No oil pressure by willyt
Started on: 10-30-2022 12:22 PM
Replies: 30 (550 views)
Last post by: willyt on 01-14-2023 08:58 PM
willyt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced my oil pan gasket, when starting up after filling with oil my pressure gauge stayed at 0. I shut it off right away, but I’m wondering what to do next. Any ideas on what to check? The pickup and screen looked good when the pan was off.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a way to cut spark and fuel so I can crank it over and see if the oil pressure builds?
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

willyt

137 posts
Member since Apr 2020
Okay I just disconnected the coil and fuel pump relay and cranked the motor, no change, it is not building oil pressure. Is there anything else to check besides pulling the pan again?
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can’t imagine it would be plugged with seeing some major goop in the pan when you changed it. Suppose the pickup tube could have fallen off…. Pull a valve cover off , see if oil is making it up there.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can bring the oil pressure in two ways.

1- Remove all spark plugs so the the engine spins faster and crank it 10 seconds at time until you get oil pressure. Make sure you do it with the key in the ON position so the gauge is powered up and can read.

2- I'm assuming this is a distributor 2.8L. Remove the cap and mark the position of the rotor on the distributor housing. Mark the distributor housing to the block for reference when installing it back. Remove the distributor. Get a drill with an extension and a socket to match the hex size of the distributor shaft and with the drill spin the pump until you get oil pressure.
Install distributor and rotor back matching the marks you made on the block and housing

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 10-30-2022).]

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try these next weekend when I can get back to my car.

My follow up question on this is:

Would there be any reason my oil pressure would take awhile to build after dropping the pan? Should I start by trying to build oil pressure or should I start by dropping the pan and seeing if the pickup tube fell off?

Thanks!
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you relying on the dash gauge to read pressure?

For giggles, hook up a compression tester and check the compression on the pistons. If oil isn't making it up there, there shouldn't be compression.

Also, as was suggested, remove a valve cover and visually watch for oil, while spinning the oil pump manually.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2022 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

Are you relying on the dash gauge to read pressure?

Yeah, my first reaction to the OP's situation would be to double-check that the oil pressure sensor (and gauge) are indeed both working properly.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick and Arthur,

Yes I am relying on my gauge for oil pressure. Before dropping the pan my oil pressure and gauge always reacted as I would expect.

Now it's reading zero. I wouldn't think anything would have changed with the gauge, but stranger things have happened. (Patrick, you may remember my last thread on here where I had two plug wires switched....)

My initial thought (which may very well be wrong) is that it would make the most sense to drop the pan again, as it seems most likely something like the pickup tube fell off during installation.

Does it really make sense to go through the trouble of pulling a valve cover just to confirm that oil is or isn't reaching the top of the motor?

Thanks again for the help.
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by willyt:

Patrick and Arthur,

Yes I am relying on my gauge for oil pressure. Before dropping the pan my oil pressure and gauge always reacted as I would expect.

Now it's reading zero. I wouldn't think anything would have changed with the gauge, but stranger things have happened. (Patrick, you may remember my last thread on here where I had two plug wires switched....)

My initial thought (which may very well be wrong) is that it would make the most sense to drop the pan again, as it seems most likely something like the pickup tube fell off during installation.

Does it really make sense to go through the trouble of pulling a valve cover just to confirm that oil is or isn't reaching the top of the motor?

Thanks again for the help.

Normally, I am not one to pipe up. But you seem to be suffering from the same case of panic brain that I frequently suffer. Unless you noticed the pickup was loose and wobbly while the pan was off, the likelihood of it falling and you not noticing is very, very low. The likelihood of you accidently snagging a oil sending gauge wire, or something coming dislodged when the pan was removed, in my opinion seems much more likely

Furthermore, you are relying on one of the least reliable gauges (in my experience) in the car, to determine the status of a very important function of the engine. I wouldn't trust a Fiero electric gauge if it told me the sky was blue.

What I would do is find your sender and make sure everything is all hooked up right. And if it is, but is still showing no oil, unscrew the sender and screw in an el cheapo advanced auto oil pressure gauge in its place. This would be far easier to dinking around the valve covers and squirting oil everywhere. Crank the engine and see if the gauge bounces, you shouldn't need to remove the plugs to crank fast. It should build something.

Please keep us posted!

George
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
George, thanks for your reply.

I will take everyone's advice and verify oil pressure before jumping to any conclusions. Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

I'll update this weekend when I can get back to the care and try a few things.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2022 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Unless you noticed the pickup was loose and wobbly while the pan was off, the likelihood of it falling and you not noticing is very, very low. The likelihood of you accidently snagging a oil sending gauge wire, or something coming dislodged when the pan was removed, in my opinion seems much more likely.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

But yeah, you don't want to make assumptions either way. Temporarily attaching an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge (if nothing seems obviously wrong with the factory setup) to confirm oil pressure is a good idea.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2022 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just hooked up a mechanical gauge, and still no pressure. Anyone have any thoughts?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2022 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just hooked up a mechanical gauge, and still no pressure. Anyone have any thoughts?

Well damn.

Before dropping the pan, I'd try what is suggested below. I use a modified junk distributor (powered by a drill) for this purpose.

Originally posted by La fiera:

I'm assuming this is a distributor 2.8L. Remove the cap and mark the position of the rotor on the distributor housing. Mark the distributor housing to the block for reference when installing it back. Remove the distributor. Get a drill with an extension and a socket to match the hex size of the distributor shaft and with the drill spin the pump until you get oil pressure.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2022 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing you did not remove the pump, while the pan was off.
But if you did... IIRC, there is a driveshaft that goes between the distributor and the oil pump.

I would be inclined to pull the distributor, and use a prime tool to pump up the oil pressure. The pump might be trying to start without a prime.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2022 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I'm guessing you did not remove the pump, while the pan was off.
IIRC, there is a driveshaft that goes between the distributor and the oil pump.

Yes... maybe that oil pump driveshaft is missing!

Willy, did you accidentally pull the driveshaft out with the distributor... and not put it back in?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-12-2022).]

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2022 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don’t believe so, I didn’t remove the Distributer, and I don’t think I touched anything when I removed the oil pan. But obviously I messed something up.
greenturnedblue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2022 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for greenturnedblueSend a Private Message to greenturnedblueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps you bumped the oil pickup tube when fiddling around with the pan. Now it is sucking air
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help on this thread. I am going to try to prime through the distributor, and if that doesn't work it's back to pulling the pan to see what's going on. Unfortunately it's going to be about 4 weeks until I can get to it, so I will have an update here then.

Thanks again.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2022 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Willy, did you make any progress this past weekend?
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2022 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Willy, did you make any progress this past weekend?

I have also been wondering if a solution has been found.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2022 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It'll be awhile yet!

Unfortunately it's going to be about 4 weeks until I can get to it, so I will have an update here then.

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2022 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry everyone, I have been off of the forum for a few weeks. Got married and went on a honeymoon. My plan was to work on it again this weekend but I sliced my hand open pretty good last night and got a few stitches.

Can't catch a break over here but i'll be back at my barn this weekend. Progress may be slower with a bum hand but hopefully it is feeling better by then and I can get a few things done.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2022 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry everyone, I have been off of the forum for a few weeks. Got married and went on a honeymoon. My plan was to work on it again this weekend but I sliced my hand open pretty good last night and got a few stitches.

Sounds like you've got more important things to be concerned with (both good and bad) than the car... or us. Congrats on the marriage!
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2023 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the long delay in posing on this thread. I have been busy lately as mentioned above, and have not had the time or energy to work on this.

Finally getting back to the Fiero this weekend, my plan is to test for oil pressure one more time, then pull the pan back off to figure out what's going on.

I'm shopping around for an oil pan gasket to make sure I'm prepared, is there any good answer on what the best gasket is for an early style 2.8? RTV or just the cork gasket? There is a lot of conflicting information on these.

Thanks! I'll reply with my findings once I make some progress
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2023 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil pump may have lost its prime. As mentioned try driving the oil pump with an electric drill. It may take a minute or so to get the pump packed with oil.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2023 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did as suggested and primed it with a drill. I now have great oil pressure, but I did pick up a pretty loud tick, it sounds like it’s coming from the valve covers. Lifter tick I’m assuming. Any ideas on what to do?
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2023 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would remove the spark plugs and pull the fuel pump fuse. Crank the engine for 30 seconds making sure there is oil pressure Then repeat the test driving the oil pump with an electric drill and see if the noise has gone away. The theory being that the lifters need to see some oil.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2023 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long would it take for oil to reach the lifters? I had it running for probably 1-2 minutes with it ticking
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2023 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How long would it take for oil to reach the lifters? I had it running for probably 1-2 minutes with it ticking

It should take 5-10 seconds but, maybe they got air for all that cranking. Just start it and let it run as long as you have oil pressure, they will pump up.

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, will it hurt anything to run it while it’s ticking?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock