Buying a 86 Fiero by canslimkevin
Started on: 01-26-2022 07:18 PM
Replies: 3 (479 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 01-27-2022 02:15 PM
canslimkevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2022 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canslimkevinSend a Private Message to canslimkevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just went test drove an 86 Fiero GT with a 5 speed manual transmission. the paint was amazing! It had a few quirks though that I am concerned about and wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts....

The oil pressure had to build up before the car would start. You would need to try to start the car for a split second and then let it sit with the key in the accesory postion and then after a few seconds the oil light would turn off and it would start? Is there an eletrical component that build the oil pressure? This just seemed strange and I cant find anything about it. The head gasket is leaking. the heater works REALLY well but not sure about the AC when testing the ac in 30 degree weather its not really a confirmation....

No rust around the battery mount or any other of the typical places.... I plan to have my mechanic look at it before comitting to purchase.

It drove well and the clutch seems OK.... there is a small tear in the passenger seat and there is some warping in the trim pieces around the cneter guages.

The headlights opened and closed but there was a clunking when closing that was concerning. Also the windsheild washer wasnt squirting :-) The owner is asking 5700 and it has 85300 miles. Also the temp guage seems to be dead. And from time to time the gas guage needle would peg past full but then correct itself when turned off and on again. I know the gas guage is incorrect because it stated there as a quarter tank but when we made our final stop the car wouldnt start again. We didnt suspect it was out of gas but then we added a gallon and it started right up.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I have pictures if anyone is interested and a video too!

------------------
Kevin

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2022 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canslimkevin:

No rust around the battery mount or any other of the typical places.... I plan to have my mechanic look at it before comitting to purchase.

So, you're from Knoxville, eh? My '88 Formula was originally from Knoxville TN, via Washington State. Welcome!

Make sure you and/or your mechanic watch the following video... prior to any purchase!

Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2022 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canslimkevin:

Just went test drove an 86 Fiero GT with a 5 speed manual transmission. the paint was amazing! It had a few quirks though that I am concerned about and wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts....

The oil pressure had to build up before the car would start. You would need to try to start the car for a split second and then let it sit with the key in the accesory postion and then after a few seconds the oil light would turn off and it would start? Is there an eletrical component that build the oil pressure? This just seemed strange and I cant find anything about it. The head gasket is leaking. the heater works REALLY well but not sure about the AC when testing the ac in 30 degree weather its not really a confirmation....

It drove well and the clutch seems OK.... there is a small tear in the passenger seat and there is some warping in the trim pieces around the cneter guages.

The headlights opened and closed but there was a clunking when closing that was concerning. Also the windsheild washer wasnt squirting :-) The owner is asking 5700 and it has 85300 miles. Also the temp guage seems to be dead. And from time to time the gas guage needle would peg past full but then correct itself when turned off and on again. I know the gas guage is incorrect because it stated there as a quarter tank but when we made our final stop the car wouldnt start again. We didnt suspect it was out of gas but then we added a gallon and it started right up.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I have pictures if anyone is interested and a video too!

Without seeing photos, regardless of the paint condition, that is way too many issues for that kind of money, probably closer to $2700 is realistic.

Compare to one like this... https://dallas.craigslist.o...o-gt/7435925820.html Looks like nice original paint (minus front bumper and hood), nice original interior (minus a few ill add-ons), most likely rust-free Texas car, low miles, engine compartment looks original and unmolested and the intake/valve cover paint is excellent, so based on those few observations alone you can tell it was a nice well-kept car most of its life until recently, and it wouldn't take much to make it a very nice car again.

Or this one... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/079533.html

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 01-27-2022).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2022 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too many issues. IMO, the price is way too high.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock