Side Mounted Intercooler Heat Exchanges by MichiganReefer
Started on: 01-22-2023 08:34 PM
Replies: 4 (253 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 01-23-2023 10:59 AM
MichiganReefer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganReeferSend a Private Message to MichiganReeferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of a full L67 3800 build and restoration on my 88 GT- and know the general consensus of those that do add an intercooler put the heat exchanger up front of the radiator (and which is probably what I'm going to end up doing). I'm wondering if anyone has tried a passenger side scoop and put a heat exchanger there? If so, what side scoop panels were used and was it able to run cool enough to have any better performance over a front mounted heat exchanger? I have seen that LostNotForgotton has put a supplemental trans cooler there, but haven't seen if it was effective at all. I'm planning to do a front battery relocation and realize that because the flow of air there would be fairly high speed, forcing flow through a radiation could be tricky.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know too much about heat exchangers but I would imagine that trying to use the quarter panels as a cooling intake wouldn't work too well. I stole the picutre below from Fiero Addiction and he has his mounted in the front but away from the radiator so airflow might be better for both units this way.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-22-2023).]

MichiganReefer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichiganReeferSend a Private Message to MichiganReeferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's actually a really helpful picture for me. I haven't been gotten a picture of my own car, so that'll help me make a plan. Hoping to still hear from others to see if they have done a fender radiator.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2023 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just chime in about what I've heard. To add a cooler behind the passenger quarter panel would probably require a fan to help pull air through it. I don't believe there is a ram-air effect even if you have a cutout on the rear quarter panel. Here is an oil cooler that Unboundmo installed. He had to add a fan to make it work.

And again, hopefully someone who has installed a heat exchanger will chime in.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-22-2023).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2023 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frozen Boost makes a heat exchanger that is very close to the same size as the A/C condenser that can be mounted in front of the radiator. It works much better than the H/E that ZZP sells that is mounted flat between the front frame rails.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock