the rules they could fine Wards team $10,500, plus points.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried to locate this rule, but have been unsuccessful. Can you share where this rule is posted?

Are you as stupid as the things you post?

Really, unless the car is on fire you are safer in the car than walking out into traffic, like he did !

WTF is wrong with you ?

Think about it before you answer, because normally anyone with half a brain would stay in the car until rescue arrives, except someone like that kid or maybe you. You are safer in the car than running down the track and pointing at people who you think did you wrong, now aren't you?

Steve
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure how it works in the USA (and it did happen in the USA, so take what I say for what it's worth...) but over here no waiver will save you from negligence or criminal act. Should Tony Stewart be found to have intentionally swerved towards Ward (to scare him or otherwise) he would be charged with a criminal act and on top of that sued in civil court.

From that one camera angle, I can't pass judgment... it just does not look good and Tony's rep does not help...

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, now you got it... no one connected to the event is liable for anything. You are right in the second part ONLY IF THEY PROVE SOMETHING.

Sorry you cant read the rules. It clearly says NO team member (includes drivers) can approach another drivers car without breaking rules, that if they get in ANY physical contact they break the rules, and if they (team members including driver) set foot on the racing surface they break the rules. You really need to take a course in reading comprehension.

You talk about everyone else being lawyers...you sure sound like you think your one. I just go by the facts, not your interpretation of laws and rules. Also, not in writing, during the prerace meeting all these rules are mentioned one by one including " stay in your car till you are told the track is clear. Put your window net down to signal you are OK and remain until safety people arrive."

I will definately agree its not always followed, many times, by many people. Its also against the rules to intentionally hit another car, but it happens all the time. Sometimes you get busted for it if its blatant.

We will have to see what happens. IF the series officials and the police find no evidence of intent, he will get off scott free as you say. He didnt do anything wrong. It was a racing accident prompted by the other drivers stupidity. If he had stayed in his car as rules dictate, hed still be here. I say no one will 'win' anything. The only money they will get will be if Stewart feels some generosity on his own. Even the other drivers life insurance will not pay a dime because you are not covered if participating in a competition. If he does lose anything, even if found unintentional, Ill be glad to admit I was wrong, even if I dont believe it was wrong.

Criminal investigation is still ongoing. Stewart could be held criminally liable for Ward's death.

http://www.washingtontimes....harges-fatal-accide/
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've stayed out of this til now......

From what I saw....
Stewards car did not appear to deviate until the right rear tire came in contact with an object, at that point the front of the car moved to the right.
Exactly what you would expect from a car set up the way a sprinter is set up.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stewart could be held criminally liable for Ward's death.

Well, it is New York.
turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I've stayed out of this til now......

From what I saw....
Stewards car did not appear to deviate until the right rear tire came in contact with an object, at that point the front of the car moved to the right.
Exactly what you would expect from a car set up the way a sprinter is set up.

That's what I see too. Also, I appears to me that the car in front of Stewart nearly takes Ward out, narrowly missing him. In fact it looks like Ward actually jumps back a little to avoid getting hit. Indicating that that driver never saw or realized Ward was right there either.
PFF
System Bot
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I have watched the video a number of times and have read some comments from actual sprint car drivers and between the darkness of the track in that area and the fact that the driver was all in Black contributed to what happened.

Visibility was not a factor according to the other drivers. Several have stated they clearly saw Ward and one went so far as to state what his facial expression was like.
http://www.nydailynews.com/...sh-article-1.1900545

'I drove right by him,' Kinney said. 'He looked a little bit angry. I didn't think much of it. A lot of drivers do that.'

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://news.yahoo.com/crimi...-203045729--spt.html

Interesting article with clips... from those who actually study law....

The NASCAR star could be charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law if prosecutors believe he "recklessly caused the death of another person," with negligent homicide another possibility, according to criminal law professor Corey Rayburn Yung of the Kansas University School of Law.

After the investigation is completed, Povero said, the evidence will be turned over to the district attorney as a matter of routine. Even if he is cleared by prosecutors, though, Stewart could face a civil suit.

Although the standard of proof is lower than in a criminal case, the civil court would also consider Ward's state of mind at the time of the accident and whether he was also negligent in venturing into racing traffic on a dark track in a dark suit.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Investigators say it could take several weeks to decide the outcome to press charges. But they do know that Stewart was only going 35mph around that turn.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he's found guilty by the sanctioning body and the authorities, then so be it and of course there will be a civil trial. I'd be completely shocked if there wasn't. I'm just saving judgement until a lot more of the facts are known. I'm not saying Stewart's innocent in all of this, nor am I saying he's guilty. I just refuse to jump on the "I hate Tony Stewart so he's guilty" bandwagon. He's hot-headed, overly aggressive at times, and just a general azzhole. But a person having a bad attitude doesn't automatically mean they're guilty of murder.

------------------
Whade' "Darkwing" Duck
Fieroless (11/18/12)

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yea, to other drivers but according to the video the other driver came close to Ward and Stewart was right behind him.
And those cars have huge wings on them.

I`m sure the "big shot" Stewart is not so well liked around that track by some of the drivers.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 08-13-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

I'm not sure how it works in the USA (and it did happen in the USA, so take what I say for what it's worth...) but over here no waiver will save you from negligence or criminal act. Should Tony Stewart be found to have intentionally swerved towards Ward (to scare him or otherwise) he would be charged with a criminal act and on top of that sued in civil court.

From that one camera angle, I can't pass judgment... it just does not look good and Tony's rep does not help...

YES, same here. Ive said all along nothing will happen UNLESS they find him liable for anything intentional. If they find it was intentional, then yes it is negligent or a criminal act. Also in a US court, his past is not admissable evidence, he could have a fistfight every week. They can only use evidence specific to that case.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

YES, same here. Ive said all along nothing will happen UNLESS they find him liable for anything intentional. If they find it was intentional, then yes it is negligent or a criminal act. Also in a US court, his past is not admissable evidence, he could have a fistfight every week. They can only use evidence specific to that case.

For the most part, you are right, with the exception of anything in the past that Stewart had with Ward. If Stewart got into a fist fight with Ward last week, that may be admissible.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, in that case maybe....MAY being the key word, depending on judge.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock