Started on: 05-04-2014 01:16 PM
Replies: 11 (201 views)
Last post by: spark1 on 05-05-2014 09:24 PM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every so often I will mention in tech how one tool made for one specific job can be used for other things as well, even though they were never meant to be.

My friend who owns the shop with a lift I sometimes borrow, well I just go over when he isn't using it and use it there obviously. Well he called today to ask to borrow my fuel pressure tester of course I said sure but don't you have one, he said I did, until I loaned it to someone who never brought it back, You, meaning me have got to be the only one who always returns tools when I lone them out. anyway having tested my fuel pump pressure before without the dedicated tester I mentioned, because I know most of what he has for tools and vice versa,

don't you have an old air conditioning recharger kit? he does, I know he does I have used it over at his place. he said Well ya you know I do. then I told him the connector on that is the same as the one on the fuel pump tester and connects right up to the shrader valve or whatever its called. he said no way. while I was on the phone with him he found it and checked, low and behold he doesn't need to borrow my tester today.

Anyone else have any specialty tools they have bought for just one purpose that they have found other uses for post them up, I won't mind?
hell maybe someone else could use our vast knowledge base of other uses for tools.

I have others but have to go pull the console on a Hyundai to release the dam Ebrakes, WTF why can't things ever be easy anymore.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No comments or added ideas for uses of one tool to use in a different way? OK

Next one is something I saw on You Tube about a home made pressure bleeder for brakes and clutches with hydraulic systems made from of all things, a pump sprayer.

Great for our little cars as bleeding the brakes and clutch system can be a royal pain in the ass.

Steve
heybjorn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heybjornSend a Private Message to heybjornEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that pump sprayer makes sense.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

No comments or added ideas for uses of one tool to use in a different way? OK

Next one is something I saw on You Tube about a home made pressure bleeder for brakes and clutches with hydraulic systems made from of all things, a pump sprayer.

I made one of those and use it on my Cobalt. It works great! Highly recommended.

I haven't gotten creative enough to make a fitting that'll seal on the Fiero brake reservoir, though, so that one gets done by gravity. Time for a beer while I'm waiting!

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I made one of those and use it on my Cobalt. It works great! Highly recommended.

I haven't gotten creative enough to make a fitting that'll seal on the Fiero brake reservoir, though, so that one gets done by gravity. Time for a beer while I'm waiting!

Just buy a new cap for the brake reservoir and drill the hole in the new or old one. you need to make a cap for each different kind of reservoir you will be bleeding. cheap really compared to taking it someplace and hqaving them do it. what's a new cover cost.

Steve
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A must have, and a Great Price.
http://www.newegg.com/Produ...?Item=9SIA0400584607
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

what's a new cover cost.

Probably free, or close to it, from the junkyard.

I wondered if it would seal tightly enough under pressure, but I suppose if it doesn't, I could just put a couple zip-ties around it.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

A must have, and a Great Price.
http://www.newegg.com/Produ...?Item=9SIA0400584607

While that is a great tool, what have you used it for that it was never made for, I can tell you I have used mine as a hammer as well as a braker bar, but what have you used it for, other than its intended use?

Originally posted by css9450:

Probably free, or close to it, from the junkyard.

I wondered if it would seal tightly enough under pressure, but I suppose if it doesn't, I could just put a couple zip-ties around it.

I think he just cut the center out of the rubber gasket on the video and I don't see why that wouldn't work on the brake master cylinder. Or if it doesn't work use a couple of zip ties, like you said.

we use zip ties everywhere around the farm for things they were never meant for as well.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-05-2014).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use one of these as a tooth pick...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I use one of these as a tooth pick...

Who are you really, Jay Leno?

Steve
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great floor jack for Fiero owners. Low profile and high lift.

http://www.harborfreight.co...apid-pump-60678.html

There is also a way to test fuel injectors with a baby medicine syringe. I've done it and it works great. Maybe I saw it here or on YouTube.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heybjorn:

Now that pump sprayer makes sense.

He could have saved a lot of time by using a step drill bit.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock