Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  The Burden Of Owning 3 Cars And Having To I.M. & Register Them All At Once... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The Burden Of Owning 3 Cars And Having To I.M. & Register Them All At Once... by Boondawg
Started on: 06-23-2014 05:10 PM
Replies: 43 (495 views)
Last post by: Old Lar on 06-26-2014 09:20 PM
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.....huge $300 wallet hit.
It ain't cheap fueling The Great American Addiction!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

.....huge $300 wallet hit.
It ain't cheap fueling The Great American Addiction!

I guarantee it's a whole lot cheaper there than it is here to own and drive multiple cars (or even one).

Sorry, you're not getting any sympathy from this side of the border.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Sorry, you're not getting any sympathy from this side of the border.

I've always been told Canadians are nice, caring people.... Lies.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Boonie, no sympathy here either. 08 Dodge Ram (mine), 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's), 87 Pontiac Fiero...around $650 per year. Goes down a bit as the vehicles age. I got smart when I bought my truck and made the renewal in my wife's birth month so everything isn't due all at once. Truck comes due in October and the other two are in March.

I have a buddy that drives an 88 Chevy pickup which is his only vehicle and his registration per year is around $35-$40....bastard.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I've always been told Canadians are nice, caring people.... Lies.

But we are nice, caring people. We're nice to everyone who saves us money as we care about how expensive everything is up here.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate to rub it in... but Florida is awesome when it comes to that...

You have three cars to register? Ok... hand over $120 bucks and proof of insurance. That's it... no inspections, nothing.

I can probably throw spinners on a back-hoe and register it as my commuter car.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

You have three cars to register? Ok... hand over $120 bucks and proof of insurance. That's it... no inspections, nothing.

We dont do inspections either. Just pay your bill and move on. Even do it online now. Your stickers show up in the mail a week or so later.

FLA did inspections when I lived there in the 70's.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 06-23-2014).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$62 each here for registration renewal.
$18 each for safety inspection--no emissions testing here in my county.
Currently, that equals $460/year. (I'm down to 2 vehicles that I drive)
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SC has a lot of personal property taxes and you have to pay them to register the car. My wife's Expedition (2010 XLS) cost me $450 this year for taxes/registration. My old Expedition is about $150 and the Fieros are about $50 each. They used to cost about $21 but a new tag issue fee was added in the last two years to raise the cost. I would be happy to pay $300 to register all my vehicles.

Nelson
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Minnesota has me mumbling every year when I pay about $425 for 4 vehicles. 3 vehicles 15 years old or newer and an 84 Fiero.

4 years ago, the last year I could claim South Dakota residency in the military, I spent $160 for 2 Fieros and two vehicles that were 10 years old or newer. Both Fieros had personalized plates and my S-10 had veterans plates, too.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I've always been told Canadians are nice, caring people....

They are!
I'm a huge fan.

Patrick kind of ruins it for them, though...
PFF
System Bot
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Both Fieros had personalized plates and my S-10 had veterans plates, too.

You just reminded me, both the plates on my wife's Jeep and on my truck have natural resource plates, $25 extra bucks a piece. I guess $50 of it is my fault but it does go to the DNR foundation sooooo...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

We dont do inspections either. Just pay your bill and move on. Even do it online now. Your stickers show up in the mail a week or so later.

FLA did inspections when I lived there in the 70's.

Yup, Florida did inspections too when I first moved there in 1996. One of the first things that Jeb Bush did was eliminate the safety inspections. They determined that it made absolutely no difference whatsoever in road safety, and all it ended up doing was hurting the poor since they are the ones that typically drove / had the older cars. They also determined that with the increasing emissions regulation of vehicles (by the mid to late 90s) there was little need anymore for doing emissions inspections as, again, all it did was affect the poor people who were driving older cars.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember which deep southern state I drove thru back in the '60s that had no safety inspections but it wasn't unusual to see bumpers, tail light assemblies or fenders flapping in the breeze as the cars drove down the highway. Mississippi maybe--maybe Arkansas. Sure were lots of one eyed vehicles too, once it got dark.
Safety does have it's place...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Patrick kind of ruins it for them, though...

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Registration, personal taxes and insurance costs are precisely the reasons I'm down to one Fiero now. It may go soon also. Anyone want a 3800SC Five Speed Formula? It's the least practical of the vehicles stabled here and there is very little ROI at this point. Besides, the knees are headed south.

Nope, no sympathy here. Just one of the prices we pay to live here.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-23-2014).]

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got 65 a car for my wifes grand prix the jeep and the cavalier. The thing that really aggravates me is in Ohio the motorcycle is 45. I once asked shouldn't it be half? Where lucky if we can get on the road 6 months out of the year and it uses on plate half the size of a regular plate and we need two plates for a car. Every vehicle is currently in my name so I get hit with all 4 at once. I learned to space it out since Ohio allows early registration I do one car every two weeks a month before its due.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try 6!

Kevin
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a 2002 Grand Prix GT. Just got the plate renewal reminder in the mail. $75-ish this year.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't you mean "The FREEDOM of owning 3 Cars?"

But yeah, I hear ya. I think it cost 1200 to do both cars last time

Whippeee!

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
I feel much better!

And to think I was about to throw in the towel and just call'er quits..........stinkin' greener grass!
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 cars, and 2 teenage drivers. One of them a boy. Didn't bother to add it up, but I'm sure I lapped you at least once.

Jim
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boonie just do what I do, register them at different times of the year, then do the inspections if you have those at different times. Not that it cost us a lot to register our cars here, just that we don't have that much extra cash laying around to register and inspect 3 cars all at once.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Does Florida still have "impact fees?"
When I lived there in the 90's, any vehicle you "added to the road" required a one-time impact fee be paid. New car purchase, or transferring registration from out of state to FL, for example. Used cars previously registered in FL didn't have to pay the fee since it was a net zero impact to the number of cars on the road.
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in Calif. you have to get a smog check every other year $60 plus the renewal fee.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Boonie just do what I do, register them at different times of the year, then do the inspections if you have those at different times. Not that it cost us a lot to register our cars here, just that we don't have that much extra cash laying around to register and inspect 3 cars all at once.

Steve

Might work in some states Steve but not so much in others. In Kentucky, you pay for tags and registration/property taxes at the end of the owner's birth month, doesn't matter how many vehicles that person owns. I know some folks that will register a vehicle or two in the husband's name and others in the wife's name. That won't work for me, the wife and I share birth months.

------------------
Ron
Count Down to A Better America: http://countingdownto.com/countdown/196044
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

My Uncle Frank was a staunch Conservative and voted straight Republican until the day he died in Chicago. Since then he has voted Democrat. Shrug

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 06-24-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Try 6!

Kevin

Yep, then add insurance for 6.

Ohio car plates are around $50, no inspection here. When I lived in Okla, plates were based on the new car selling price + the age. I had a buddy with a 39 Ford...his tags were $7. Same tags for my Lincoln Continental were $400.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here in MI, it is based on the value of the car.... at least for a while. So it averages about $100 a car.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

When I lived there in the 90's, any vehicle you "added to the road" required a one-time impact fee be paid.

My brother lived there too and paid something like $900 when he got a second car. But for some reason I thought that was when he moved to Colorado. Either way, though - Florida or Colorado - they didn't think one person needed more than one vehicle and they billed him $900 to register the second car.

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

css9450

5412 posts
Member since Nov 2002
Friend of mine used to "collect" cars and kept them parked in various relative's driveways all around town. Most of the cars barely ran, or for various reasons he rarely drove some of them. He had 10 or 12 cars at one point but only two or three had plates, city stickers, insurance, etc. Then he moved to a place that had street-parking only, and also lost most of the rest of his other driveway parking elsewhere. Suddenly he was faced with having to get valid license plates and city stickers for ALL the cars! He racked up tons of tickets and even had the cars booted. I never heard the whole story but I think he lost some of the cars when the city towed them away.
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this yesterday on 3 cars. Only one of them needed the $22 Emissions Inspection, the others are too old. No safety inspection here in GA. The three cars, a 2001 Chrysler 300M, an 88 Fiero GT, and an 87 Corvette, came to about $155 for tags.
I did have to pay a shade over $500 last month when I bought an 88 Porsche 928, but most of that is a one time "sales" tax and I will no longer pay any ad valorem tax on that car............

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Steve

Difficult to do here as well. You have a short window within which to register each vehicle the first time, therafter, a penalty is levied, and then only a 60 day window for annual re-registration.
Inspection stations won't inspect a vehicle more than 1 month ahead of the date of expiration either.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

My brother lived there too and paid something like $900 when he got a second car. But for some reason I thought that was when he moved to Colorado. Either way, though - Florida or Colorado - they didn't think one person needed more than one vehicle and they billed him $900 to register the second car.

What absolute horse crap. Florida does not care how many cars you have, and it isn't any more expensive to register 50 as it is one.

Originally posted by Formula88:

When I lived there in the 90's, any vehicle you "added to the road" required a one-time impact fee be paid. New car purchase, or transferring registration from out of state to FL, for example. Used cars previously registered in FL didn't have to pay the fee since it was a net zero impact to the number of cars on the road.

That was eliminated in 1995. Stories about it still float around on the net.

[This message has been edited by heybjorn (edited 06-25-2014).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

What absolute horse crap. Florida does not care how many cars you have, and it isn't any more expensive to register 50 as it is one.

Like I said, I thought it was Colorado. It was, however, pre-1995 if that makes any difference.

One of those two states charged him $900 for the second car.

heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pre 95 registration could add up, with the impact fee, title fee, taxes, tag, and tax collector service charge. Taxes are whatever rate the county charges, so that could be substantial on a Bugatti.

I apologize for being rude, css. I could have worded that better.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem!

I'll ask him next time we talk; kind of gotten curious myself. I do remember not too long after he moved to Colorado he traded in both cars (including his Mustang convertible) and bought a Jeep - which he said was much better suited for his new home in the mountains.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-25-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first registered my used truck right after I bought it a few years ago, they charged me $600 sales tax (based on what I paid for it and cross-checked against the Kelly Bluebook) added right to the registration.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 06-25-2014).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I don't remember which deep southern state I drove thru back in the '60s that had no safety inspections but it wasn't unusual to see bumpers, tail light assemblies or fenders flapping in the breeze as the cars drove down the highway. Mississippi maybe--maybe Arkansas. Sure were lots of one eyed vehicles too, once it got dark.
Safety does have it's place...

The state of Florida did a study and determined that there was NO CHANGE in the number of accidents before and after the safety inspection program. While it did provide SOME additional income to the state, the Republican governor (Jeb Bush) at the time realized that all it was doing was actually HURTING the poor because they generally were the ones who were failing the inspections.

But to directly answer your comment, it is still totally illegal to have a burnt out headlight or taillight and it is also illegal to not use your turn-signal. And they WILL pull you over for having a burnt out taillight and headlight. I know because I've been pulled over for both. One with my 78 Cadillac Eldorado that I cut the roof off of, and then I had a brake light go out in my Fiero back in the day.

Bottom line, Florida is totally awesome, and other states could really learn a lot from us.

Originally posted by heybjorn:

That was eliminated in 1995. Stories about it still float around on the net.

Yeah, and for some of the people that were hit with that fee in 94-95, they actually reimbursed them.

Originally posted by css9450:

Like I said, I thought it was Colorado. It was, however, pre-1995 if that makes any difference.

One of those two states charged him $900 for the second car.

It took many years to undue all of the nonsense legislation and taxation that the Democrats had pushed through. Florida has been Republican since...

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 06-25-2014).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Texas, for some reason, is doing away with the inspection STICKER next year--but not the inspection. When you re-register each year, you will have to show proof of inspection just as you now have to show proof of liability insurance.
I suspect it will also give the authorities another reason to pull cars over--to show proof of current inspection, just as hey now have roadblocks to check for insurance.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/sto...U6nTpi5toqo.facebook
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my car 6 months ago and paid registration and $2400 sales tax, and since I just had my birthday, I had to pay the registration again. $189 for a single car.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock