84 Rear brake issue by Grumsfiero
Started on: 01-21-2022 12:55 PM
Replies: 5 (277 views)
Last post by: Grumsfiero on 01-22-2022 05:23 PM
Grumsfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrumsfieroSend a Private Message to GrumsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen, first post, thanks for having me.
I found an older thread while googling regarding a fitment issue when installing new pads and rotors on an 84. The guy couldn’t get everything to fit and wondered if the rotor was too thick or if the piston wasn’t depressed enough. Eventually he thought he’d gotten the inside front pad mixed with the inside rear as the two are the same footprint but different thicknesses. We’ll I’m here to tell you he wasn’t losing his mind, like I have been for the last two days, the rear pads being sold under the Centric brand are too thick to make everything fit. I had a separate sealed box of front pads and they do indeed have a thinner pad which when paired with the outer rear pad makes everything fit properly. The thick rear pad can then be used on the front because the front piston depresses in further than the rear. Sorry for the long explanation but I hope this helps someone else.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grumsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrumsfieroSend a Private Message to GrumsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit:
Moving the rear pad forward creates the same issue. I will assume that the Centric brake pads for the rear are incorrect. The inside pad is several mil too thick.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2022 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RockAuto shows this number:

CENTRIC 10202620 C-TEK
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like your mechanic may not be retracting the rear caliper pistons properly. The best way to do that is by using the adjusting screw at the back. Some have done it by twisting the piston from the inside end but I've never had any luck with that . You take off the nut then adjustment lever, seals and turn the shaft by hand and the piston will retract into the bore. If you try to use the brake piston compression tool you will damage the caliper internally. IMO, the Fiero rear breaking system leaves quite a bit to be desired but you can get it to work with a bit of fiddling

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Grumsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrumsfieroSend a Private Message to GrumsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

RockAuto shows this number:

CENTRIC 10202620 C-TEK

Yes, those were the ones ordered. I’ve compared the pads to some old ones on another project car with a recently replaced rear caliper and there is a noticeable difference in thickness. Granted the old ones had some wear, but the difference is quite different.
Grumsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2022 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrumsfieroSend a Private Message to GrumsfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grumsfiero

5 posts
Member since Jan 2022

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It sounds like your mechanic may not be retracting the rear caliper pistons properly. The best way to do that is by using the adjusting screw at the back. Some have done it by twisting the piston from the inside end but I've never had any luck with that . You take off the nut then adjustment lever, seals and turn the shaft by hand and the piston will retract into the bore. If you try to use the brake piston compression tool you will damage the caliper internally. IMO, the Fiero rear breaking system leaves quite a bit to be desired but you can get it to work with a bit of fiddling

Quite correct Dennis. I’m the mechanic on this job and I’ve definitely got them compressed all the way ( double checked with the Ogre’s info ). I’ve got a similar set in my ‘80 T/A so I’m comfortable working on them. It seems to boil down to the pad thickness. Weird???

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock