Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Broken spark plug on 2.8L. Of course it isn't on the "easy" side of motor....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Broken spark plug on 2.8L. Of course it isn't on the "easy" side of motor.... by SKJSS
Started on: 01-26-2022 08:15 PM
Replies: 12 (284 views)
Last post by: dan596 on 02-06-2022 05:39 PM
SKJSS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2022 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted earlier about finding an exhaust manifold, thinking I had cracked mine. Welp...I should be so lucky. It's not the manifold...the car broke a spark plug. Now the fun part of trying to extract the stupid thing. Of course it's on the side of the engine closest to the firewall. Access to it isn't optimal. The shop that has the car doesn't work on Fieros a lot. Any tips I can give them on accessing the rear plugs? Hoping the broken one can be pulled out without crumbling or boogering the thread and needing a helicoil.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2022 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The search function will turn up plenty of threads where a broken spark plug needed to be extracted.

When I had to deal with replacing the exhaust manifold (and drilling out broken manifold bolts) on the forward side of my 2.8, I removed the two rear cradle bolts and tipped the cradle down. This gave me a lot more room up front in which to work. This may not be necessary for your task. It's even possible that the broken plug can be accessed from below the engine.
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2022 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2022 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing the rear deck lid should give enough room to work on it

mark the bolt location when taking off the lid to make it easier to align when putting it back on
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spray the spark plug down heavily in penetrating oil and allow it to soak--preferably in a puddle of penetrating oil in the plug well--for at least a few days.

The style of extractor shown below is proven effective on spark plug shells:

Not from a Fiero, but still applicable.

Originally posted by Patrick:

When I had to deal with replacing the exhaust manifold (and drilling out broken manifold bolts) on the forward side of my 2.8, I removed the two rear cradle bolts and tipped the cradle down. This gave me a lot more room up front in which to work. This may not be necessary for your task. It's even possible that the broken plug can be accessed from below the engine.

This is also very effective for improving access. In addition to the rear cradle bolts, you'll need to disconnect the dogbone brace on top of the engine bay.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-28-2022).]

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/145278.html

Oh, yeah, that was fun. The good news was that the plug itself was intact, but the hex was rounded over.

Those Irwin deep extractors paid for themselves with the very first use.

OP: the front plugs are definitely a pain, but depending on how big your arms are, it can go from "okay, this isn't great" to "I can not physically put my arms in this space"
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to a very exclusive club!

Anti-sieze will become your friend.

I've hung up the tap/plug above the toolbox to remind me to loosen and reset the plugs once a year!
SKJSS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2022 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2022 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that one (and/or all three of them) have been in there for quite awhile!

So what did you need to do to get 'em out?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-01-2022).]

SKJSS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2022 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SKJSSSend a Private Message to SKJSSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shop got them out...it just wasn't something I was comfy tackling on my own due to the access issues on the firewall side. They said they got the broken one out with an extractor and it came out easily...thank heavens. The other two they hammered a socket down on top of to get a tight grip on it and they came out fairly easily as well. 6 new plugs later and I'm back on the road. Yes...I also am giving it cap/rotor/wires/air cleaner. Kinda wonder if those darn plugs were original to the car, LOL!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2022 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to hear you got them out!
PFF
System Bot
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2022 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SKJSS:

Kinda wonder if those darn plugs were original to the car

With the patina on exterior it would appear that way (if they are original there should be a colored dot on the very top where spark plug wire goes on), however the electrodes are hardly worn, how many miles on the car?

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 02-02-2022).]

dan596

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2022 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dan596Send a Private Message to dan596Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it all worked out! Backside is not as tight as other things, but not fun doing it blind, particularly from the top. Does this mean you are keeping the car?

------------------
07 Vette
04 R32
09 CRV
05 Sun Voyager
soon hopefully - Fiero GT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors