Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84' Auto Shifting issues -- Shifter Not Engaging Trans.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
84' Auto Shifting issues -- Shifter Not Engaging Trans. by Brivander
Started on: 01-19-2022 10:22 AM
Replies: 4 (69 views)
Last post by: Brivander on 01-19-2022 08:45 PM
Brivander

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrivanderSend a Private Message to BrivanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, the transmission is completely fine, but I have an intermittent shifting issue. Once in gear the trans runs and shifts flawlessly.

When I first get in the car, and try to shift to drive, sometimes it doesn't shift at all, or will end up in reverse. Other times it is 100% fine. Obviously it something in the engagement at the T-handle or mechanism. Before I rip the whole thing apart is there a common wear issue I should be looking for? Wear on the T-Handle? Wear on the plastic plunger? Wear anywhere else that is common?

Also, I didn't notice this until extremely cold weather, and am not sure if it is related or not. (moving the car around in the garage, etc.)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is the ATF level correct? When's the last time the filter was replaced?
Brivander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrivanderSend a Private Message to BrivanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Is the ATF level correct? When's the last time the filter was replaced?

Yes, and last year, it is NOT the transmission. It's somewhere ahead of that in the shifting mechanism. You can "feel" that it doesn't move correctly right away.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shifter can have crap causing problems... quick check pull out ashtrays and use flashlight.

Interlock to steering can bind etc.
See my Cave, Auto Shifter

Iffy NNS on trans end maybe have problems or bad.
See my Cave, Neutral Safety Switch

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Brivander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrivanderSend a Private Message to BrivanderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Shifter can have crap causing problems... quick check pull out ashtrays and use flashlight.

Interlock to steering can bind etc.
See my Cave, Auto Shifter

Iffy NNS on trans end maybe have problems or bad.
See my Cave, Neutral Safety Switch

Thanks sir, I'll take it apart this weekend. It's held together by basically nothing, so that's no issue, lol

The shifter moves no problem, but it's clearly not always "grabbing" correctly all the time. I'll use it 10 times and this may occur only once. I was hoping there was a known wear issue, but I'll get it figured out.

I've already pulled the T-Handle and depressed the plunger by hand. Same thing. Intermittent.

[This message has been edited by Brivander (edited 01-19-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock