Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Hey, young guys here....want a geat career ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hey, young guys here....want a geat career ? by MidEngineManiac
Started on: 06-23-2014 06:11 PM
Replies: 6 (237 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 06-24-2014 06:06 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.atpflightschool.com

For a measly $65,000........ you to can work long days for little to no pay (your hours are considered part of your compensation), come home with a headache daily reeking of kerosine and 100LL (or, as we called it, that fracking blue sheet) and watch your life derams squashed by neptism hires going to people who's idea of working was renting something with wings on daddy's money and flying to the bahama's to drink and play golf.

Actually, $65,000 isnt that bad, its about what I paid back in the early 90's (they just arent telling you about the 80% wash-out rate and they keep the money from those 80%, no refunds. Ya feel like gambling on your skills ?---you will be gambling your life on them soon enough)-----and it was a pretty good career before 9/11 too, I am just like Will Smith in ID4 and pizzed off I aint flying one of the alien fighters......yet.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 06-23-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageClick Here to Email hookdonspeedSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
holy hell... 15k for a private single engine is a bit high... last time i looked was around 5k.. been a few years, but geez!
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornClick Here to Email heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, MEM, you are saying don't do this?
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Life has really jaded and beaten you Mike.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a pilot friend who was recently hired by Southwest Airlines. He comes from a flying family; his father is a pilot and his father-in-law is a retired airline pilot now flying a privately owned business jet. At age 37 he was one of the younger pilots in his Southwest flight crew new-hire orientation class (the oldest was in his mid 50s). My friend has been a pilot since age 16, is both enthusiastic and highly competent, and has been "paying his dues" flying professionally for the past 17 years. "Fast Track" ... yea, right.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-24-2014).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaClick Here to Email WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

I have a pilot friend who was recently hired by Southwest Airlines. He comes from a flying family; his father is a pilot and his father-in-law is a retired airline pilot now flying a privately owned business jet. At age 37 he was one of the youngest pilots in his Southwest flight crew new-hire orientation class (the oldest was in his mid 50s). My friend has been a pilot since age 16, is both enthusiastic and highly competent, and has been "paying his dues" flying professionally for the past 17 years. "Fast Track" ... yea, right.

I have a good friend who is pilot for Southwest and he is younger than 37.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I have a good friend who is pilot for Southwest and he is younger than 37.

Not surprising at all. There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.* My point was that no matter how good you are it may take 20 years or more of hard work to advance from primary flight training to a paid seat in an airline cockpit.

*In the late 1960s I had a flight instructor/friend in his early 20s who desperately wanted an airline career and was accumulating flight hours any way he could. But fate has some funny twists. Instead of the airline career path, he became pilot hire #52 for a small startup called Federal Express. I thought he was crazy at the time, but though he started flying for them in the right seat of a lowly Gulfstream, within 18 months was flying left seat in a FedEx DC-10.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-24-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock