Wiper Arms (again) by PKFieroGT
Started on: 01-05-2023 01:11 PM
Replies: 12 (578 views)
Last post by: PhatMax on 02-02-2023 07:35 PM
PKFieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKFieroGTSend a Private Message to PKFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, read the threads on wiper arms and aftermarket 'J' hook replacements. I've wanted to do this for awhile as I wanted lower profile wipers rather than the big 'Knuckles' on the original wiper connections.

So I ordered a set of Dorman wiper arms (Part #'s 42579 & 42580) hoping I wouldn't run into any issues with them being too big as I've read in some posts.

Well, they finally came and guess what? They don't fit.

They're too big for the spindles (86GT) I have. Yes, I did click the side lock in as well. Doesn't grab on tight enough.

So, why is it that some users here have success with these arms and other's don't???? Frustrating to say the least...

Were there different wiper assemblies between years on Fiero's? I can't see why that would be the case??? Usually parts are interchangable through all years...

Thoughts?

------------------
PK
I should join a club and beat you over the head with it!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been following this subject with interest for a while. It would be nice to put some data to the test. Especially since the results are so varied.

Perhaps with some measurements of the actual spindles - perhaps you're correct and that there are more than one assembly. Anyone measuring should be using a caliper for accurate results.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These kind of issues have been going on for a long time. Bad info in parts books, even factory manuals. Radiator caps, belts, etc.
I went with the swing-out wipers on my 86-SE. From info on this site I went to the bone yard and pulled several pair from a Chevrolet pickup. Don't recall the model or year but someone this forum posted the info.
They fit perfectly and I only spent a few bucks. If I have to replace them someday I'll take them along to Advance, etc.... and ask to see both the Fiero spline size and the Chevrolet ones I brought along. I also went with slightly longer blades for a wider sweep.

Another thing to consider is the factory running out of the part in question and a substitute from another model was used until the stock was replaced.

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 01-05-2023).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dorman etc Aftermarket parts are often made different then GM and other OE parts.
Even if some Dorman arms fit Fiero before, very likely the current batch is a bit different now doesn't fit.

So just measure the sockets on arms.

But even that may not tell you w/ "cheap" tools or use good tools wrong because fit or not can be a few Hundred to Thousands of an Inch.

Anchors on Pivots on Many cars where arms attach can have small different diam for similar reasons. OE parts are Batch made so one batch is near lower limit and another near upper limit of tolerance. AND can't say Year of car had X size as you measure because 1 year can use 2 or a lot more batches of whatever part.

IOW... Dorman Batch of Arms and GM Batch of Pivots may not work in one car but work in another because of Tolerance Stacking.
Example: You have wide tolerance of dorman arm but small GM pivot on 1 car so won't fit but same arm may fit on another car even if same year.
Because every Dimension in making parts say X ± Y Tolerance like a resistor X Ω 10% 5% 1% Tolerance. 100Ω 10% Tol is good at reading 90 to 110Ω on a meter.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2023 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

I've been following this subject with interest for a while. It would be nice to put some data to the test. Especially since the results are so varied.

Perhaps with some measurements of the actual spindles - perhaps you're correct and that there are more than one assembly. Anyone measuring should be using a caliper for accurate results.

Or someone use a micrometer or something.

This is almost as highly contested as LED headlamps.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2023 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:
This is almost as highly contested as LED headlamps.
Only for fools and buyers w/o a clue that installs Illegal HL.
Eflay Scamazon and many others including fly by night TA/BTR sells/sold many Crap Illegal HL setups in Halogen LED and HID.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2023 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Only for fools and buyers w/o a clue that installs Illegal HL.
Eflay Scamazon and many others including fly by night TA/BTR sells/sold many Crap Illegal HL setups in Halogen LED and HID.

Don't hold back, or nuthin'.
PKFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2023 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKFieroGTSend a Private Message to PKFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE

Sorry for the delay in responding back to all of you..

I've been looking for my measuring caliper but seem to have misplaced it somewhere in my garage. Hate when I can't find the tool I know I have!!!

Anyway... I remembered I have a shell of an 87 Fiero Coupe that I am parting out that still had the Wiper arm splines still on it. I knocked off the snow and ice yesterday (I'm up in Canada) and tried to fit the Dorman aftermarket arms on it.

They fit MUCH better than on my 86 GT.... go figure. So, I presume there must have been a discrepancy between years or some models due to parts vendors etc...

If I ever find my measuring Calipers I'll get a more accurate picture, but for now I'll most likely swap the Spline mechanism from the 87 to the 86.... in the Spring. when the snow is gone!!! lol...

Cheers

------------------
PK
I should join a club and beat you over the head with it!

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2023 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could probably get you a set of wiper arms. I'm a bit sick of dealing with my manufacturer. I have blemished sets I could sell currently that you'd either have to live with the chips and scratches or refinish them yourself.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2023 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Don't hold back, or nuthin'.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2023 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PKFieroGT:
Anyway... I remembered I have a shell of an 87 Fiero Coupe that I am parting out that still had the Wiper arm splines still on it. I knocked off the snow and ice yesterday (I'm up in Canada) and tried to fit the Dorman aftermarket arms on it.

They fit MUCH better than on my 86 GT.... go figure. So, I presume there must have been a discrepancy between years or some models due to parts vendors etc...
Just more proof of what I said above.

I swapped low mile 86 wiper transmission to 87 car a few years ago because of binding in the pivots and didn't want to relube etc. Relube often is a pain and may not work if has bearing damage and not just GM but most other brands.
I put wiper "balls" on top of each other and can't see any difference by eye. OE Fiero wiper arms didn't care and just use same 87 arms.

Again, you can't trust year of car. Tolerance of a wiper ball and arm may change just enough from batch to batch not by model year.
Means Your 86 87 cars might have different wiper trans batches and my 86 87 can have same batch of parts depending on exactly when car is made because GM et al do not junk leftover parts w/o a very good reason. For that matter, can't even say from car to car on assembly line because many parts just get stuff into same bins and may mix different batches. Car parts are not like food etc in a local store that must watch expire date for Milk or "rotten" Produce.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when I did this I noticed that they fit, but were loose and the arms would not "work" like they should. So I drilled a small hole in the base, and into the threaded part on the car. Then tapped the hole with a small set screw and installed them. they work great and have not had an issue in over 5 years.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2023 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Qwikgta….. brilliant idea….simple and effective.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock