88 V6 to an 84 4 cyl. Cradle by Fiero Master
Started on: 11-05-2022 09:35 PM
Replies: 8 (293 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 11-11-2022 06:40 AM
Fiero Master

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2022 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are trying to install a 2.8 out of a Formula onto an 84 cradle and having a tough time with the front motor mount lining up. Do we need a different bracket or a different mount?

------------------
88 Formula

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2022 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Should be some relevant info in This recent thread.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2022 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Master:

We are trying to install a 2.8 out of a Formula onto an 84 cradle and having a tough time with the front motor mount lining up. Do we need a different bracket or a different mount?

The 88 front (under the pulley) bracket is a one-year-only piece. You will probably need the 85-87 "L-shaped" bracket, and the rubber mounting cushion from one of those years.
No guarantees that those will work with the 84 cradle, but they'll have a much better chance than the 88 bracket.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2022 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
The 88 front (under the pulley) bracket is a one-year-only piece. You will probably need the 85-87 "L-shaped" bracket, and the rubber mounting cushion from one of those years.
No guarantees that those will work with the 84 cradle, but they'll have a much better chance than the 88 bracket.

x2.

The 88 engine mount location on the cradle is in a different location than the 84-87 cradles. So you need to use the engine mount bracket for the 85-87 V6 Fiero.

Don't toss the 88 2.8 engine mount bracket, it was a 1 year only part and people swapping an 88 cradle into their 84-87 cars are always looking for it.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2022 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugh well you learn something new every day. Wish I knew this a couple years ago. I'm going to have to add that to my list to investigate for my 2.5l cradle swap.

Back to this didn't the 85-86 v6 also have a shock absorber as part of the motor mount assembly?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2022 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

...didn't the 85-86 v6 also have a shock absorber as part of the motor mount assembly?

Yes. Right near the compressor. I believe it was on the 87, too. It was not on the 88.

I know that GM wouldn't spend any money unnecessarily but, for the life of me, I don't know what the heck it's supposed to accomplish.
I'm not sure whether it had more to do with the 85-87 externally balanced V6 crank, or the way the engines were mounted. (Balance and mounting both changed for 88.)
I wonder if it was used on the early X-Bodies (Citation, etc.) which also used the externally balanced 2.8.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-10-2022).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2022 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:
Back to this didn't the 85-86 v6 also have a shock absorber as part of the motor mount assembly?

Originally posted by Raydar:
I know that GM wouldn't spend any money unnecessarily but, for the life of me, I don't know what the heck it's supposed to accomplish.

The shock stiffens up with rapid movements, such as when the powertrain is torqued during a launch or hard shift.

With the shock that stiffens up, the normal dogbone rubber can be made softer, transmitting less NVH to the car under normal operation, while still restraining powertrain movement during launch.

I got rid of my shock absorber once I got a poly dogbone, because I figured the shock had become useless.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-10-2022).]

Fiero Master

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2022 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which set of holes would I need to use on the transmission mount for a 5 speed?

------------------
88 Formula

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2022 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Master:

Which set of holes would I need to use on the transmission mount for a 5 speed?

It has been so long since I have used stock mount, I can't remember. However, there is only 1 set of holes for the rear transmission mount, so set that, then make the transmission square with the cradle and the front transmission mount will be closer to one set of holes, and you should use those.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock