3800 sc swap by jasper
Started on: 01-18-2022 05:55 PM
Replies: 3 (577 views)
Last post by: Ferio85 on 01-28-2022 10:08 AM
jasper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasperSend a Private Message to jasperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About to pick up a 2006 Grand Prix GT (SC series 3 motor) with 100k original on the clock. Its in a running car that I will use for a while before doing my swap. I want to start to upgrade it while I'm using it in the GP, and am looking for opinions on doing these mods to this stock supercharged engine. I don't expect to do any engine work at this time, like porting or changing the cam unless these mods are foolish to do for short term use of the existing car. So these are the mods:
1. Change the SC pully
2. Put on a Northstar throttle body
3. Put on a set of powerlogs.
4. Have the ECM reprogrammed.

So the questions I have are the following:

1. What would be a rough estimate of HP change/Torque change.
2. Can the Northstar be converted to a throttle cable from a drive by wire setup when I put it in the fiero
3. Does fuel pressure need to be increased, over the stock pump and if so, by how much.

Any other opinions/info that may contribute to the overall upgrade of this motor while it is in use in the current car would be appreciated. Also any other modifications that are absolutely necessary before the trransplant would also be appreciated. The trans in the fiero will be manual, so I realize there will be mods associated with that when the time comes.

Thx,
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You intend to modify an engine for more horsepower that has 100,000 miles on it? That may not be the best approach.
If you have a sound engine, putting on a N* throttle body will increase throttle response but it will require adjustment to MAF table and TPS table. If you use the larger 75 MM TB then the stock MAF will prove restrictive. You will also need to upgrade to a larger MAF sensor like the LS1. The only 3800 engines that you can operate drive by wire are the series III 2004 -2008 engines that have all the components for a synergistic operation. Those engines are hard to modify but you before you get going I would freshen up the long block.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jasper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2022 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jasperSend a Private Message to jasperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis........
Ferio85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferio85Send a Private Message to Ferio85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be easier to swap my 3.8 in my 85 ferio or build up the 2.8 in it. Is there any mods I have that do . Will the break booster bolt up to

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock