Started on: 05-21-2014 04:55 PM
Replies: 18 (455 views)
Last post by: blackrams on 01-20-2022 08:17 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so it isn't really a flying car... more of a motorbike. And it can only "fly" about 12 feet off the ground. But it's a start.

http://arstechnica.com/gadg...or-85000-hoverbikes/

And you can get one for the low low price of $85k.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
heybjorn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The answers to questions nobody asked keep getting better and better, don't they? Not less expensive, though.
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

OK, so it isn't really a flying car... more of a motorbike. And it can only "fly" about 12 feet off the ground. But it's a start.

12' is enough to fly right over my suburban's.

Originally posted by heybjorn:

The answers to questions nobody asked keep getting better and better, don't they? Not less expensive, though.

No Crap, a lot more expensive.

Originally posted by texasfiero:

Here 'tis!

Now Don could use that, next trip to the hospital and Jane won't have to drive him there, just tell it to fly him to the hospital, then she can drive herself. And it's in his price range

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Thanks but I'm not one of those hardheaded bug eaters. Jetsons didn't need to keep their mouth shut or worry about rain or hail and I don't want to either--but yes, it's a start, kinda like the Flintstones feet powered cars were a start toward Fieros.
That, is NOT what I was promised.
I want my flyin car just as was promised and not one of those fold up pieces of crap, or some near surface skimming "yang, yang, yang, yang, yang, yang" modified 2 wheelers.

I WANT MY FLYING CAR DAMMIT!!!!

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 01-10-2016).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2016 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like something otu of str wars. Disney will be suing shortly.
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

I want my flyin car just as was promised and not one of those fold up pieces of crap,

Jetsons cars folded up into his briefcase. Refer to 49 seconds into the intro to see the transformation.

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 01-20-2016).]

Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New One?

HAGO!
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sage:

New One?

HAGO!

I know it's only 1/4 scale... but I absolutely love everything about it. It's exactly what I would design, if I had the skills and background to do so. It's basically perfect in my mind. I'd imagine that something realized would need to be almost entirely carbon fiber to save on weight. But I'd imagine that with how it's designed, you could even have an emergency chute that could deploy in the event of catastrophic failure of the propulsion system... just to slow the descent so you don't die.

It looks absolutely amazing, and of course designed for forward momentum, unlike a typical drone that's omni-directional.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2022 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a boyish fantasy.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

It's a boyish fantasy.

... as was Space-X, Blue Origin, and Tesla!!!
PFF
System Bot
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-19-2022 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point. Space X just sent up their 2000th satellite.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout_Skycar

BILL STOUT DID A FLYING CAR or 4

bill allso did the ford tri-motor a very early all metal ''airliner''
and the scarab car/first mini van in the mid 30's
and was the guy my dad worked for on the B-29 hyd systems debugging during WW2
they didnot build it just made it work as well as it did to fly/fight
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SpaceX has flown one of it's boosters 11 times and has now flown four of its reusable boosters at least 10 times. SpaceX, less than 1 month into the new year, has had 3 successful launch and recovery missions.
The company made over 30 launches in 2021 but may be paring back their launches in 2022.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

SpaceX has flown one of it's boosters 11 times and has now flown four of its reusable boosters at least 10 times. SpaceX, less than 1 month into the new year, has had 3 successful launch and recovery missions.
The company made over 30 launches in 2021 but may be paring back their launches in 2022.

Private business > government bureaucracy
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I showed the video to one group of my friends, the one posted by Sage... and this is what they said:

(The youngest, radical leftist): "In a word: dumb. We want automated cars, not flying cars. Who the **** thinks a flying car is a good idea?"

(The conservative): "Seriously how many people would die in these things?!? And when they fall, they could fall on your house or your kids playing in the street?!?! No thanks!"

(The liberal): "Much more efficient to roll some thing than keep it suspended in air. Maybe when we move to the moon?"
sourmash

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2022 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One reason we wanted flying cars is to avoid congestion. It would relieve some congestion, but not avoid it.

Working from home helped. Online shopping did too.

Will there be an "every man" flying car for in town commuting in your lifetime? Our greatest strength will just take pot shots at you as you fly over.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's automated and quiet, it could work. Automated in a guidance and avoidance system. Both from others like it and from things sticking up from the ground. And it must be quiet. Nobody is going to appreciate some loud machine over their house at 3 am. Aircraft are tolerable now with the current engine technology but still have to comply with noise abatement routes and procedures.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

If it's automated and quiet, it could work. Automated in a guidance and avoidance system. Both from others like it and from things sticking up from the ground. And it must be quiet. Nobody is going to appreciate some loud machine over their house at 3 am. Aircraft are tolerable now with the current engine technology but still have to comply with noise abatement routes and procedures.

I agree, used to live in Northern Mississippi about 6 miles south of Memphis International Airport. Bought a brand new home there in Southhaven, MS. Didn't figure out why we always had to meet the selling realtor at certain times to see the home prior to buying until after we owned the home. The home of FedEx and other airlines do a lot of evening and very early flights and guess who's home they flew directly over on take off and landing. Flights seem to be less frequent during normal daylight hours but, there's also distractors during the day.

After two years, we were ready to give up on a peaceful evening or morning and sold to another fortunate buyer. Didn't get involved in the sale except to negotiate pricing, we had already moved to another home.

Rams

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-20-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock