Started on: 06-12-2014 09:41 AM
Replies: 15 (197 views)
Last post by: maryjane on 06-12-2014 11:31 PM
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.csmonitor.com/Bu...-cab-drivers-protest

Taxi-hailing app Uber saw sign-ups jump to record levels on Wednesday, following a rush of publicity as cab drivers across Europe went on strike to protest against the company.

Wherever you fall on the debate of Uber and other such unregulated/unlicensed services, it's interesting to watch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know someone that drives for something similar. All his passengers have to have a credit card. I believe this allows him to decrease his chances of picking up rif raf. A win for him, and even his passengers. Less stress, cleaner vehicle, and more personable service.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I know someone that drives for something similar. All his passengers have to have a credit card. I believe this allows him to decrease his chances of picking up rif raf. A win for him, and even his passengers. Less stress, cleaner vehicle, and more personable service.

Lyft?
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Lyft. The pink mustache makes me smile every time I see it.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont see a problem with them...drivers get background checks, company covers the insurance for you when your carrying someone. You get paid for going where you were going anyway, just a little detour. I dont see a downside other than city dont get a cut.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

......I dont see a downside other than city dont get a cut.

But, but, but....the corporation of the city of "X" is ENTITLED to their cut, It's THEIRS.....they passed a corporate by-law saying so...[/sarcasm]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Their LEGAL cut is the sales tax collected.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-12-2014 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cabbies are evil. At least around here. Rude, refuse to follow the traffic laws, dangerous..
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwagner:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Bu...-cab-drivers-protest

Wherever you fall on the debate of Uber and other such unregulated/unlicensed services, it's interesting to watch.

Taxi-hailing app Uber saw sign-ups jump to record levels on Wednesday, following a rush of publicity as cab drivers across Europe went on strike to protest against the company.

Soo... because something completely outside of their business or control is hurting their business, they're going to refuse to go to work? That makes a lot of sense...
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SNIP... I dont see a downside other than city dont get a cut.

I think it has more to do with the union not getting a cut.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im so mad I could burn my house down
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt know they had a union. Around here, Somalis go buy a Crown Vic police car and paint it green or purple and stick TAXI letters on the side with their cell phone number. I cant count the number of times theyve cut others/ me off nearly causing accidents.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didnt know they had a union. Around here, Somalis go buy a Crown Vic police car and paint it green or purple and stick TAXI letters on the side with their cell phone number. I cant count the number of times theyve cut others/ me off nearly causing accidents.

DONT even start on them.....when I call a cab (I only use one company here) I flat out tell the dispatcher if he sends one of them I wont be getting in the car and will be calling the competition. I dont give a crap if its "racist" or not. I'd rather be racists than dead in a wreck or dealing with thier attitude.

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the article referenced above:

Uber accused London taxi union, the Licensed Taxi Drivers Association, of being stuck in the "dark ages" and called on the union to cancel the "irresponsible" strike

Black cab driver and representative of trade union Unite, Peter Rose, who is helping to lead protests in London, said Uber's inclusion black cabs was clearly a "deflection" and doubted there would be any real take-up of the offer.

"There is no history of cab drivers using private hire firms. It isn't about Uber, this is about TfL. TfL should be acting like a proper regulator," he said.
aqua-man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aqua-manSend a Private Message to aqua-manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son in Philadelphia and now in DC uses Uber all the time for his transportation. It's a little more expensive but he gets a Limo and more comfortable than a cab.

Earl
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to think back, if I've ever even rode in a cab other than the jeepneys in SE Asia......I don't think I have.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock